Chapter 4

Alive

    For the next few days, their new routine continued. Being around Seungkwan was like a breath of fresh air. Vernon loved it.

    Seungkwan continued to sing for him; he didn't even have to ask. He sang sad songs, love songs, bubbly pop songs, and even tried to rap. Vernon soon discovered that was one musical style Seungkwan just couldn't pull off. At all. Even so, he didn't say anything because listening to it never failed to make him laugh. Strangely, Seungkwan seemed to enjoy rapping quite a lot. Although Vernon muffled his laughter well, one day it bursted forth. 

    Seungkwan paused in mid-rap, turning to Vernon. He pulled a shocked face, trying to look horribly offended. "Are you laughing at me right now? At me? Is my rap that funny?" Sassily, he brushed a piece of hair across his forehead. "Huh, Vernon? Is it?"

    Unfortunately, this made Vernon laugh even harder, much to Seungkwan's further fury. After a few seconds, Vernon managed to form a sentence. "Sorry," he laughed. "Your rapping's just too funny! I've never heard anything quite like it."

    Hearing this, Seungkwan visibly pouted. He turned away from Vernon, crossing his arms across his chest. Then he continued with the rap he had been doing before Vernon began to laugh. Hearing it again only made Vernon continue to laugh. However, when Seungkwan finished, he actually joined in on the laughter.

    "I really listened to myself that time, and yes, I agree. It was pretty bad," he said in between breaks in giggles.

    Somehow, Seungkwan always managed to make him smile and laugh. They quieted down and then just sat side by side for a few minutes. 

    "You know, have you been to the beach yet, Vernon?" Seungkwan suddenly asked.

    Vernon had planned on going, but strangely had not visited it officially yet. "No, I haven't been yet."

    "Well, the best time to go if you're planning on swimming is mid-afternoon, but I recommend going around sunset for the view. After dark, when the stars come out is a good time, too."

    Vernon hmmm-ed in reply.

    "Tomorrow. I can take you, if you want to go."

    "Okay. I'd like that."

    Seungkwan smiled.

    "I'm not much of a swimmer, so we can go at sunset," Vernon said.

    "Then let's meet here tomorrow around 5 o'clock," Seungkwan replied.

    Vernon nodded, feeling strangely giddy.

                                                 ______________________________________________________________________________

 

    The next day passed quickly, with Vernon mostly lounging around his hotel room until 5 o'clock rolled around. He walked to the rock on the cliff, where they had promised to meet. Seungkwan, by the looks of things, had not arrived yet, so Vernon just stood and gazed out across the ocean as he waited.

    Suddenly, he heard a loud crunching sound and panting breaths. Running toward him with weariness, Seungkwan yelled, "Sorry! I unexpectedly had to stay longer at the park today. They needed help."

    Breathing heavily, he grabbed his thighs as he crouched over. 

    "Don't worry about it. I haven't been here for that long," Vernon reassured him.

    Seungkwan smiled. "Well then, let's get going. Follow me!"

    Following some imaginary trail that only Seungkwan could see, they made their way to the beach from the cliff. Along the way, Seungkwan sang songs about traveling, and somehow, that made Vernon enjoy the walk even more.

    They eventually reached the beach, and as they sat foot onto the sand, Vernon began to lift his head from staring at his feet as he walked. However, two soft hands quickly covered his eyes as he looked up. 

    Leaning to speak quietly into his ear, Seungkwan whispered, "Don't look yet."

    "Listen around you. Do you hear the waves? The birds? The wind? Now picture what you think the sun and the ocean will look like when you open your eyes. Whatever you picture, I can guarantee the real thing is a thousand times more beautiful," he continued.

    Vernon focused on the sounds first: the loud cries of the seagulls, the harsh crash of the waves. Then he tried to picture the sunset, thinking of all the beautiful ones he had seen. Somehow, none of them seemed to fit.

    "Now look." And Seungkwan lifted his hands from Vernon's eyes.

    And he was right. Nothing compared to the sight in front of him. The sky was a beautiful mix of pinks, purples, oranges, and blues. The ocean seemed to glow as the sun slowly sank down. Seagulls flew around and the wind blew powerfully. Vernon was absolutely mesmerized.

    He took a step back in shock. "This is breathtaking," he breathed.

    "Now you see what I mean."

    Vernon slowly nodded, his mouth hanging open slightly as he continued to gaze at the sky. They stood and watched together quietly as the sun completed its journey and the stars began to appear. 

    The sky was so clear. It was strange to be able to see so many stars after living in the city for so many years. 

    "I firmly believe this is one of the best views of the night sky in the world," Seungkwan said proudly. 

    Vernon had to agree.

    Seungkwan abruptly reached out and grasped Vernon's hand before pulling him down to lay on the sand and look up at the stars. However, he didn't let his hand go. Vernon kind of liked the feeling and the warmth of Seungkwan's fingers against his. 

    "This is my favorite way to look. It feels like you could just fall asleep under all the little lights in the sky if you wanted to."

    "I like it," Vernon replied softly. 

    Seungkwan began to hum quietly, staring up at the twinkling stars. Vernon let his eyes close for a few seconds, relaxing into the sound and the surroundings. After a few minutes, Seungkwan stopped and shifted into a new position, facing Vernon and gently smiling. Vernon faced him and returned the smile, really meaning it. 

    "Thank you, Seungkwan. This has been beautiful. I'm so glad you decided to show me."

    A soft look crossed Seungkwan's face for a moment. "You're welcome."

    They stared at each other for a few moments, the waves lapping at the shore around them in the darkness.    

    Seeming to finally realize their hands were still joined, Seungkwan sputtered and quickly let go. "Oh! I'm sorry. I hope that wasn't uncomfortable..."

    "It's fine." And it was.