Chapter 3

Alive

    The pattern continued for the next few days. Every afternoon, as the sun cast its warm evening glow across the island, Vernon would sit by the rock and wait for the boy to arrive. Somehow, the boy continued to not notice him. Vernon assumed he was just too absorbed in his singing. He felt like he should probably make his presence known, and every day he told himself he would finally say something, but he never followed through with his plan.

    He wanted to enjoy the boy's singing for as long as he could and thought if he revealed himself the boy might not come anymore. Days later, as he leaned against the rock after a long day of touring the island, his eyes drifted shut. He snapped awake quickly, but his eyes soon began closing again. It happened a few more times and eventually Vernon succumbed to sleep.

    However, he forgot that the boy had not yet arrived for the day and that he had a tendency to sometimes loudly snore in his sleep. Vernon had learned from a young age that it was better if he slept by himself. 

    Even so, he was startled when he was awoken by a hand gently shaking and tapping his shoulders. Blearily, he blinked and slowly focused on the person leaning over him. It was the boy. 

    "Are you okay?" the boy asked in a rush, his eyes worriedly searching Vernon's face. "I was walking over here and suddenly I heard a loud noise coming from around this rock. I came to check it out and then found you, but your eyes were closed, and I couldn't really see your chest rising, so I thought you might be de------!"

    The boy stopped, looking embarrassed. He lowered his head and mumbled, "Sorry, I tend to ramble." 

    "But I'm glad you're okay. I know I probably should have known you were alive by your snoring, but I'm not always observant."

    The boy quietly chuckled, Vernon staring up at him. 

    "I guess I just fell asleep here somehow," Vernon mumbled, running a hand nervously through his hair.

    "I don't know how great this spot is for napping, but I do like to come here every afternoon. It relaxes me after a long day," the boy replied. "This is a good place to sing."

    He looked off across the ocean, the afternoon sun coloring the landscape.

    "Do you think I could hear you sing?"

    The boy turned around sharply and stared at Vernon.

    "That probably is a little strange to say to a stranger. Sorry. Um...you look like you would have a wonderful voice," Vernon said sheepishly.

    There was silence for a few seconds. 

    "Sure. I'll sing for you."

    And so he did. It was a song Vernon had not heard in the days since he had started coming to the rock. But it was beautiful, and Vernon was captivated. He felt his mouth begin to open slightly in awe. 

    The smooth tones permeated across the grass, the rocks, and the sky. Amazingly, the boy did not seem uncomfortable singing in front of a stranger. It seemed like it didn't affect him at all.

    And soon, it was over. Vernon just stared in amazement. The boy looked over and laughed quietly, seeing Vernon's expression.

    "That was beautiful," Vernon said. And he meant it.

    Upon hearing the words of praise, the boy blushed slightly and looked down. Then suddenly, he whipped his head up, staring intensely at Vernon.

    "Are you the one I met at the park yesterday? You look familiar," the boy asked.

    "Um, yes, I am. And you were the one picking up branches, right?"

    "That was me," the boy laughed. "My name's Seungkwan, by the way."

    "Vernon. Nice to meet you, officially."

    Seungkwan smiled at that. Seeming to notice the darkening sky, he said, "Looks like it's getting dark. I better be getting back. It was good to meet you, Vernon."

    Seungkwan stood and began to start back on the path, turning to wave as he walked away. Vernon gave him a small wave back.  

    Sighing heavily once Seungkwan was out of sight, Vernon felt extremely glad that things had worked out like they did. He was thankful that Seungkwan hadn't noticed him on any of the days before and that today it had looked like he was just napping by the sea. He had narrowly avoided a probably intensely awkward situation. 

    And, it had been nice talking to Seungkwan, not to mention hearing him sing just for Vernon. As the sun's glow faded into darkness, Vernon himself began the walk back to his hotel, feeling just a little better than hours before.

                                          __________________________________________________________________________________

    
    The next day Vernon spent exploring all the little shops around the island. It was strange, seeing all the tourists mixed in with the locals. 

    It was a relaxing day overall, but Vernon became nervous as he walked to the rock later in the afternoon. He wondered if Seungkwan would be back. He sat down, but in a more visible place this time.

    Vernon watched the sea as he waited, the waves foaming as they met the sand below him. Suddenly, he heard a sweet sound over the noise of the ocean and the wind. He knew it was Seungkwan.

    It was a happier song today, as far as Vernon could tell. Turning around, he noticed Seungkwan had his eyes closed as he neared, absorbed in the music. As he sang the ending notes, Seungkwan opened his eyes, now right next to Vernon. 

    He jumped, noticing Vernon staring up at him. "You scared me! I guess you're back again today; it's a nice little spot, isn't it?"

    "It is," Vernon replied, chuckling. "The view is pretty amazing."

    They both looked out at the ocean, the green hills framing the water on each side.

    Sitting down beside Vernon, Seungkwan said, "You'd think you'd be used to it by now, seeing something like this everyday. But for me, every time I see it, it's like looking for the first time."

    His lips tilted up in a fond smile as he stared. Vernon mmm-ed in reply. They sat in silence for a few minutes, just observing the scenery together. 

    "So what brings you here, despite the view?" Seungkwan asked.

    "It's a good place for napping."

    "Obviously."

    Deciding to be serious, Vernon answered, "I just felt like I needed to get away for a little while."

    "Away from what?"

    "My job----maybe my life. I've just been stressed lately and not really feeling excited about life in general. I just needed a change."

    Seungkwan nodded.

    Feeling embarrassed, Vernon said, "Sorry, it must be weird for a stranger to be telling you all his problems." 

    "Don't worry. I'm glad to listen."

    "Thank you."

    Turning to look Vernon directly in the eye, Seungkwan said, "You know, I can sing you a song to cheer you up. It's an original, by the way."

    "Um...sure," Vernon replied.

    Seungkwan then began to sing and it was as beautiful as before. However the "original" lyrics were, to put it nicely, interesting.

    "You gotta be happy~~. Forget about your troublessss. Don't let that dark cloud hang over youuuu. It doesn't matter when you singgggg. Stand tall like the Empire State Building~~~!"

    As the song continued, Vernon fought the urge to laugh, until he finally couldn't take it and burst out laughing.

    Looking confused, Seungkwan stopped. "What's wrong? Why are you laughing?"

    Seungkwan had no idea his lyrics were so horrible, and somehow that made Vernon laugh even harder.

    Finally seeming to realize, Seungkwan said, "It's the lyrics, isn't it? I knew they were too weird."

    He joined Vernon in his laughter. They laughed for a straight minute, and somehow, Vernon felt immensely better. Being around Seungkwan was like an instant energizer for his soul, and he realized that in just the few short times he had been around him.

    "That really did cheer me up, though probably not how you were intending," Vernon said, still shaking from the laughter.

    "Well, even though the lyrics failed, the song still worked. I'm glad."

    "Me too."

    As the afternoon light faded into twilight, they enjoyed each other's company. And Vernon felt truly happy, for the first time in a while.