chap 1

A different side of you and me

“Here your.. er.. change..” Taehyung said with a shaky voice, or more like muttering to himself and grab a 500 won. “T-Thank you.. uh.. very much…. for your patronage..” he stutter and slide the change across the counter to the customer.

It’s the third day since he started working and well.. he’s still not very good at this.

“He talks kinda funny” one of the customer whisper to the other.

“Guess he’s new” the other reply.

“Taehyung-sshi,” Hoseok said stepping out of the break room. “When you talk to the customers, you have to speak clearly for them to hear you” he remind Taehyung, giving a polite business smile that would always send chills down the latter’s spine.

Hoseok isn’t exactly the manager or boss but he’s a good hyung. Just in a higher rank and have more experience when it comes to jobs. That, and Hoseok is extremely nice and helpful. Except the charming business smile, it seem too scary somehow and hidden many secrets.

“Y-Yes! I’m sorry!” Taehyung reply, biting his tongue accidentally but swallow the pain.

The job here is not difficult, but…

“Hmph” a voice scoff, catching Taehyung’s attention. He knows this voice too well. Slowly turning around to face the person who own the intimidating voice, “What are you, some elementary school kid?” the person saide with his face scrunch up showing an obvious sour and angry expression, causing Taehyung to quiver. “Still need people to teach you such stuff” Taehyung hear him mumble.

The problem.. lies in the work environtment.

Change shift,’ Taehyung thought with his whole body trembling. 'Please change shift with me!!

“Hey Kookie” Hoseok call out and give Taehyung a pat on the back, comforting the latter. “Don’t go around scaring people”

The intimidating co-worker tsk and walk away. Hoseok deem it safe and pat Taehyung’s back one more time before leaving and going back in the break room.

'How can I say such a selfish thing..’ Taehyung shake his head, getting himself together.

“Endure it” he mumble to himself, gritting his teeth together so hard it felt like his jaw will break.

As much as he hates his job environment, he must remember the reason why he started working.

.

..

“Ah – Taehyung-sshi?” the voice on the other line call his name. The voice was high pitch and gentle, a girl. No, it sound more mature, a woman. It also sound familiar.. his mom. “..Your uncle’s shop, one of the part-time workers suddenly resigned” His mom pause before continuing, “He hopes to find a replacement right away…” Taehyung stop his breathing right away, knowing what the next thing his mom will say. “Taehyung-ah, can you go help him?”

Asking him out of the blue, the one who dropped out from middle school and just stays home living off his parents. It suddenly dawned on him that his mom probably asked his uncle for this favor.

Taehyung felt ashamed and his face flush red. But then, he was also anxious about his current living situation continuing like that. This is a good chance!

“I want to do it”

..

.

So after a year-long interval, on the first day of his society in an extremely nervous state. There was suddenly a large obstacle blocking his path named Jeongguk. The same intimidating co-worker who would tsk at Hoseok whenever Hoseok nag at him and would always scold and critizie Taehyung regularly.

“Huh?!” Jeongguk tilt his head, obviously annoyed and impatient, “You’re talking too soft!” he growl. “I can’t hear anything – say it again”

Taehyung have to look up at him, even though Taehyung is obviously taller. The pressure that Jeongguk’s giving off makes him shrink, want to be small, invisible and disappear in a corner.

“Er.. erm” he stuttered, leaning backward, “I-I’m Taehyung. N-nice to meet you”

“Nice to meet you..?” Jeongguk scrunch up his nose as if he’s more annoy than before, looking down at Taehyung whom try his best to be small, curling into a ball.

“Eh.. uh… ah Please take care of me in the future.. ?!” he flinch at Jeongguk’s deadly glare.

Jeongguk’s expression get more sour and annoyed after Taehyung failed attempt introduction. “You’re the manager’s nephew? Let me tell you first, I don’t give a damn about such stuff” he shoot a glare at Taehyung, sending chills down the latter’s spine, not planning to have any type of mercy. “So don’t expect any special treatment from me”

'I-I,’ Taehyung thought as his blood boil, 'I never even thought about that!’ he clench his hand in a fist, pissed off and gritted his teeth enduring it. Not wanting to cause any trouble, not on his first day of work. 'What’s wrong with this guy!? He really pisses people off!!

