(1/1)

mutual misunderstanding


Screams and cheers erupt and fill the stands as Gryffindor’s star quidditch player finally asks out someone to the dance. There have been a lot of speculations on who Luhan will be bringing, and the grand gesture, on Gryffindor’s first game of the season, is more than enough to answer everyone’s questions.

But unlike everyone else in the stands, Minseok gains questions, not answers.

When did Luhan start taking interest in his sister? And why Junhee of all people?

From where he’s standing, he could clearly see the confusion on his sister’s face. And he thinks it’s the same one plastered on his.
Sure Minseok is very much aware that his sister is very pretty, really nice, and quite charming too. She’s a great student and is also a Gryffindor prefect. Many other guys have shown interest in her in the past, but Minseok was quick to talk to them nicely about his sister’s priorities. Those admirers, he saw coming. This one came from nowhere. They aren’t in the same circle of friends. They don’t even talk, as far as he remembers. And he’s quite sure that being in the same house is the only thing that connects the two. So really, Minseok is confused. And of course, he disapproves. He always does, but this time with Luhan, he disapproves a hundred times more.

But before he could stop his sister from saying or doing anything stupid, like saying yes. She nods. And the crowds erupt yet again.
Minseok buries his face in his hands as his insufferable friends to no end, saying that finally, someone has gotten past him and has reached his little sister.

ヾ( ・`⌓´・)ノ゙

The entire student body has been talking about nothing but the recently announced dance. It was completely out of the blue, completely shocking everyone on the campus. Even the ghosts and paintings have been talking about it nonstop. Because the only thing similar that was known to be held at Hogwarts was the Yule Ball, which was a tradition tied in with the Triwizard Tournament. A tournament which hasn’t been held for years. But the professors and the headmaster though that it a dance, even if it was much less extravagant than the Yule Balls, would be a nice way to celebrate the end of a relatively peaceful year at Hogwarts.

And while everyone else seems to be talking about the gowns and coats they’ll be wearing, some considering buying at Hogsmeade while others were thinking of having theirs made in some shops in London and sent in to Hogwarts. Minseok, on the other hand, is currently plotting ways to get his sister away from Luhan as possible.

“I don’t get why you’re so pent up about this, Min. I mean I think Luhan is harmless?”

The look in Minseok’s face is a mix of shock and disappointment, with a hit of a disgust. No one else really sees it, it’s just him.

He rolls his eyes in distaste, “Oh my god, Soo! That boy is trouble, and I’m not just going to sit here and watch him bring my sister into whatever shenanigans he’s up to. I can feel it, and I don’t trust him. At all.”

“But don’t you trust Junhee’s judgement at least? There’s probably a bit of good in that boy if she actually said yes.”

Kyungsoo is right, maybe Junhee actually knows more about the boy than Minseok does. But the things he’s been hearing, and the things that are going around aren’t exactly nice. Besides, he’s just keeping the promise he made to his parents, who were both very reluctant on sending their muggle children into a wizarding school, to be his sister’s guardian at all times. Their parents know that being muggle-born would make it difficult for him and Junhee to fit in, but Minseok assured them that he would do everything to keep Junhee away from anyone who would try to hurt her.

“I can really sense that there’s something that’s going to go wrong though, and I can’t let whatever that is happen.”

His best friend just nods and lets him retreat into the complicated scheme he’s plotting.

Minseok had realized earlier that being Luhan’s date meant that Junhee will be on the receiving end of pointless hate. As the team captain of Gryffindor’s quidditch team, Luhan had earned quite a huge following. Minseok can’t deny that besides the fact that the boy is handsome and charming, he’s also an outstanding quidditch player. Playing against Luhan on the pitch, with them both being seekers, has given Minseok some perspective on the boy. Luhan is overly competitive and if you were to ask for Minseok’s opinion, he’s also a dirty player. Minseok has been in the receiving end of unnecessary shoves and pushes, and he’s been injured more than once. (He fell from his broom during a game once.)

He knows the competition part of the game, and he’s just probably thinking of other excuses and justifications of his disliking of the boy, but a bit of snooping around and listening in on mindless conversations had given Minseok some vital information on Gryffindor’s captain. Luhan doesn’t date, but he flirts and breaks hearts. A lot.

