chap 4

A different side of you and me

Jeongguk rest both of his hands on top of the mop holder and rest his chin on top of his hands, observing Taehyung carefully. Today Taehyung had the cashier shift so he take care of the customers while Jeongguk got the cleaning shift. Taehyung seem to say something as he hand the woman her plastic bag. She take it bow with her head, indicating 'thanks' and exit the store with her son. The kid, however, wave at Taehyung on his way out and Taehyung notice, waving back to the kid shyly and smile sheepishly.

Jeongguk continue sweeping the store and turn his back onto Taehyung when he notice the other peek at him.

Should he say -- Taehyung's just like an open book or.. so easy to read.

--

As everyone's taking a reak, Jeongguk fish out his phone straight away and start texting and playing games.

"Just t your fringe changed your image so much" Hoseok said, lifting Taehyung's bang out of the way.

"Really?" Taehyung chuckle fill the silence in the break room.

"Yeah, Taehyung-ah it's such a waste for you to cover your face" Hoseok nod in agreement, "Right Jeonggukie?"

"Huh?" Jeongguk look up from his phone after Hoseok elbow him in the arm, finally realizing the conversation Taehyung and Hoseok had right next to him.

"I was saying how Taehyung looks so refreshed after cutting his hair, don't you agree?"

"Ah--yeah" Jeongguk agree, letting out a gentle smile as he watch Hoseok ruffling Taehyung's hair, messing it up with such force. "It really suit him eh?"

 

--

 

"Wow! You got a haircut!!" one of the female co-worker compliment Taehyung whose get a complete haircut the next day instead of just t the bang. "Look so cute! So cute~~"

Taehyung gratefully smile as best as he can because he's thankful for the compliment but at the same time he doesn't know how to react around people he doesn't know personally, "Thanks.."

At the same time, in the corner of the shop, Jeongguk's hiding with his face hidden behind his hands. How do he put it... the way Taehyung act around Jeongguk is way too honest.

 

 

The kitten lower it body to the floor, eyeing the toy that Taehyung's holding in his hand and pounce toward it. Taehyung reflex at the action and jerk his hand away, not letting the kitten grab the toy, "Aha" he laugh.

"Eh.. there's seem to be more toys now?" Jeongguk whistle, looking around Taehyung room and there seem to be a box in the corner of his room fill with cat toys. Well, pet toys in general.

"Yep, that cause my parents keep buying them"

"Still, isn't this a lil too many?"

"Ah.. that because he really is too cute" Taehyung coo the kitten and pick it up, placing the kitten between his lap, "Makes you wanna spoil him"

"..Yeah, you're really cute"

"Eh?" Taehyung head jerk up almost instantly, "What did you said?"

"He's really cute..?"

"Oh.." Taehyung feel disappointed for a second before realizing whatever is happening around him, "Right, that's right---" Taehyung nod in agreement and look down at his lap where the kitten curl up in a ball. He can feel his face heat up in embarrassment.

'He was talking about the cat' Taehyung remind himself, 'Get a grip on yourself, you idiot!'

Jeongguk laid back against Taehyung's bed frame, fidgeting around with the cat toy Taehyung use earlier to play with the cat and watches Taehyung fluster from his own thoughts. The others' face flush red to to the tip of his ears and Jeongguk can't help but think that's adorable.

"..Wait till he start look at you in that way!" Jimin words run across Jeongguk's mind, "Then you will know how I feel"

Brushing it off as if that was nothing, Jeongguk lips quirk upward, forming a smile unconsciously. 'You really are a fool' Jeongguk thought, letting out a scoff, 'doing something so unnecessary'

 

--

 

"I'll be going then" Taehyung said pushing the glass door open.

"Okay," Hoseok reply, peeking out from one of the shelves and wave, "Thanks for your hard work"

Taehyung nod and head home, ready to eat some dinner and not frozen sandwich from the store. His phone buzz and he fish it out of his pocket, opening the message;

Jeongguk [7:18 pm]: I've brought it. Can I bring it over now?

"Pfft-" Taehyung snort to himself as he read Jeongguk's text over and over, making sure that it's not fake.

'Jeongguk.. He sure doesn't like to lose out' Taehyung thought happily, laughing to himself, 'Buying more toys than necessary..'

"Ok.. and sent!" Taehyung finish typing and send it to Jeongguk. He turn off his phone and place it back into his pocket.

"---Taehyung" a voice call out behind him and Taehyung halt at the familiar voice. It's been almost two years yet that voice still doesn't leave his head, he'll never forget that voice.. he's far too familiar with it to forget it. Taehyung turn around almost instantly. If he doesn't turn his body along with his head, he's pretty sure he would snap his neck. Sure enough, he was right. It was no other, Jimin. "Erm.." Jimin said, gripping on his backpack strap. He's still in his school uniform, guess he's just finish an school activities. "Could I.." Jimin start again, "..talk to you for awhile?"

