TD (4): The Thunderstorm

The Girl You Left Behind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

They say that we won’t remember when somebody moves mountains for us, dries the oceans or dispels the clouds. The importance lies in the little things, the small memories and surprises. And when it came to Jongin, there were many.

It had been three weeks since that early Saturday morning when he made Emma get up at 7 am and took her to the nearest lake with his car, where they were sitting by the water and talking, while autumn was in its biggest delirium. She told him about her dreams to become a tour guide and travel the world. She told him how she studied cultures of many different countries, but the funny thing was, that she had completely forgotten about her home country before she moved there. He told her about all the stress they put on them in the Entertainment, because of their upcoming debut.

“There are days, when I can’t get out of my bed because of muscle ache and still have to be at my best”, he said, looking at the water. “But I am trying to think about how it will pay off. I do it for myself. And for my bandmates. I am their lead dancer. I shouldn’t complain.” He thoughtfully smiled.
“I know Jongin and I believe that you are the best, but everyone needs a break sometimes.”
“I can’t afford a break right now, Em. It is closer and closer.”
“I can’t wait to see you on stage for the first official time. I will be in the front row with our parents with a transparent saying ‘Call Jongin’ and your written number”, Emma grinned.

Jongin looked at her, seemingly mad. “You do that and I kill you, how about that?”
“You can try.”

Jongin remained completely calm for a second, then he grabbed her and pulled her closer. Knowing one of her weaknesses, he started tickling her stomach and she had a laugh attack until she couldn’t catch her breath anymore.

“You are crazy!”, she yelled, still laughing. Her stomach was hurting and her lungs were dry, but it was the nice kind of pain.
“That’s what you get from joking too much!”
“Wow, you are so dangerous, Kim Jongin!”
“Oh, so you want more?”, he made a move, as if he was going to grab her again, but instead he gently hugged her. “I think you’ve had enough for today, right?”, he teasingly said.
“I think so too”, she answered and put her head on his shoulder, peacefully staring in front of her.

But that was not everything. In the month she has been there, he used every opportunity to make her smile. He would fool around, unexpectedly hug her in the school hallways, buy her favorite chocolate from time to time. They could spend hours of sitting at each other’s houses just talking. About everything. About music, movies, travelling, school. They shared a few favorites and had similar thoughts occasionally. When he smiled, she smiled. She loved his warm eyes and his messy, dark hair. She loved how he pouted his lips when he was upset about something. She loved the way he held her and she loved his perfume.

“Is there something more than friendship between Jongin and you?”, Lily Park asked her daughter a couple of times.
“Don’t be silly, mom. He is like a brother to me.”

“Come on Emma, he is so into you, you can’t deny it. You are either blind or very good at hiding your emotions. And yes, you are into him, too”, Yoona said to Emma one time during break, after spotting the glances she and Jongin were exchanging.
“Oh my God Yoona, you sound like my mom.”
“See? Everyone sees it.”
“Please, it sounds ridiculous. Me and Nini? Never.”

“Dude, why don’t you finally man up and tell her how you feel? I am gonna puke from your ‘friendshipness’”, Sehun said to Jongin, making imaginary quotation marks with his fingers. He met Emma a while ago and he liked her and so did his best friend. In a different way.
“Shut up, you idiot. What you say makes no sense. I am just trying to be a good friend to her and help her to get used to here.”
“Yeah, sure. Next times I see you two talking, or better said, drooling over each other, I might see imaginary hearts all around you in the air.”
“I guess we will never find out what is wrong with you.”

The two of them were hearing it all the time. Emma focused on her school and Jongin on his dancing. The enjoyed each other’s company, but they knew that love would just ruin everything. So they denied it every single time. But denial doesn’t mean feelings don’t exist. And soon, the two of them realized it, too.

 

 

It was a cold afternoon. The sky was grey and the wind was colder than usual. Leaves were wildly flying against windows and Emma was sitting in her room, wrapped in her blanket and studying biology. She had always hated that subject back at home, but since the system in her new school was different and their teacher crazy and fun, she finally started appreciating the science of cells, genes and life in general. She was on page 2 out of 10, when somebody knocked on her room door.

“It’s open”, she said and turned her head to the door.
“Hey, Em. Your mom said I could come up”, Jongin came through the door, carrying two cups of something.
“Really? What if I had been, I don’t know, ?”, she grinned and Jongin raised his eyebrow.
“Well, I knocked, you dork, didn’t I?”, he tousled her hair.
“Hey!”

Jongin sat down next to her, giving her one of the cups. The seductive smell of melted, hot chocolate filled her nostrils. She took one, careful sip, but the warmth was just right for drinking.

“Thanks, Nini”, she widely smiled.
“Nah, it’s nothing”, he replied.
“Jongin”, she put her hand on his shoulder and seriously looked him in the eyes. “Chocolate is everything.”

They burst out laughing.

“Why are you studying so much?” He stared at her opened biology book. Jongin was starting to worry about her. Lately, she had been staying up late and studying, just to be exhausted during the day. It had been repeating every night, sometimes even over the weekends. “The test is only on Wednesday. And it’s Saturday today.”
“I know, but I have to, Jongin. It is hard, I still need more time than you or Yoona or Sehun or anybody else here to read all the damn text. And there are words I don’t understand and then I have to look them up and that takes extra time as well. It’s so tiring.” Emma also stared at her book, suddenly feeling sick of it. “I know you must think I am insane.” She weakly smiled, looking at her hands.
“No, no, Em, that’s not what I meant. Come here.” He widened his arms and hugged her tightly. Emma felt a little turn in her stomach and her heart started beating just a bit faster. I am so stupid, she thought. He would never…

“I know it is hard for you. But you are more important than your grades. Are you in the mood for a short walk?”
“Aren’t you going out tonight? After all, it Saturday night”, she grinned. She was joking. On weekends, Jongin would either practice or spend time with her. She enjoyed every moment. Maybe more than I am supposed too.
“Yes, yes, like every week. Now get dressed, lazy.”
“Okay, okay, on my way.”

Emma got off the bed and went to her closet. She picked out some ripped jeans and a green hoodie.

“What are you waiting for? Look away”, she told Jongin, acting strict.
“Is that a ‘must’?”, he with a smirk.


Jongin turned his back to hear, looking at the ceiling. That’s what they always did. When one of them had to change their clothes, the other had to turn around. But in that very moment, Jongin was dying to sneak a peek at her. Even though he would never admit it, he imagined her body a million times. A few days ago, a girl in school called Emma fat, just because she was curvy. Jongin shut the girl’s mouth by saying she was a skeleton. I wanna see her, he thought and bit his lips. He knew he was not supposed to think of her in that way, and he really tried, but he couldn’t resist. Just one fast turn and…

“I’m done”, her voice suddenly interrupted his thoughts. “Ready to go?”



“Why do Sehun and Yoona always try to shut each other’s mouths?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter