Oh, no!

Pride

 

Mila's POV

Hi, my name is Mila Aduam. I was born in West Africa, Ghana. I am 22 years old and I live in New York. I am Christian and I am fresh out of college with my master's degree. My most sane thing to do is to look for a job, since, finding jobs are quite hard. I am going to do that....only that it would be in another country. Beijing, China, specifically. I know that its risky but, I have God by my side. My parents were opposed to this at first, but, knowing that my cousin lives there, and will provide me with  a place to stay, they were okay.

 

I am currently, getting out of a taxi, not forgetting to take my suitcases with me. I gave the money that I owe the driver, thanked him and watched the taxi speed of. After that, I turned to the sliding doors of LaGuardia airport with a smile on my face. I then went in. I could not sleep a wink. I was too excited because I would be going to China!! I mean, come on. Not a lot of people get this opportunity. I made my way to check in and wait. 

 

After about an hour, I heard the cue for Beijing, China. It was going to leave in 10 minutes. With a start i sprang up, about to get my suitcases. But then it hit me. I already checked it in. Sigh. My forgetful self. I made my way to the line to go in the plane. I wish my parents where the last people I saw here, before going into the plane. But, they were busy with work so they couldn't come. The line got shorter and soon, I got my ticket. Now, we, as in I and the other people boarding the plane, were making our way to the door. I am tall, so I did not need to crane my neck to see some flight attendants welcoming us. Before I went in, I prayed for safety and protection. Knowing a lot of planes were crashing, I was a little worried.

 

 

When I was inside, I looked at my ticket, to see where I was assigned to sit. " B 40", I mumbled. After looking for my seat, I sat down, in good spirits, seeing that it was next to the window. There is just something peaceful about seeing the sky, admiring the landscapes and the ocean, from above. I got comfy, knowing this is going to be a 13-14 hour flight. After waiting for a while, in which, some flight attendants told us some instructions, the plane FINALLY took off.

 

 

A while later

 

5 hours has passed since take off. It was almost 8 in the evening since, I took the afternoon plane around 4 o'clock. I looked at my left, noticing that my seat mate was fast asleep. She fell asleep almost instantly, when she sat on her seat.' she must have been really tired', I thought. I had been listening to music, while, looking out the window. " Grroowwll...." it was my tummy's way of saying its hungry. I needed food. Like, right now. As if the flight attendant heard my request, she announced that there would be dinner, served soon. Also, as if on cue, the woman sitting beside me, woke up. " I heard dinner is going to be served..." , she mumbled, looking around. 'wow', I thought, ' she has supersonic hearing...'

 

 

Soon after, our food came. I chose chicken and broccoli with white rice. That is my favorite. I am so glad they had it. After eating and having a small chat with my seat mate, I was starting to get drowsy, seeing that it was around 10. So, I settled down comfortably and closed my eyes, saying a short prayer, then succumbed to my sleep.

 

 

The next thing I hear, is one of the flight attendants, announcing that we will be landing in Beijing in around 1 hour. I yawned, a little disoriented, while I stretched. Thinking about something quickly, after coming to my senses, I  made my way to the bathroom with my bag, so that I could freshen up an do my make up. Sorry but, I do not want to look like a zombie getting out of the airplane. After that, I went to my seat. I checked my phone. It was 6 in the morning. Not having anything to do, I looked out my window. And i was amazed. You could see thousands of miniature buildings nearing. They looked so little! I decided to take a picture. ' I will put it on instagram later', I thought, with a smile on my face.

 

 

The flight atattendant announced that we landed. You could hear cheers and whistling from the passengers. I laughed, finding it amusing, yet refreshing, after the almost 14 hour flight. While getting out of my seat, I made sure I did not leave anything. We all soon fell into a line, getting out of the plane. The minute I stepped into the airport, I felt ecstatic. I looked around and it was culture shock. The amount of the native people in here, shocked me. It was quite obvious, since, this was another country. There were only a few black people, including me. In New York, there was a variety of skin colors. But, here, they were all pale. While walking in the airport, I saw some native Chinese people looking at me. Some were pointing at me. Not that I mind though. They must be curious.

 

 

I called my cousing, Melissa. I told her that I was in Beijing Capital International Airport. She told me she would be there in 2 hours. The place she stayed was far. I made my way up the escalator, to the 2nd floor. I had to use the bathroom. I could have used the one on the first floor but, its too crowded. Arriving on the second floor, I went to look for the bathroom. Soon after, I found it. I took my time, knowing my cousin won't be here anytime soon. I was making my way to the escalator, that takes you back down to the first floor. I wanted to go and get my suitcases, then get something to eat. As I got to the escalator, unfortunately, I was not looking at where I was stepping. So, I slipped on the metal stairs. I was ready for my impact. But then, someone held onto me, preventing me from falling. It would have been an heroic act...well it still was, if the man holding me, did not slip too. In a second, we came crashing down on the floor, with a loud thud. I, with my eyes closed at the impact, opened my eyes and stared at the ceiling, in a daze. It was silent, for what felt like a minute. But then, I heard a groan.' oh, no', I thought. Comming to my senses, I noticed that I was practically on top of the said person, with my back, to his face. I quickly got off, knowing that I was on the heavy side. I did not want to squish him than I already did. I then turned around to face the man, ready to apologize.

 

 

 

 

How was the first chapter? I hope you all liked it! And, sorry for my rambling and grammatical errors! Please, don't hesitate to comment and tell me what you think. I also want to thank all the subscribers that were interested in my story. I hope I do not let you down!! :D

 

1,202 wrds.