Very arrogant attitude, tall in height (but not as tall as taehyung. Just a couple inches shorter.) With a face that looks like he was the tyrant in school since elementary grade, adding the raven red hair the remind Taehyung of blood whenever he sees it. The type of person that Taehyung bad at dealing the most.. He is Jeon Jeongguk.




Taehyung open his umbrella and make his way home, letting out a long sigh, both from exhaustion and stress. “I’m on the same shift as Jeongguk tomorrow..” he shudder at the thought of Jeongguk’s deadly glare, “Really don’t wanna go” he mumble in defeat
.

“Taehyung-ah, you’re the same age as Jeonggukie right?” Hoseok voice slowly run across his mind, “Although that little fella’s like that, he’s actually a nice guy. So get along with him” the older voice continue on, “I think that you two can become good friends-!”

As Hoseok words reply repeatedly in Taehyung’s mind, 'Hoseok-hyung, you really don’t know anything..’ he thought, sighing again. An image of him and Jeongguk get along well together and act likes best friend slowly appear in Taehyung’s mind and he quickly erase it. 'No way! No way! Definitely no way!’ he shake his head violently like a wild dog. 'It’s impossible for me and someone like Jeongguk to become friends-

Taehyung thoughts was interrupt by the street light, blinking faster by the seconds. “Ah, the light’s turning red” with that Taehyung pick up his pace and job across the street. “Made it in time” he let out a sigh of relief stepping into the safe sidewalk again.

“Ah! That.. Oh dear, why is it sitting at that kind of place!?” a female gasp, with one of her hand cover , catching Taehyung’s attention. “That’s so dangerous”

Taehyung turn around, oblivious by the situation and puzzle. But as soon as he notice what the girl was talking about, his eyes widen. A kitten is stuck in the middle of the road, shaking madly and doesn’t move at all.

'Oh no — This is bad. Got to save it!’ Taehyung chew his lower lip, ready to launch out to the open road. Instead of running out to eh open road, he hesitate, 'But, the cars already moving..'

A dark figure dash out to the street from the opposite road without hesitation, unlike Taehyung. Opposite from Taehyung, completely daring and brave. The person gently pick up the cat and the car come to a stop, honking loudly and repeatedly. “HEY! YOU’RE BLOCKING THE ROAD! HURRY UP AND GET OUTTA THE WAY!!!” the driver stick his head out of his window yelling like a mad man, still honking.

“QUIT THE RACKET-” the person argue holding up the kitten with care despite his voice said otherwise. Taehyung knows this voice too well to even try to ignore it. Red raven hair with caramel brown eyes, tall and arrogant attitude, the one and only, Jeongguk. “WILL WAITING FOR TEN SECONDS RUIN YOUR LIFE, OLD MAN!!” with that last yelling, Jeongguk dash back where he comes from on the other side of the road. Holding the kitten carefully and dragging his umbrella behind him, not even bother that it’s raining.

The cars resume driving and the rain continue pouring without any sign of stopping.

“Wow”

“That guy was amazing”

“Yeah!"

“Wow!!”

Taehyung ignores all the praise and comments beside him, looking across the street, locking his eyes onto Jeongguk. His hair is wet and a mess, sticking out from every direction. A kind smile spread across his face, a new expression that he never show to Taehyung. Nor Taehyung knows that he can makes those expression. A genuine smile that is not about business or forced. Putting the kitten inside his hoodie and zip it up halfway, only to leave the kitten head out and hold the kitten up from the bottom. Taehyung grip onto his umbrella, tears his attention away from Jeongguk and run home.

'What was that..’ Taehyung thought, opening the front door. 'Isn’t that a bit..’ he run upstairs, 'A bit too..’ opening his door room and get inside, closing. ’..TOO CORNY!! What was that, a scene from showa era?!

