Chapter 1

Alive

    Click. Click.

    Click.

    The sound of keys being pressed and mouses clicking filled Vernon's ears. Every day he heard the same sounds. Every day he sat in the same chair and filled out piles of paperwork and read meaningless documents until his head was spinning. Just as it was currently doing.

    He roughly set down the papers in his hand and sighed. Glancing out the large window in his office, he watched as cars sped past in the street below and lights flickered, twinkling in the darkness of the city. It was a beautiful sight but it was also one that reminded him of just how long he had been in the office. Twelve hour days were really taking a toll on him.

    Vernon, despite being a reasonably successful businessman at the young age of 26, was not truly happy. He felt suffocated in the the life he currently led. He felt lost.

    When he was younger he had thought the way to happiness was through a stable job and income. And it was in some ways. But as he had gotten older, the monotonous repetition of the same daily life and a generous paycheck every month was no longer enough to make him feel truly happy.

    As he stared at the still large stack of papers to be looked over, he felt an urge to just get up and leave his work unfinished in favor of actually getting rest. Trying to distract himself, he the small radio he kept on his desk. Loud music blared and he went back to reading.

    After a few minutes the song that had been playing was over and a few advertisements began to play. Tuning them out, Vernon continued reading. 

    "Ever feel like you're lost in your life? Like you're yearning for something more?"

    Vernon lifted his head from scanning the document he was currently reviewing.

    "Have you had enough of the hustle and bustle of the city and want to stay somewhere quiet with beautiful scenery and friendly people? Come visit Jeju Island with its scenic beaches, lovely weather year-round, and welcoming locals! We guarantee that you'll have a peaceful and enjoyable visit!" the advertiser said with enthusiasm.

    "Book a flight to Jeju Island today!"

    Then, the radio switched back to its regular music program. Vernon felt stunned. Maybe a peaceful trip was what he needed to relax? Maybe he would feel refreshed when he came back and would be happier in his everday life?

    In a spur of the moment decision, he booked a month-long trip to Jeju Island.

                                           ______________________________________________________________________________

    A few days later and he was on the plane preparing for takeoff. It was the first time he had been on a plane in at least five years, so he was nervous for the flight. Suddenly, the plane began moving and within minutes, it was flying in the clouds, Vernon looking down at the view of Seoul from overhead. 

    He was glad he was getting away for a little while.

    Vernon settled into his small seat and put on some music for himself, using the plane's provided headphones. His eyes slowly fluttered shut and soon he was asleep.

    Eventually, he was jolted awake by the plane captain informing everyone that the plane would be beginning its descent. 

    Looking out the window, he saw a vast stretch of water in all directions, and an approaching patch of green. His heart beating nervously at the sight, Vernon realized he had no plan for the trip beyond where he was staying on the island. He decided he would worry about it later.

    He felt the plane begin to tilt downward and soon it was back on the ground speeding toward the airport dock. Vernon quickly exited the plane with his single suitcase he had packed and was riding in a cab to his hotel within minutes. 

    He stared out the window of the car as the view of the blue ocean flew past and the green all around glinted in the light of the sun.

    "Beautiful, isn't it?" his driver asked.

    "Yes, it really is," Vernon replied, unable to tear his gaze away from the scenery.

    Minutes later, he arrived at his hotel, retrieved his room key, and began unpacking his bag. His room had a balcony, so he walked out on it and took in the peaceful view of the sea. Smelling the salt and the freshness in the air already made his heart feel better. Vernon closed his eyes and focused on the sound of the wind and the rustle of the leaves around him.

    He opened his eyes and continued to look around until he noticed a small rock near the edge of the grass, next to a small ledge where waves lapped at the shore. It was far away and looked fairly isolated, so Vernon thought it might be a good place for him to think. 

    He walked down the stairs of the hotel and onto a small path in the grass. Soon he arrived at the rock, and he sat down on the grass at the front of it, leaning on the hard surface. Vernon stared out at the vast ocean, hair whipping in the wind. 

    He began to think about what he wanted to do for the next month on the island. Maybe explore some nature trails? Definitely visit the beach more than a few times and check out the growing city on the island. Maybe he wou-------?

    Vernon was jerked out of his thoughts by the sound of a clear voice loudly singing over the sharp noise of the waves crashing against the shore. He couldn't tell the exact words that were being sung but the owner of the voice was clearly talented. The song sounded beautiful to Vernon, and he noticed it was slowly becoming even louder as the owner neared. 

    Looking over the top of the rock, he saw a boy slowly walking toward it, his mouth open wide as he sang with energy. He wore a baggy white t-shirt which whirled around in the wind along with his short brown hair. 

    As he got closer, Vernon didn't know if he should make himself known or not. He eventually decided to just sit there and see what the other person would do. Luckily, the boy veered toward a spot a few feet away from Vernon and sat down without noticing him, still continuing to sing. 

    Vernon stared at him. His voice was wonderful and Vernon felt his mind begin to clear and his heart begin to feel less heavy. He sat in silence, listening for long minutes. Without realizing it, his eyes began to drift closed and when he woke up next, it was dark and the boy with the beautiful voice was gone.