Taehyung furrow his eyebrow, his hands shake in fear but his face keep a straight emotionless expression. He back away at Jimin comment, prepare to run off because he can't take another prank on him.

"Ah-" Jimin notice when Taehyung back away and bow full 90 degree, startling the latter, "S-SORRY!"

"Um.. what happened back then.. It has always been on my mind.. and I wanted to apologize to you" Jimin said, without looking up, still in his 90 degree bow. Taehyung figure Jimin doesn't want to make eye contact and he understand, he doesn't want to look at Jimin anyway. "I.. I was.. really scared.. of how other people were looking at me and the rumors going around.. as well as your feelings-" Taehyung eyes widen at that comment, especially that one. He swallow the pain down  his stomach, not wanting to look weak nor run away without saying anything.

At the same time, down the narrow street, Jeongguk's making his way toward Taehyung's house.

"Everything became such a mess --- I didn't know what to do anymore.. But even so, I knew doing that kind of thing to you was wrong. So.. I'm sorry - I'm really sorry!!"

Jeongguk was about to turn to his right, where Taehyung's house located, until he notice sniffle sound and small whine coming from two people standing in the middle of the sidewalk. A break up? A fight? Jeongguk pause in his track, he step back to observe from far away.

'That guy..?!' Jeongguk thought, furrowing his eyebrow and squitnting his eyes, making out that the person standing with their back to him is indeed Taehyung. And the person standing across Taehyung had his face down, both of his hands is wiping his cheeks with full force and hiccuping. The person keep saying 'sorry' over and over, he figures out the voice, Jimin. 'What is he doing..?'

"---It's alright" Taehyung said after a few minutes of thinking and digesting what Jimin said. "To be honest.. I don't know if I can forgive you" he stop as Jimin look up at him, making straight eye contact and Taehyung feel like he could bawl out crying under the pressure. The longer they stare at each other, more memories flooded Taehyung's mind. But he grit his teeth and continue, "But now, like this is already enough. So I hope you can forget the past and move on with your life."

Taehyung force himself to give the best smile he can, not daring to make any other expression. The smile may not look natural or gentle but he wasn't going for neither of those smiles. He didn't aim for an awkward smile either. He goes for the business smile he practice for months working at his part-time job. "You should let go of it, Jimin-ah" he feel like he's going to black out any second. Luckily, Jimin nod at the respond and slowly back away. "Don't think about it anymore, just.. forget it.." his voice trail off and crack as Jimin turn away, running off.

Taehyung sigh in relieve as Jimin's now gone. No one can see him breaking down.

A tear slip out of Taehyung's eye and he wipe it, "I'm sorry.." he mutter to himself.

"Hey" Jeongguk said, stepping out from his hiding spot and he can feel Taehyung flinch at his voice.

"Jeo - Jeongguk? Why are you here?"

"What did he say to you?"

"Eh?"

"Earlier that guy.. it was Jimin right!?" Jeongguk walk toward Taehyung like some predator hunting its prey. Slowly and carefully, he make sure each steps he take won't scare Taehyung away. That and Jeongguk didn't pull the I'm-going-to-kill-you look but more of a concern look. "He was talking to you for so long, what did he say?"

"Uh, no um.. it was nothing much" Taehyung, as oblivious as he is, didn't notice Jeongguk's concern expression, "I'm fine"

"Then why are you showing such an expression on your face?" Jeongguk hesitate to grab Taehyung's wrist, scare that he'll disappear and fade away once he touch the latter. He grab Taehyung's wrist anyway when he notice the latter about to flee, "In any case, you should've given him a good beating at least!!"

"..Uh I.." Taehyung furrow his eeybrow as he didn't understand what expression Jeongguk was talking about until he realize his face was showing a terrify expression unconsciously through Jeongguk's dark pupils. Jeongguk eyes focus on him like there's nothing else surround him, and he look like he's about to break apart, disappear and a huge wreck. "I can't do that.."

"I was really scare" Jimin's word run across his mind, slowly and painfully like a broken record that work randomly from time to time, "..How others people were looking at me.. and the rumors"

Taehyung gulp down the tears as Jimin's word stab his chest, "As well as your feelings.."

He stop Jimin's word before it can replay the whole conversation and stab him a second time, which he deem that he can't take it. He force himself to talk, "Because.. the one who was wrong.. was me" his voice almost crack when he talk but thankfully it didn't.

Jeongguk didn't say anything at all. No movement from him and he let go of Taehyung's wrist, deeming that the latter won't run away. Taehyung won't run away, not from Jeongguk at least. Not in the middle of the conversation, even if he want to run away and cry at home in the corner for several hours before his eyes puff red and fall asleep until the next day.

