mugs and kisses

of mugs and compensated morning kisses

 

 


 

It arrived in the early morning.

Donghae had just woken up, sunrays slowly creeping into the living room, casting bright beams over the dark furniture and white walls in front of him as he stood by the kitchen’s island, half-awake as he chewed on a mouthful of bread, fingers wrapped lazily around his usual mug of coffee, and he was still not completely awake when he opened the door to the mailman.

The word FRAGILE was printed in bold red over the package he just received, and it had the fuzzy haze clouding the brunette’s head dissipating slowly as he eyes the object he eyes the package, brunette orbs more alert now . With careful hands he places it on the kitchen’s counter, and goes to get a knife to cut the cardboard.

There was no name or any kind of information that could tell him about the sender, just his own address and name printed on the package which gets Donghae a little impatient as he struggles to open it. He takes a quick breath and looks back at the bold FRAGILE, reminding himself that he should be careful.

A few seconds later, the first layer of cardboard is on the kitchen’s white tiles, and Donghae is holding into another box, this one pale blue in color. The box itself is small and when Donghae carefully opens it, his eyes are greeted with scrunched newspapers tightly forced into the box.

He is yet again careful as tears the papers away, creating a little mess over the clean and clatter free counter, to reveal a mug. A white plain mug. His eyebrows furrow at the sight, it isn't anything special, just a white coffee mug. 

But as he lifts it up to examine it, a smile slowly curls on his lips, the furrow of his eyebrows melting away, as he read the words printed in glossy black over the white mug.

“I envy the cup of coffee that gets to kiss your sleepy lips awake every cold and bitter morning.”

Silly Hyukjae! He thinks, shaking his head lightly, lips stretched into a large grin as he feels his whole chest getting warmed up, which is perfect for this cold morning. 

Donghae places his new mug/gift on the countertop, to race back to their room, sleepiness vanished completely as he jumps into the bed, fumbling with the pillows and the duvet until he was able to retrieve his phone.

You should just wake me up so you don’t end up envying inanimate objects Hyuk -.-

The brunette chuckles to himself when he receives a reply minutes later.

I see you got it! You’re gonna be late for work! I’ll see you soon :)

It manages to add a little skip to his steps as he walks down the street, smile permanent. But it wasn't the coffee that woke him up or warmed him this morning.

 

Donghae was just about to turn the key and unlock his apartment’s door after a long tiring day, when he heard the pitter patter of hurried steps over wooden floors, before the door was pried open from the inside, revealing a tired and messy haired Hyukjae who pushes it further apart and lets him in.

‘Hey.’ He greeted, placing the grocery bag on the floor once he was inside, relieved that he can finally enjoy the warmth of the home he shared with Hyukjae.

‘Hi, Hae.’ Hyukjae greeted back, reaching to hold him by his arm, and shutting the door behind him, taking him by surprise as he leans forward to press his thick lips softly against Donghae's surprised ones.

Donghae’s mouth parts, letting out a bubble of laughter as they break the kiss, still huddled close to one another with the brunette's fingers curled around Hyukjae's sleeves, ‘Compensating for today’s morning?’ he asks, watching as Hyukjae shrugs, lazy smile tugging the corners of his lips while his fingers snake to where Donghae's curled to lace with his own.

‘Maybe,’ he mutters mysteriously, sharp almond orbs glinting with mischief, ‘do you like it?’ he asks, his smile turning into a grin that had the brunette's head hazy for a second.

‘Yes.’ Donghae breathes, and it is easy to crane his neck just a bit so that their lips meet in another kiss, smiling against the familiar warmth, because after all those years and after countless kisses, his stomach still churns pleasantly when Hyukjae returns his kisses with unhurried nips and pecks.

 

Dinner is shared on the sofa and in front of the tv, with their legs stretched before them and plates in their laps even when a dining table for four stands in the other side of the living room, because Donghae doesn’t like having that much distance between them after a long day at work, which is of course spent seperately. He prefers being able to reach out easily and steal some of the food on Hyukjae’s plate, because it is more fun that way.

‘Not fair.’ Hyukjae grumbles, just like he always does, poking around his plate and giving him a little glare.

