In the Rain

Study You

Kim Kibum decided two things that year: he wasn't a relationship person, and he was going to fail the next 4 years if he continued the way he was. 

He had somehow managed to get into his first choice of University, and even managed to secure a part time job modelling for a local photographer. He took very good care of his appearance, his now black hair styled perfectly into a short wavy mess. Some people disliked his behaviour, but really, what was so wrong with being confident with his looks? 

Kibum had always been a slacker though. Not that he wasn't intelligent, because he was; he was good at everything. Well, almost everything. He really hated studying, which was why he was so surprised when he passed the exams for University. 

The University itself was quite small. The rusted dark coloured bricks of the outside attracted him at first. And although small and slightly falling apart, it was completely perfect. He often told others that the older something is, the better it becomes. Clothes of his that were worn or simply didn't get used as often as he'd of liked were usually cut up or styled to suit his tastes, keeping that special charm that aged goods brought with it. Of course, hardly anyone understood why Kibum often walked around in torn up jeans and jackets with holes, they simply left his individuality alone because even if he wore clothes with holes and dressed too good for a student, he was incredily good looking (so they say, he didn't like to toot his own horn too often). 

And just when things were starting to look up for him, the weather took a turn for the worse. 

Usually students are seen enjoying their first day of University with big grins, a group of friends at their sides and the scorching sun glaring down on their too stupidly happy faces, but Kibum experienced non of that. In the last 5 minutes since leaving his dorm, a grimace lining on his face and distorting his beautiful features, it began to rain. Spending all that time styling his hair seemed futile in the next few minutes. The black tresses stuck to his forehead, beachy waves flattening out across his head. He hadn't thought to bring an umbrella since the walk from his dorm to the main building was only across the large patch of grass. Denim stuck to his thighs and arms, both jacket and jeans clinging to his skin desperately. The plain white shirt underneath his jacket thankfully got spared, excluding the small patch around his colorbone. Even his newly purchased shiny black shoes were dirtied by the wet dirt beneath him. 

Kibum really hated the rain. 

And some idiot obviously didn't share the same view.

Kibum ducked under the overhang of the building once he reached it, escaping the rain. His eyes landed on the only person other than Kibum who was still outside. Buy unlike his grumbles of protest and dislike for the rain ruining his hair, the other person seemed to be actually enjoying getting wet. 

"Yah!"

The figure, who was literally just standing in the middle of the field looking up at the sky, snapped their head down to face the loud voice that called out to them. Ah, it's a guy, Kibum noted.

"You know it's raining, right?" he called out again, hands cupped over his mouth so his voice sounded louder. By now his wet hair had started poking his eyes, stray water droplets dripping down his face, making him shiver. He really needed to get inside quickly. 

The mystery man seemed to be standing there, staring. Kibum squinted, eyes focused. Is he smiling? What the hell?  And as if on que the person raised both of his arms, flailing them above his head as if he was waving. 

"What are you doing? You're all wet!"

Kibum expected him to just wave again, or at least keep standing there. He didn't however expect for the other person to start jogging towards where he stood. Kibum noticed as he got closer that he was quite a bit taller than rain man, with darker hair but equally as defined features. 

"Doesn't it make you want to sing?" Mr shorty asked, shaking his hair like a wet dog. Kibum simply raised an eyebrow at the question. This isn't some sort of musical. 

"Not really," he scoffed. 

"The name's Kim Jonghyun!" He introduced, his almost white hair stuck to his forehead. Kibum noticed his charmingly friendly grin. He looked pleasant enough. 

"Kibum. Kim Kibum," he replied, returning his friendly grin with one of his own. He would have shook his hand, but the way Jonghyun was dripping from head to toe put him off the idea. 

Kibum started to analyse  the man, something he did often to people he could consider as friends, whilst Jonghyun stood politely, smiling. The rain had completely soaked him; black material glued to his chest, seemingly as if he wore no shirt at all. Kibum's gaze lingered on the slight outline of toned muscles before he realised his actions and continued his assessment, slightly embarrassed at his obvious actions. He'd also noticed how they wore the same shoes... maybe they could be close friends. 

Kibum wanted to say something, breaking out of the silence that seemed to have enveloped them over the last few minutes, but before he had the chance to a loud shriek rang over their heads. 

"Jesus, who even uses bells these days?" Jonghyun winced, angrily glaring at the large red bell beside their heads. Kibum wondered hard whether this person spent his time with animals, because everything he did resembled a boyish puppy who liked to play to much. 

"I think that's our cue to go inside," Kibum smiled, flicking away his wet hair from his face. Jonghyun's eyes followed the movement before his eyes went back to his, mouth yet again set into a wide grin. 

"It was nice meeting you, Key!" He chirped, a quick hand signalling goodbye before he ran off through the doors beside them.

Kibum's eyebrows furrowed with confusion. Jonghyun ran off too quickly for him to say anything. "Who... Key?" he gasped, quickly running after the other male to demand why he be nicknamed something as ridiculous as an inanimate object. 

They ended up sharing their first lecture of the semester together, and Jonghyun refused to call him anything other than Key from that day foreword. Kibum really disliked the rain, but at least he found an interesting person because of it. 


 

A/N: This is my first time writing SHINee fiction. It's also just a college au for now because I wanted to take things slow before I delve deeper into SHINee fiction haha. 

Please excuse any mistakes or anything similar! I haven't written anything for a good few years! Nevertheless, I hope you liked this short installment - I'll be posting the next part soon~ This may be a slow start, I'm just getting used to it all again. 

Please tell me what you think, thank you!