Just a few days ago, while he was on his way to his herbology class, right after exercising his duty as a prefect and deducting points from Slytherin because a 4th year had cast a spell on his books and was running after them, causing traffic in the hallway, a girl who was crying had bumped him. It seemed normal to him at first, but the girl was muttering unreadable curses under her breath. And those curses were all aimed at one person. Luhan.

Later that day, during quidditch practice, some of his teammates were talking about the new girl that had deluded herself into thinking that she would be the first person Luhan would openly date. Of course, she wasn’t. But there were actually rumors that went around, and some people actually believed that Luhan was going to be dating the girl from Hufflepuff. Rumor has it, she was only rejected when she asked for a date. Which was why Minseok had seen her crying in the hallway.

And he doesn’t want his sister to suffer the same heart break, so Minseok is really going to do all it takes to keep his sister away from Luhan.

But right now, he’s stumped. He’s been thinking of ways to actually make sure Luhan doesn’t go near Junhee and a plan to stop them from going to the ball together. He refuses to use any form of magic though, because he’d like to keep his principles intact for much longer. And he’s quite sure that at some point, he’ll start doing things that completely go against his beliefs. And he knows for a fact that since he’s thinking of using engorgio on all of Luhan’s pants and randomly casting riddukulus on him, things will get really messy.

ヾ( ・`⌓´・)ノ゙
“I don’t think staring at him like that will do anything, Min. I suggest using expulso on his cup though, I think that would be more effective?”
Minseok rolls his eyes and sighs. It’s been three days since he started plotting for Operation: Keep Luhan away from Junhee, but there’s still no progress whatsoever.

There hasn’t been any interaction between the two in the past few days. Just polite smiles and hellos, which he can tolerate since it only common courtesy. But he has a feeling that Luhan is also planning something.

“I don’t even know what to do anymore,” Minseok whines, earning laughter from Kyungsoo who’s obviously enjoying how pent up Minseok is.

“Hm, doesn’t Junhee like someone though?”

Minseok nods, although he wards off Junhee’s admirers, he can’t exactly control her feelings. And even though she hasn’t explicitly told him who she likes, it was quite obvious who it was. Minseok would have actually allowed Junhee to date the boy, but he hasn’t exactly shown any interest in her. So Minseok never really considered it. And the last time Junhee mentioned it almost a year ago.

“Yeah, he’s in Gryffindor too. He’s nice, a prefect too I think.”

“So you don’t have to worry about her being charmed by Luhan or whatever. Quit it, Min. It’s just a dance.”

Minseok considers Kyungsoo’s words. Maybe he should just trust in Junhee and hope that her crush on a certain Gryffindor boy still hasn’t faded.

But just as they were talking, Junhee enters the Great Hall with some friends. And from where he’s sitting, Minseok clearly sees Luhan stand up and approach Junhee. And from what Minseok could make out, Luhan had invited Junhee and her friends to sit and eat with him and some of his friends.

Minseok watches them keenly, hoping nothing out of the ordinary actually happens.

But Luhan starts piling food on Junhee’s plate, and Junhee seems to be giggling at Luhan jokes? And Minseok is fuming, and his grip on his goblet is tightening by the second.

“Do you think I’ll get removed as prefect if I actually used Densaugeo on Luhan? Then Incarcerous, so I can hang him upside down like a piñata?”

ヾ( ・`⌓´・)ノ゙
The following weeks are torture for Minseok. After what happened in the Great Hall, Luhan just continues where he left off. He now walks Junhee to her classes and even carries her books. He gives her random gifts too. Today, Minseok saw Luhan give Junhee enough chocolate frogs and Bertie Bott’s every flavor beans to last her a year, both her favorites. He also gave her flowers the other day too, a bunch of huge sunflowers.

And Junhee isn’t even batting a lash. She’s just blushing and smiling all through out, and Minseok thinks his little sister is actually enjoying torturing him. She’s never done anything remotely as daring as this, and Minseok is confused. Junhee doesn’t play like this, but apparently she does now? And what’s frustrating him is that he’s still stumped, he still doesn’t know what to do, because he’s never been in this position before. He’s so used to preventing any of Junhee’s admirers from getting near her. That right now, one got so close. And he’s actually scared.

But he’s decided to confront Luhan to rough him up a bit.

He sent Luhan a message through his owl the night before. And he’s gotten a simple ‘okay’ as a reply. He doesn’t know what to expect, but he’d rather get this over with. He just wanted to make sure.