‘Get used to it.’ He says, nudging the raven haired with his shoulder, and still receiving a scowl that has him chuckling to himself.

He also likes how when they’re done eating and their plates are empty - and in the sink because Hyukjae can't stand having them in the living room once they're done eating-, Hyukjae would stretch and somehow, he ends up with the other’s leg over his lap, and despite Donghae poking him and annoying him, despite how the older wriggles around asking him to stop it, he never adjusts his position or gets away from him.

Donghae also likes how they always end up falling asleep on the sofa, the warmth wafting from each other enough to lull them both to sleep with the tv working as background noise, but when he wakes up some hours later, he is in their bed. He is warm under the thick blanket and his head over a fluffy pillow, and the room is too dark. 

One of Hyukjae's arms is heavy as it's draped over him, but he doesn't mind it at all, and just as he shifts about, Hyukjae sleepily mutters, ‘Go back to sleep, Hae.’ Which he does, after he turns around so he could huddle into Hyukjae’s warmth and scent, knowing he'll sleep well.

 

He is sure it is still quiet early in the morning when he feels something on his face, and with a tired huff he tried to swat it, but after few minutes and no matter how many times he tries to get rid of it, it keeps coming back. With a frustrated sigh, he throws a hand towards it, and he hits something. Donghae cracks one eye open and he is immediately greeted with Hyukjae’s smiling face and messy bed hair, his right cheek bright red and sun is shyly casting its rays into their room, just like he thought. It was too early, and he kinda hates Hyukjae for waking him up. No, not really.

‘You deserved it.’ He hoarsely mutters, sleep thick in his voice as his eyes flutter, snuggling once again into his warm pillow as he hugs it with both arms.

‘Really now?’

‘No one told you to wake me up.’ He replies, mouth falling into a silent and still tired yawn.

‘You did. Yesterday, remember?’ Hyukjae retorts, his voice clear and void of any hesitation, and Donghae wonders what he means since he didn't ask the raven haired to wake him up hours before his regular waking up time. It takes him few seconds before he realizes it, nose scrunched as Hyukjae grins.

‘Oh.’ Is all he could say before the older man pecks his lips, taking him by surprise once again, making his face heat up at the sudden attack, but soon Hyukjae is pulling away, lips quirked into another satisfied grin as he holds into the brunette’s arms, pulling them from their embrace with the pillow and tugs him out of under the warm blanket.

‘Now that you’re awake, wash up and brush your teeth!’ he says.

Donghae slams the bathroom door in his smug face as a revenge he says, covering his face with the both of his palms as Hyukjae cackles from the other side of the door. His heart hammering in his chest as he curses Hyukjae for having such effect on him.

 

Breakfast is mostly quiet, but neither mind since waking up was nosier than normal this morning. Donghae pours coffee into Hyukjae's mug, chest fuzzy and light as the older man holds into his sweater and pulls him for a brief kiss that doesn't help his fluttering heart, only manages to add color to his face.

'I'm still compensating.' the raven haired says as he goes back to his food, and even when he is the one teasing Donghae and initiating their kisses this morning, the brunette is happy to see the tips of the Hyukjae's ears colored with red.

Before Hyukjae heads out for work, he makes sure to wrap both arms around Donghae, bringing him flushed against his warmth. His arms hold the younger while he nuzzles the warm skin of his Donghae’s neck, sending pleasant shivers throughout him. Donghae hugs him back, the best he can, clutching the fabric of his blazer between his fingers and filling his lungs with his cologne, sighing as they part.

‘Let’s meet at the park once you’re done with work.’ Hyukjae suggests, pushing some loose brunette strands from Donghae’s forehead, trying his best to tuck them away.

‘What? No! It’s too cold!’ Donghae immediately replies, shaking his head in disapproval, brows knitted together as he gazes at the raven haired.

Hyukjae smiles, wide and full with teeth and gums, ‘How come you fear the cold when you got me to keep you warm?' He whispers, leaning close to mold their lips together. 

 


 

Told you it was short hehe but hopefully you enjoyed something out of it, and I'm sorry if it wasn't like what you thought it would be ^ ^;; thank you for reading! comments are love, you know :") 

oh and stay tuned for another short thing, though it'll be longer than this one with more things happening!