"I don't really get this" Jeongguk tsk, dropping his concern expression which Taehyung just now realize, "Why do you keep shielding him!?" Extending his arm, Jeongguk grab Taehyung's shirt collar and pull the latter off his feet. The same thing Jeongguk do to Jimin, except less forceful and no hatred behind it.

"Hey Kim Taehyung," Jeongguk call out Taehyung full name, dropping the honorific completely. "The only you like now is me right!?"

Taehyung froze at his spot, "It was so obvious.." Jeongguk start but Taehyung was already tuning him out.

Jimin's word come back to his mind, replaying the conversation once again. Except this time, the image of Jimin's hurt and cold expression appear in his mind.

"I was really scared.."

"You.." Jeongguk continue takling but as soon as he can form another word, Taehyung smack his hand away so that Jeongguk can release him.

"Wh- That hurts!" Jeongguk hold his hand, stinging from the hit.

"Ah! EH?" Jeongguk turn his attention away from his hurting hand and to Taehyung instead, whose running toward his house at full speed. "WAIT-"

Jeongguk groan as he start chasing after the latter. God what is this situation. Why does Taehyung run away every situation that involve Jeongguk but not Namjoon nor Jimin?!?? This is so frustrating.

"Oi~~! Hey! Tae!!" he call out but there's no sign of Taehyung stopping but instead the latter speed up which cause Jeongguk to be confuse of the situation even more. "Arge-- I really don't get this!"

Taehyung reach his house and swing the front door open, throwing his bag on the floor and ignoring the full swing open front door, he runs upstairs to his room and slam the door close, locking it. Panting for air, Taehyung slump down on his against his bedroom door. He raise his hands to cover his ears, ready to have several panic attacks before calming himself down. Actually, scratch that, he's probably can't calm himself down at this rate.

"SORRY TO INTRUDE-" Jeongguk voice was loud as he was yelling. But Taehyung can tell he was out of breath so it turn out to be more of a shrieking than a yelling, but Jeongguk's still Jeongguk. And Taehyung goes in alarmed mode.

"Oh~ Jeongguk-sshi.. what happened?" Taehyung's mom walk out of the kitchen. Her clothes is cover with flour as she's probably cooking up some random cake.

"Hello auntie, please let me come in for awhile" Jeongguk ignore her messy look and head for the stairs leading to Taehyung's room instead.

"Eh?"

Climbing up two steps, Jeongguk inhale before yelling again, more clear this time with perfect pronounciation, "TAEHYUNG---!!!!" without stopping to breath from yelling Taehyung's name, he climp up the stairs quickly and grab the latter's room handle, which to his surprise (not really) that it won't turn as it's locked.

Jeongguk smile out of anger as he feel his blood boil, an urge of wanting to kick the door down with full force. "Tae, open the door" Jeongguk knock patiently against the door, trying to keep his cool, "I have something to say to you"

"..I"

"Ah?"

"..Don't want to bring you anymore trouble"

"Sorry," his voice crack, "I'm so sorry"

"I don't know why you're apologizing to me!" Jeongguk huff impatiently and knock on the door more forcefully. "But.. it's okay, just hurry and open the door"

No response and a long silence follow quickly afterward, which irritates Jeongguk even more. 'This fella.. does he want me to kick down the door!?'

Jeongguk want to bash this door to a million pieces but at the same time he doesn't want to pay the damage cost. And doesn't exactly have a good excuse for Taehyung's parents as to why he bash the door down. He felt something tickle his leg, something moving around it and it send chills down his spine thinking that it's a large spider until he realizes it's no where near a spider.

"Hey," Taehyung hear Jeongguk call out from the other side of the door, "Tae are you listening?"

Taehyung doesn't repond and just bring his knees close to his chest, "If you don't open the door, I.."

There was silence fall between, an hesitation, "..I don't know what I'll do to your cat"

Taehyung shot his head up instantly.

"If you don't open the door in ten seconds, I'll throw him down from the window" Jeongguk said glancing over at the window at the end of the hallway, "10 -- 9 --"

"..Jeongguk wouldn't do something like that"

Jeongguk pause his coutning as the kitten purr into his neck while he's holding its bottom. "Che-" he grit his teeth. Damn, Taehyung is stubborn and a little sharp-tounge when he's not happy.

"Since you have so much faith in me," Jeongguk place the kitten down on the floor and it scurry away downstairs, "Then open the door" he whisper resing his forehead against the door, "Unlock it for me"

Jeongguk finish his sentence, now it's all up to Taehyung really. There's really nothing Jeongguk can do right now, eh can't just force Taehyung to talk to him, but he's willing to wait until the latter wants to talk to him.

After a few hours of camping outside Taehyung's door, he hear a 'clack' follow by the door slightly ajar. Jeongguk deem it's an indication to come in and he took that chance without hesitating.