They’re supposed to meet at the quidditch pitch, but he’s been waiting for more than 30 minutes. There’s still no signs of Luhan, and he thinks he might have been stood up.

He decides to just leave and confront the boy at the Great Hall the next day instead. He’d rather not waste his time on waiting because he still had about 7 inches left to write for an essay which was due early morning tomorrow.

“Wait-”

Luhan.

His hair was sticking out in all directions, and his eyes were bloodshot too. He looks like he just woke-up, but Minseok admits that he still looks good anyway. It’s quite the sight though.

“Hey, I’m sorry. I feel asleep while studying for a quiz.”

Minseok just nods. He’s honestly surprised that Luhan still showed up. He was already prepared to accept the fact that he might have been tricked or something, but the fact that the boy was there standing in front of him disproves his prior thoughts.
He finds it amusing though, that instead of sending for his owl to relay a message to reschedule their meeting, Luhan ran all the way from the Gryffindor tower to meet him at the pitch.

Luhan looks like a deer in the headlights, and even though he obviously shouldn’t find it endearing, he does. Because he’s so used to seeing the confident and self-assured Luhan who everyone admires and adores. It’s refreshing to see that there was another side to Gryffindor’s poster boy. But it’s wrong, because this boy likes his sister, and he should be guarded and most definitely not swooning.

“You wanted to talk, right?” Luhan says, breaking the awkward silence.

“Yeah, I mean, I just want to make sure you’re not just going to play around.”

Minseok notices a change in Luhan’s demeanor. His eyes sparkle even more, and his gaze softens. A blush has made its way to his cheeks. And to Minseok, he looks even more endearing.

"I don't think that's possible though, especially when I really like the person."

Luhan pauses, and Minseok takes his time in digesting the new information. Luhan actually likes his sister and is blushing over her. That she might actually be the girl that has caught the heart of the boy who everyone thought was unreachable.

“I know what people say, but I’ve never felt the need to explain myself, you know? It’s not like they’ll change their minds if I say anything. So I’d rather keep quiet, and let them die of curiosity. They have bright imaginations, so there’s a huge variety of heresays. People tend to misunderstand me a lot. But just hope you don’t believe what you hear, because I assure you that I’m anything but that.”

ヾ( ・`⌓´・)ノ゙

The Great Hall looks amazing by itself, but it’s quite amazing how fairy lights, fake snow, and a lot of antique decor can completely change the feel of the hall. It’s not grand by any means, but it’s beautiful.

Minseok, up until now, still doesn’t get why an event such as this was necessary. To him, it would’ve been much nicer to spend New Year’s Eve at home with his parents. But they insisted that he stay at Hogwarts just for the dance, saying that he needs to enjoy these kinds of events more.

Things would’ve been much better if he had someone to accompany him, but Kyungsoo has a date, a boy from Hufflepuff who’s a year younger than he is. Minseok isn’t quite sure if Kyungsoo actually likes the boy, but it’s quite obvious that the boy, Jongin, absolutely adores Kyungsoo. He finds it really cute how Jongin acts like a little puppy, following Kyungsoo around and all. His bubbly and ever-bright attitude somehow goes well with Kyungsoo’s snarky tendencies.

And while Kyungsoo has Jongin, his sister has Luhan. After their talk at the pitch, his opinion on the boy changed drastically. It shocked him how honest the boy was. He expected to have a hard time in getting information out of the boy, but he just willingly answered questions, even going beyond what was asked.

As far as Minseok is concerned, all of Luhan’s answers seem genuine. And he’s glad that his sister won’t be the receiving end of a heartbreak. But something has been bugging him still. There’s this feeling in his chest that’s been constantly persistent. He assumes it’s just his brotherly instincts kicking, but it may be something else. Something else that he’ll never willingly admit.
He’s alone at the table because everyone else had gone dancing. And while he’s never really gone to balls or dances, he’s aware that it’ll be quite boring without a date.

“Min- Minseok?”

He turns his head and sees a very nervous Zhang Yixing standing behind his chair. They’ve known each other from way back. He remembers his first train ride Hogwarts, how nervous and lost he felt. If not for the nice dimpled boy and his equally kind mother, he probably wouldn’t even have made the train. He’s naturally shy around strangers, but Yixing didn’t notice then. For the entire ride, the boy just talked and talked. Minseok still remembers how being with someone that welcoming made him feel a lot calmer.