Taehyung press his back against the door, slowly slide down and burst into laughter. “Juvenile delinquent recuses a kitten in the rain!” he laugh harder, holding his stomach. “This is too good – I’m gonna die laughing”


“Did something happy happen to him today” Taehyung’s mom ask, looking up at the ceiling light which is shaking around.

“I guess it was a good idea to let him work..” his dad reply.

“Uwa- ha- that was too much” Taehyung lay on his stomach, trying to gasp for ari still laughing.
'But..’ Taehyung thought as he turn over, now laying on his back and look up on the ceiling. 'He really is amazing.. Jeongguk. Really so cool.’ A smile slowly creep on his face, 'So cool



{FOR ADOPTION}

Taehyung stop his track at the sight of the poster hanging on the glass door. Dumbfounded, he stare at it until another co-worker spot him. “Good morning” she greet, “Oh that was brought here by Jeongguk” she smile, “Then noona helped the little kitty make a poster for adoption” she finish her explaination and quickly run inside, ready to start her shift.

'Jeongguk, you really are so amazing’ Taehyung enter the store and make his way inside, walking inside the staff break room. Finding Jeongguk munching on his breakfast, or more like a loaf of bread.

“Good morning” Taehyung greet, quite unsure but at least he’s not stuttering this time.

“Mhm” the other respond flatly.

“Jeongguk-ah”

“Hm?”

“That cat..”

“Oh, what about it? Can your family adopt it?”

“… Was it hurt?”

“Huh?”

Taehyung hesitate at first, “Cause when you it was in the middle of the road, it didn’t look like it could move..” causing Jeongguk to spit out his food. Taehyung back away as a reflex, gross.

“Wha-” Jeongguk look up at the latter, expression’s more surprise than threatening along with break crumbs gather around his mouth.

Jeongguk stand up immediately causing the chair to clatter backward and fall. He grab Taehyung by his shirt collar, making him surprise by the sudden action.

“..Did you see it, kid?!”

“By chance… I only just happened to!”

“Don’t you dare tell anyone else!"

“I-I know.. I wasn’t planning on tell anyone else” Taehyung raise both his hands as in surrender, “It’s .. just that.. my family may be abel to take it in. So..”

“Eh?” Jeongguk’s face lit up completely, like a different person. A complete 180 degree turn from a few minutes ago. “Really?” he ask happily, which cause Taehyung off guard.

“Great! Then let’s go over to my place after work today!” Jeongguk said with a wide smile on his face. Not the kind one he gives to the kitten yesterday but it’s probably the brightest smile Taehyung ever seen from Jeongguk. “How about it?”

“Uh.. okay” Taehyung reply snapping out of his trance staring at Jeongguk’s smile. Now that he think about it, Jeongguk’s raven red hair that Taehyung would always think of blood whenever he sees it is now no longer look like blood. It actually look extremely good and attractive and match Jeongguk’s smile.

Jeongguk smile at Taehyung whose still quite fluster at the sudden request, “You’re actually a pretty good guy, eh?” he said wrapping one of his arm around Taehyung’s shoulder, “I’m starting to see you in a different light!”

It’s not really a compliment. Not fully exactly like one but Taehyung counts it as one as he finally get on Jeongguk good side. The thought of no longer being scared of his threaten face and try his best not to cry in a corner wanting to disappear and he can’t help but to smile at the thought.

“Alright, time to change shift”

“Ok”

 

 



“Huh cat?” his dad ask.

Taehyung just nod, holding the cat close.

“Oh, you want to take care of the pet by yourself?!”

“Taehyung nod again.

"Alright! Sure, go ahead” both of his parents agree in union, quite happy about the whole thing.



After that, Jeongguk and Taehyung gradually warmed up to each other. For instance, he has two sisters much younger than him, keep a dog at home, felt quite troubled when his height suddenly shot up during his secon dyear in middle school, etc. Learning all these many things about Jeongguk through mundane conversation made Taehyung feel very happy.

