Doctor

Caught In Our Thoughts

                                                     

-____________________________________________Isn't Dr. Heungsoo so handsome??_____________________________________________-

Heungsoo was watching the green leaves that have started to change colours. He watched the wind rustling through trees and soft blades of grass dancing. He watched the arrival of fall, a season he enjoyed before it becomes dead cold.

He turned away from his office window and looked towards a tall sharp featured man. He tapped at his notepad lightly after he circled one the words he had listed. He looked at his patient who seemed too busy with a Rubik’s cube and has yet to speak a word.

“Mr. Choi…how are you coping now?”

Mr. Seung Hyun Choi was the name of his patient. And him…well he was a psychologist. He always wanted to work in the field of science and medicine, and ever since his first PSY100 class. He had been hooked…the brain intrigued him. He had been fascinated by everything that is to do with neurology and psychology. Now fast forward through sweat, tears and blood, he reached his dream. He is now a doctor and currently working in one of the most renowned hospitals in Seoul, Seungri High General Hospital.

Mr. Choi cleared his throat before looking back at him. He stared at him as if he was seeing right through him.

“It’s…better. I have started to meet other people. I feel guilty for starting over after what happened 8 months ago.”

Heungsoo smiled at that knowledge. He knew that Mr. Choi was battling his demons for so long that it had engulfed him in a dark place. Mr. Choi’s case was the most interesting one he had to deal with today. He had met him six weeks ago when he had entered his office begging for help. Normally, he wouldn’t bother seeing anyone without appointment, but Mr. Choi’s words made him make an exception.

“Doctor please…I killed someone. Help me! Please!!"

No, his patient didn't kill anyone. He choked someone, who fainted and is very much well alive. His patient had stopped his rage at right time and realized he needed help. He noticed Mr. Choi’s long gloved fingers tracing the plant beside him as if to feel the leaves or check for the dust. It's probably the latter…he was right. Heungsoo couldn't help and smirked to himself as he watched Mr. Choi dust his fingers off. You see Mr. Choi had an obsession with cleanliness and personal space. He never exposed any skin, not even his top button of his shirt was open on hottest days. He was so obsessed with cleanliness that when they first met…he refused to shake his hand or sit on couch. Now he greets him without wearing gloves before putting it back on and taking a seat on plastic covered seat. His obsession had been so bad that he had almost murdered someone for touching him. It was a start.

“Doc…do you think I would get better? I like…this new person.” Mr. Choi muttered looking down at his hands now unconsciously tugging at his bear brick key chain.

“You are already getting better. You have shown great improvement. I am glad you have started interacting with new people. From what you described of this new person. He seem like an angel.”

Heungsoo smiled hoping it was a warm one at his dumbstruck patient who blushed and looked away. He just knew that new person was a he. 

“How—never mind. Not important right?”

“Nope.”

Before Mr. Choi could say anything the timer announced appointment was up.

“Looks like time for me to go. I would like to meet again, same time. He is in classes so I am free at this time.”

“Alright, Ri will take your appointment.”

They both stood up walking out the office as Mr. Choi shook his hand, san gloves, thanking him.

“Thank you Doctor.”

“Sure Mr. I hope to see your progress with your artwork next week.”

Mr. Choi smiled before walking towards the front desk, where a blond woman was busy animatedly talking on the phone.  She looked at them nodding towards Heungsoo and mouthing words holding up two fingers.

Heungsoo smirked nodding and walked into his office. He stretched before compiling the notes he had taken in the Mr. Choi’s file. He signed massaging his shoulders.

“Ah…2 that means 20 mins.”

He took off towards the Hospital’s cafeteria thinking about food. He was hungry and right now…a hot cup of French vanilla cappuccino and banana loaf sound so satisfying. He needs to hurry before he meets another one of his last patient of the day. He enjoyed his job but it did take a toll on him.

He was happily walking back to his office with coffee in one hand and his bread in other hand. He had time so decided to take a long route back to his office. He walked through Emergency Wing sipping on the sweet vanilla taste of coffee. They were not allowed to eat in here, it wasn't polite for hungry patients or anyone who worked here. He munched on his not-too-sweet banana loaf bread. He couldn't help but smirked evilly at one of nurses who glared at his chewing mouth. He chewed his food extra slow showing off the fluffy banana bread as he bit it. He was standing before the elevator waiting for it to reach down when he heard loud commotion behind him.

‘Doctor! Emergency! Move move move!”

Heungsoo quickly gave way to the paramedics who were rushing with a man of stretcher. A pale man covered in debris and lot of blood was lying on the stretcher. Heungsoo stared at the man his sharp eyes noting the cuts on the head of the person. He also saw long cuts down the right arm and a spot just below the ribs where blood kept gushing out. The man had two deep cuts in parallel lines on the left shoulder. There seem to be minor burns on the arms and exposed chest area, from airbag? Did he have any vital injuries?? Hard to tell with all those paramedics pushing him.