But they were sorted into different houses, Minseok to Ravenclaw and Yixing to Hufflepuff. They never became close, but through the years, they’ve built a silent companionship.

“Why aren’t you dancing?” Yixing asks, making Minseok smile, because until now, the boy still looks out for him.

“Don’t worry about me, Xing. I’ll probably stand and dance in a while… or you know, just hang-out here.”
He thinks this would appease the other, but Yixing catches him off-guard by grabbing his wrist and forcing him to stand.

“But you have to dance~ So I’m taking you with me!”

Despite the fact that they’re the same size and that Yixing seems weaker compared to him, Yixing manages to drag him across the hall towards the dance floor. Maybe it was because the other boy had gotten a lot stronger, but it’s probably the lack of struggle on his part.
He’s always found Yixing quite amusing, because even if they had grown up already and are no longer the little first year boys who stuffed their faces with chocolate frogs, he never lost his spark. He’s still the same little boy whose warm smile exuded so much happiness, more than enough to be infectious.

“You know I don’t really dance right?” Minseok says, knowing he’ll look like an absolute fool because Yixing is an amazing dancer.

“Don’t worry about it, I’ll lead.”

The song playing is a ballroom classic, and Minseok knows it because his parents often danced to this song at home. It’s very upbeat, so they just go and move to the music. It’s tiring, but Minseok feels much happier in the comfort of someone’s company.

A few more songs pass, and Yixing still insists that they stay on the dance floor, “Don’t you have a date?” he asks, worried that there might be someone in the hall waiting for Yixing. He wouldn’t want to be accused of hoarding someone else’s date.

“I don’t have a date, Min. I was supposed to ask the person I like, but I chickened out…”

“Really? What are you doing with me then? Dance with that person!”

Just as he says that, the music changes into something a lot slower, something meant for more intimate dances. Dances that are intended for couples. So he urges Yixing to leave him, “Go! Look for that person and ask them to dance with you!”

But Yixing does something that catches him off-guard yet again. The boy takes both his hands and pulls him closer, “Min, I’ve been dancing with that person the whole time.”

“Xing…”

Minseok knows, just from the sad smile on Yixing face, that the other understands. That he immediately got what Minseok still hasn’t said. That Minseok can’t return the feelings. A part of him wants to, because Yixing is someone he can rely on. And Yixing is kind-hearted and understanding, but the feeling just isn’t there, and that’s something he can’t force.

“You don’t have to say anything. I just wanted to let you know.”

Minseok’s heart aches because of reasons he can’t exactly explain. It’s a foreign feeling, because no one has really shown him any interest. But he finds out that it’s quite difficult dealing with someone else’s feelings. Especially when that someone is a friend of yours.

“I’ll go ahead, Min. Enjoy your night!”

Before Yixing goes, he hugs Minseok tightly. A hug that Minseok willingly returns. It’s a nice gesture that assures him somehow that things won’t change between them.

But as they let go, Yixing surprises him by sneaking a kiss on his forehead.

“Bye, Minseok!”

He’s left at the side of the dance floor gaping like a gold fish. Because he’s been caught off-guard by the boy yet again.

He decides to go out of the hall, but before he can do so, he sees Luhan and Junhee at the corner of his eye. They’re slow dancing still, and they’re laughing at something only they know. They’d make a good pair he thinks. They’re both gorgeous. And their personalities seem to fit well. And all of a sudden, Minseok feels something he’s not supposed to.

ヾ( ・`⌓´・)ノ゙

“Where is he? Where’s Luhan?”

Minseok is running late for his Herbology class, and he just invaded Gryffindor’s private quidditch practice. But right now, he doesn’t care. Because Luhan is a jerk, who played not only Junhee but played him as well.

Just when he thought he could trust and believe that Luhan isn’t who people say he is, the boy goes on breaking this trust he had such a hard time on giving.

They just returned to classes the day before, and that’s when things started getting messy. He was on his way to his Arithmancy class which he shares with Yixing. They walked to class together, completely void of any awkwardness that could’ve come with Yixing’s confession. Before entering the room, he saw through his peripheral vision, Luhan having a seemingly flirtatious conversation with some 5th year girl. But he didn’t act on the initial burst of emotion, because his professor just entered the room, and he wanted to give Luhan the benefit of the doubt.