“Sorry to disturb”

Jeongguk settle his bag down in the corner of Taehyung’s room.

“Meow” the cat meows, sitting on the bed curious at the visitor and excited that Taehyung’s home.

“Aww” Jeongguk coo and melt at the cat, picking it up and hugging it tightly against his chest. “This little fella here seems to grown a little bigger”

Taehyung closes the door behind him, staring at Jeongguk in awe. It has been quite a number of years since anyon else has entered his room.

“I actually wanted to keep many dogs and cats, but my dog at home won’t accept it” Jeongguk said, playing with the kitten paw. “Ah~ but I definitely still wish to have one more” he whine.

“Oh I see” Taehyung reply, not planning to give Jeongguk the cold shoulder. He just doesn’t know how to respond sometime.
'So cheerful’ Taehyung thought making his way over to Jeongguk and sit down next to him, 'Never thought that there would be a day when Jeongguk would be here in my room’ he stares at jeongguk holding up the kitten and in which it place a paw on top of Jeongguk’s nose.

'But.. This feeling.. is actually not that bad’

 

 



“Taehyung-ah, I’ve brought you all some tea~” there were two knocks on the door follow by the door swing open slowly.

Taehyung quickly scoot toward the door, “W-Wait, I got it.. Don’t come in. Just pass me the tea”

“But this is the first tmie you’ve brought a friend home since you’ve stopped school” his mom protest, “Mommy also wants to say hello to your friend!”

“No need to!” Taehyung raise his voice, showing that he clearly annoy but not in a disrespectful way… just an embarrassing way.
As his mom grumble and pout heading downstairs, he close the door with relief.

“So to say, you’ve stopped coming to school, is that true?” Jeongguk ask without any concern. Jeongguk’s always clueless and straightforward, no matter what situation he’s in.

Taehyung doesn’t say anything beside shooting him a glance. No glare or threat in the his eyes, just a simple glance. Good thing that Jeongguk’s fast at noticing things even if he’s a simple guy. “Ah- wait.. you don’t have to answer me” he raise a hand up waving it around, “If you don’t want to talk abou tit, it’s fine by me”

“It’s okay” Taehyung said, fidgeting his feet, “Cause it’s the truth anyway”

Jeongguk nod, petting the kitten as it purr in his lap, “What was the reason?”

Taehyung froze. It felt like everything stop after Jeongguk ask that question. His eyes widen with frighten expression and force himself to talk, “..I don’t know.. I guess there was a reason? But I don’t remember” he scratch the back of his head and slowlyh make his way next to Jeongguk and sit down. “Since I’ve quit school, people have been calling me a lazy bum or saying that I’m behaving like a spoiled brat. So I guess I should be somewhat like” Taehyung pull his knee toward his chest, hugging it and rest his chin on top of his knees, forcing a small laugh “I’m just garbage, and the like..”

Jeongguk stop petting the kitten and glance over at Taehyung, whose stoll forcing a smile, not one of those big fake smile but a small one, like it’s hidden many memories behind it.

“Idiot!” Jeongguk smack the other in the head playfully, “For someone who is trying so hard to make a fresh start, how can you tell 'em garbage”

Taehyung flinch at the hit but it didn’t hurt. He held the spot where Jeongguk had hit him, eyes widen in suprrise instead of terrify feeling, his face flush red.

“Um.. Jeongguk you..” he mumble.

“..Saying such embarrassing stuff to people” he burst out laughing, “Seriously you can be called Mr.Showa!”

“Huh?!” Jeongguk flinch at the nickname and shoot Taehyung a glare with his face beet red from embarrassment, “Why – You!”
“You! How dare you make fun of me-”

“Getting cockey eh?”

“Ah sorry!”

“Jeo- I was just kidding!!”



'Jeon Jeongguk..’ Taehyung thought staring at his cell phone contact displaying Jeongguk’s name. 'Diligent.. Beautiful.. Talented..