Jeongguk open the door halfway, sliding his body inside the room and find Taehyung sit on the edge of the bed. The lights are all off which makes the atmosphere even more tense than before.

"So tell me," Jeongguk start, voice low and he keep as soothes as possible. Jeongguk close the door behind him once he enter the dimly lit room. "Why are you apologizing?"

"I'm sorry" he hear Taehyung whisper. Usually he would grab the latter and telling him to stop apologizing then tickle the latter but the teasing and playful threaten seem like a bad idea in this situation so Jeongguk didn't say anything.

"..For doing something that would makes you upset" he continue, his voice shake like he's about to burst into tears and nothing Jeongguk hates more than people voice shake when they try their best not to cry, acting tough. But Jeongguk's even more suprise that Taehyung haven't cry yet, but he look more exhausted than ever.

"That is.. I.." Taehyung pause, seem to gulp down a wave of tears as Jeongguk notice his adam apple moves up and down a couple time, "Toward you, Kookie, I feel that way about you"

"Although I know these feelings will bring you trouble, but--" Taehyung sigh and bring his hands up to cover his face, "So.."

"Huh? Who said something like that?" Jeongguk cuts in, taking a few steps toward Taehyung.

"Because---!" Taehyung raise his voice, but it was muffle by his hands, "The one who pushed Jimin to that point was probably me-- I.. never thought that those feelings I had for him would make everything turn out like this"

Jeongguk open his mouth but before he can say something, Jimn words zoom across his mind;

"..Wait till he start looking at you that way!"

Jeongguk realizes and his expression soften immediately, 'Ah --- you really are an idiot' he thought. Jeongguk walk toward where Taehyung are sitting and couch down in front of the latter, "That's why you should listen to what people have to say till the end" he extend his hand outward and place it on top of Taehyung's lap. "Taehyung.. you.."

He pause for a second before choosing the right wordds to say, "The way you look at me.. your little gestures.. behaviors and all" he moves his other hand toward Taehyung's that still cover his face and removes it, revealing a sobbing Taehyung underneath. "Never once have I ever thought it was troublesome" except all of the running Taehyung does but that can be mention later.

The sight of Taehyung's eyes with tears, puff red and he look like he's about to fall apart any second. Maybe he's already falling apart but Jeongguk wouldn't mind putting him back together. 'How long do you intend to be tormented by the foolish words of that guy' he thought as he regret not beating Jimin up last time they met.

"Instead, I think it rather gives me a nice feeling" Jeongguk smile before holding Taehyung's cheeks in his hands, staring into his blank eyes. Taehyung's lost, he's so so lost. Jeongguk scoff at the sight, he loves the little detail Taehyung expression made. He inches his face closer and closer toward Taehyung, closing the gap until there's no more gap to close.

After a few minutes Jeongguk pull away, filling in the gap with air and Taehyung lips linger for Jeongguk's. A few minutes feel like enternity for Taehyung.

'So... hurry up and come out from that place already' Jeongguk thought as he smile uncounsciously.

Jeongguj pull Taehyung in, hugging him, "Taehyung?" he call out and Taehyung hum quietly in respond. "Don't you have anything you want to say to me?"

Taehyung eyes was wide open for a few second beofre tears filling it up again, blurring his vision. His brain process slowly through the whole situation.. Jeongguk didn't hates him and run away.. Jeongguk kiss him and held him instead. Taehyung feel his face tinted red and he's sure his face is burning, "I really like you.. Jeonggukie"

"Mhm.. Thank you for telling me" Jeongguk smile grew wider as he hug Taehyung tighter, resting his chin against the latter's shoulder. "I really like you too"

 

--

 

Taehyung sweep the broom toward the dustpan, collecting falen leaves and trash from kids that litter behind. He continue his chores in front of the store until he notice a couple high schoolers. School must be over already, seeing the sun setting. He lock eye contact with one of them whose have black hair with an intimidating looks, Namjoon.

"Ah!" Taehyung notice Nmajoon flinch when their eyes met. Taehyung tilt his head in confusion as to why Namjoon would flunch but the incident of Jeongguk kicking Namjoon run across his mind. Taehyung smile at the memory and stick his tounge out, mocking Namjoon with an 'come at me anytime' face. Namjoon scrunch his nose, clearly express that he's annoyed by Taehyung and just walk away with his friends.

"Taehyung-ah" a voice call out and Taehyung turn his attention toward the owner of the voice. He knew that voice too well to forget who it is anyway.. Jeongguk.

"Wanna come over my place tomorrow? You can bring the kitty along and let him meet my dog"

"Hmm... Then I'll bring a gift or something along.. for how many?"

"Just two is fine. There won't be anyone else besides the two of us"

"Eh? ....EH!"