He was supposed to meet Junhee because she said she needed to tell him something really important. But instead of getting to talk, Junhee just kept crying. And when Junhee cries, she’s very difficult to console, much less understand.

So he puts the pieces together by himself.

“Minseok?”

Luhan stares at Minseok with those twinkling eyes of his, and Minseok almost loses his resolve. But then he realizes that his charm is all part of the trick. And that he uses it with everyone, and it’s worse than any of the spell and charms that they were taught. Because Luhan doesn’t even need to try, he’s just that. So he moves forward, matching Luhan’s gaze with something much harsher, and punches him square in the face.

The Gryffindor players around them audibly gasp. But he’s not yet done.

“Who do you think you are, huh? You told me you’re not who people say you are, but you made Junhee cry! You lied to me! You made me believe that you’re actually serious about her! But you are everything they say you are. And I can’t believe I thought of liking you!”

He finishes, out of breath and still fuming.

Just when he realizes what he said, Luhan comes closer, a -eating grin on his face.

“Wow, it actually worked.”

“What?”

“Minnie!” Junhee comes running towards them, without any signs of the tearful mess that she was, just minutes ago.

Junhee high-fives Luhan, and Minseok realizes that he’s been played.

ヾ( ・`⌓´・)ノ゙

“I can’t believe you teamed up with this guy! Just so he can help you with Jongdae? Unbelievable!”

His little sister clings to his arm and smiles at him fondly, “I know this looks bad, but it’s a win-win situation right? I mean Luhan has liked you since forever, but he’s a coward. And I honestly think Jongdae likes me too, but he just needed a push, you know?”

He rolls his eyes in distaste, because he never knew his sister has a side as daring as this, “Don’t tell me you’re the one who planned this.”

“What if I did?”

He takes back his arm and glares at Junhee, “What? How?”

“Well, Luhan came to me asking about you. That’s when I confirmed one of my old theories that he might actually be gay, and that he might like you. So I gave him a preposition, if he helps me, I’ll help him.

The innocent grin on Junhee’s face doesn’t match anything that she’s said and done at all. Minseok has this sudden urge to rethink his life, because he’s so predictable. Predictable to the point where he was played with completely, without him realizing any of it.

“Now you know, I’ll leave you now. Someone’s been waiting to talk to you…”

Luhan looks like a kicked, bruised puppy, and Minseok doesn’t know what to say or do. Should he apologize for the bruise forming below Luhan’s right eye? Or should he get even madder? Because a simple confession would’ve been better, and he’d rather not be played by someone who claims to like him.

“I’m sorry. I really am. I just didn’t know how to approach you. I mean, I honestly thought you hated me. I would too, if I were you. I injured you last season, remember that? But I didn’t deliberately crash into you. Being near you just distracted me, and I suddenly dove left, pushing you off your broom. I’m sorry. But I’ve liked you since you helped me pick up my books back in first year.”

“I didn’t hate you, but I might now…” Minseok teased.

Luhan squirms, and Minseok thinks he might actually burst into tears, so he says, “I’m kidding! But you have to make up for your shenanigans, before I actually consider liking you again. And you have to promise that nothing like this will happen again.”

“Okay, okay! No more weird plans, no more lies. I’ll tell you everything.”

“Good.”

Minseok feels as if everything was happening too quickly, and he’s not complaining. Because somehow, this is something he ever knew he wanted. And it took him such an elaborate plan to realize everything.

Luhan takes both his hands, and stares at him with so much emotion, much more than he can handle, “I like you, Kim Minseok. I like you a whole lot.”

“Okay.”

“Okay? Just okay?”

“What do you want me to say?”

“That you like me too!!!”

“Okay fine, I like you too.”

Luhan pulls him into a bone-crushing hug, which he returns with the same intensity. It’s a familiar scene, but this time he knows he can reciprocate the feelings. Probably not in the way Luhan does, but he’s sure he’ll get there someday. And he hopes, he really hopes that there won’t be any misunderstandings.

(“You do know that Gryffindor hates me now? And they hate me because you gave me the golden snitch. When it was obviously in your hand already!”

“But you had to win, so we can meet in the finals!”

“You didn’t have to let go of the snitch though! Everyone thinks that I’m manipulating you, but in truth you’re just an idiot!”

“You don’t mean that, Min…”

“I do! Now go explain to everyone that I did not in any way charm or curse you, and that I did not use our relationship against you, and that you’re just a stupid boyfriend!”)