He sway his phone around, 'If it’s Jeongguk.. Maybe it’s okay to tell him?’ Taehyung hesitate at the thought of it, he bury his face into his pillow, 'No.. no no no – there’s no way

Jeongguk is really a good guy, now Taehyung can understand why Hoseok said that back then, “I think that you two can become good friends,” and he absolutely don’t want to lose it again. So Taehyung decided not to let Jeongguk knows.



Taehyung place the last strawberyr milk bottle on the shelve. He then pick up the empty cardboard box and set it down in the corner next ot the other empty boxes. Pushing the storage room open, “Great, done restocking!” he mumble to himself, “All that’s left is to sweep outside”

Taehyung make his way out to the store humming his favorite tune, noticing Jeongguk taking care of customers. Students to be exact, high school students to be more specific, as it said on their gym uniform.

“Eh?” one of the boy said, noticing Taehyung. He had caramel brown hair and slightly tall, but not as tall as Jeongguk.
“Eh!? You… Taehyung?” the other boy said, also noticing Taehyung’s presence but seem more surprise. He had pitch black hair and seem to be taller than the other boy, almost the same height at Jeongguk.

Taehyung eyes widen as he notices the two figure right away. His legs start to tremble, frozen in spot. He want to run, but he can’t, his legs won’t move.

“No way! Man, haven’t seen you in forever”

“Oh – what is this? You’re working here?!”

“Whoa, for real?”

Pushing all the comments aside, “You know each other?” Jeongguk ask giving the boy with black hair a plastic bag. 

“Yeah, we were in the same class during middle school. Right Tae?” the black hair boy reply taking the bag.

“Really?” Jeongguk’s turn to be surprise.

“Seriously speaking, it’s really been a long time! You didn’t even turn up for the graduation ceremony"

“Oh yeah, I heard this rumor that you’re not attending high school now. Is that true?”

Taehyung expression slowly change from shock to horrify, “Ah almost forgot..” the black hair boy said, causing Taehyung’s heart to beat faster and faster as the black hair boy pull the caramel hair boy, “Look! Jiminie is here too!”

“Um-” Jimin hesitate.

Jeongguk interrupt and lean forward on the counter, point at the black hair boy. “We’re from the same high school class. What a coicidence right?”

“Yeah but Jimin is not though,” the black hair boy reply, nodding, “He’s from a different class”

“Eh, Jeongguk and you are getting along pretty well huh?”

“Yeah.. not bad. We’re often together on the same shift”

“I see..”

The black hair boy look over at Jimin, “Jimin-ah say something as well!” he nudge Jimin in the arm. “Weren’t the two of you pretty close back then?” Jimin tense up in an instant.

“Oh is that so?” Jeongguk said, with an 'o’ forming mouth.

“Yep, right Tae?”

Taehyung doesn’t respond. Everything this black hair boy said feels like poision, suffocating him. Taehyung grip onto the bottom hem of his work uniform. He grip it so hard that his knuck turning white and start to tremble, gritting his teeth to keep his face emotionless. Jeongguk notice it but doesn’t say anything as he’s puzzle.

“..What’s with this attitude? Ah i get it” the black hair boy sid with a small grin on his face, causing Taehyung to flinch, sending him on the edge of crying. “Don’t tell me you still bear a grudge about what happened back then, huh~?”
Taehyung bite on his bottom lip hard, not wanting to say anything. Not wanting to be here. Not wanting to bring up the past and most importatnly, not wanting Jeongguk to hear.

“Hey don’t talk about it” Jimin interrupt, trying to yank the black hair boy back.

“Let me tell you..” the black hair boy ignore Jimin and continue his story, with the biggest grin on his face, it’s sickening to Taehyung. “The whole matter about you not coming to school was all blamed on us, did you know that?”

Jeongguk’s expression harden and scrunch his face, confuse and puzzle. He feel uneasy as how the story is going. That and he feel more uneasy at Taehyung’s reaction. The latter look like he’s about to break down crying, the same reaction when Taehyung first met Jeongguk, terrified and scared.

“Oi Tae!”