He looked at the half dead man musing at the state before following and asking one of the nurses.

“Car accident?”

Normally, he would go and give his expertise. He was a psychologist but he knew his medicine well. He had gotten a certification as a surgeon too. He was a genius after all, and decided to make use of the free flexible time he gets.

But he only offered his expertise to his patients. Not anyone who just entered the hospital. That’s who Heungsoo was. He was cold and didn’t involve himself with the world. He chooses to always keep to himself. It was better this way.

“Yes Doctor, a fatal one at that. I am not sure why those guys kept saying it was suicide though.”

“Suicide?”

Heungsoo looked back at the man was being pushed into the operating room. He watched the same pale man trying to fight his unconsciousness and trying to keep his eyes open. Heungsoo doubt that man could fight it for long with those kind of injuries. 

He surveyed the man again when he felt his breath get caught in his throat. It felt like a lightening had struck him. He couldn't move. He was not sure what it was, but he felt like something was holding him in place as he stared at the patient. Their eyes had met and locked into a powerful gaze as if exchanging of words without speech. He couldn't look away as he stared back trying to read everything those eyes spoke before passing out.

He felt air rushing into his suffocated lungs and tried to breathe. It may have been few seconds but why did it felt like eternity? What was wrong with him? Why did he feel a deep ache? What is this pull? Did he really forget to breathe?

He shook his head trying to clear his mess of thoughts. He needed to get back to his office, it’s not like he knew that person anyways. That person is now just one of the many countless nameless patients. They come here for treatment, either stayed or left breathing…or not breathing. So it was easy to walk away. He just needed to move his feet stuck in ground.  

"Heungsoo-ah you are going crazy...a nap is what you need. I shouldn't have pulled those all nighters."

Just as Heungsoo had turn away to return to his office he felt a pat on his back. He looked back at a short haired nurse who was holding up a file in a see through bag with small bit of papers sticking out.

“Doctor please help me. I need to find a contact for the patient who just came in.”

"Why? Do your own job Kwang Joo."

"Yah! I would but you saw that man's state. I have to go and help them. Just get a contact number, you frigid lord."

He sighed annoyed before grabbing the file from her hand. She smiled at him gleeful before rushing towards the same room that patient has gone into.

“Park Heungsoo…why didn’t you just walk away…now you have to help. Great.”

Heungsoo grumbled to himself and started looking through the file. It look like the papers were from the car. He looked for the cellphone in the bag first. He didn’t felt like staying and helping any longer than necessary. 

He grinned in triumph as he pulled out a phone from the bag, “Ha…too easy. Why do they not check for his phone first? Amateurs…”

His grin faltered when he noticed the crack screen. He tried to turn the phone on and luckily it did. And unluckily, no matter what he pressed on the screen. No matter how hard he tapped at the screen…the image would not budge. Touchscreen was not responding to his touch. He groaned frustrated before throwing the phone back in the bag. He looked for next best thing…wallet.

He smirked at the fancy Valentino skinny black leather wallet in his hand. He rummaged through the wallet after admiring it and noticed way too many cards. One of them was a black card. That was his first time seeing a black credit card. He ignored that looking for a piece of anything that will free him from this task. At last, he found it. A piece of paper with someone’s name and number on it hidden behind the few 100 bills.

‘Hmm…Jung In Jae? Sister or aunt or...girlfriend? Wait why it matters…?’

Heungsoo shook his head and took the number walking towards the room. He was still looking through the wallet trying to find an ID or anything that could identify the man.

When he entered the room he saw chaos surrounding the man under the oxygen mask who looked less pale and more in pain. He noticed that the patient had a fight in him, despite all the injury he still was conscious with the pain. His small wounds were getting cleaned. One of the nurses attaching IV bag of dilaudid painkiller to his right arm. They were taking blood sample to find the right blood group before transfusion began. 

He stared at the man expression's going from pained to peaceful after painkiller kicked in. He studied the features of the nameless man laying before him in the chaos surrounding him. He shook his head and pulled out the driver license from the hidden pocket of the wallet.

Heungsoo eyes widen as he stared at the driver’s license in his now cold clammy hand. He hesitantly looked back towards the unconscious man. He wasn’t sure what to feel. He felt the same tug from before, now even stronger after knowing the name. He sighed. A patient has become real. Too real to be part of the nameless patients of Seungri High General Hospital. He shakily whispered the name as if it would break the trance he was in.

 “Go Namsoon…”

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

AN: Ah, finally I completed the first chapter. It was so hard!! I tried so hard!! (TT____TT)
Aish...did I take on too much when I decided to write in this story?? Ahhh!! What if I lose the inspiration?? It really is so hard. T.T

I hope guys enjoy it...*cries in the corner at having lost all the energy*
Please keep encouraging me, supporting me. You guys are the best!...no matter how hard this story becomes for me. T_____T
I won't lose!!! *lonely authour must now face school burderns* 

P.S. Did anyone get who Mr. Choi is?? And his angel of a interest? *get my references!!*