020 UPDATED*

Reach For The Sky

UPDATED: 240918 'Look at the date!' 
Words: 3402


 

020 

 

25 June 2014 

It was half an hour after we reached the house when mom sneaked into my room and closed the door after her like a thief. She was still dressed up from head to toe unlike me who was in her pajamas now, ready to sleep. 

I felt her weight on the bed, even though I always told her that I don’t like anyone sitting or coming near my own bed. “What was it?” She asked so suddenly. 

“What?” I said that in a bored tone while knowing that she is taking about Baekhyun’s car and whatever happened after. 

“Were they some of your friends?” I looked at mom, disgusted. “NO!” I don’t even understand from where she got that idea. I don’t even have any friends, and she knows that. 

“Okay, okay, calm down.” Her hand was on my shoulder, calming me down and shushing me. “I just wanted to know what was all that about.”

That makes the two of us, mom. 

But I don’t want to talk about anything and mom’s apparently is not getting the signals. I wanted her to leave, but I probably should’ve pretended to be asleep so she wouldn’t talk to me. 

“So what was it?”

“What was what?” I looked at her in the eye, showing my annoyance as I sat. 

“Just tell me what happened,” 

“There is nothing to tell, mom.” 

Well, actually there was plenty. I mean, I am her daughter and I think I should tell her that I need to return to Seoul because I don’t like it here at all. That I am not comfortable. That I feel my comfort zone is being invaded and I don’t like it at all. I should tell her I would kill someone if I stayed more time here. 

“Okay, why don’t we start with how you ended up there? I heard you were the one who discovered the incident.” 

Mom surely has so many expectations out of me. So many things to be telling the other women when they come for tea in the garden. 

I wasn’t in the mood, but I guess she will stay here until morning if I didn’t give her something. “I was down there and I heard something then I saw a car worth more than our old house getting smashed to very small pieces, I got mad. So I went there, where those savages were, trying to stop them or at least understand what’s their problem, but they weren’t even looking at me.” I shrugged, as the anger build up again inside me, remembering Baekhyun’s face and his girlfriend, and I was slowly being reminded of how stupid I was. “So, the security came, the car’s owner came, along with his girlfriend, and that was it.” 

“That’s it?” Mom’s voice was disappointed. “I thought there would be more details.” 

“Yes. Happy now?” I said as I slipped into my bed, covering my face with the blanket. “That was it.”

“Are you sure you didn’t miss any details? I mean, it can’t be that simple.” 

“Well, it is, mom.” I sighed. “I need to sleep, it was a rough night.” 

Mom went silent for a minute, and I would’ve thought she left, but the weight on my bed didn't move. “You know, I was thinking…” 

Any sentence coming out of mom’s mouth that start with ‘I was thinking’ always comes with a bomb. Always.

“I think there is a girl involved in this.” 

“Mom!” I exhaled. “I don’t see what’s so interesting about this. I really don’t,” 

I got my face out and I was looking at her. “It’s just a bunch of guys he probably knows, which doesn’t concern us at all, and they did whatever they did and that was that. It’s like he gets this frequently, and maybe I overreacted when I got on top of that car trying to stop these guys!” 

“Yeah, well, this is weird, don’t you think? I mean, if this happened to me, like my kid’s car got smashed and you were involved in something like that, I wouldn’t be surprised.” 

Oh, thank you mom. 

“But I don’t see Baekhyun as someone who could be problematic and such, you know?”

It means I am, mom? Oh thank you

“He grew up well, and he has his parents around showering him with money.” She started counting and I rolled my eyes. “He’s polite, and educated and everything.” She shrugged and gave me that Sherlock look. “Why would anyone do this to him? Why would he have enemies?” 

Mom does think that way, unfortunately. She sees all those chaebol kids having a great life just because they do have money. 

Well, maybe they do. 

Maybe the reason I am who I am because I don’t have money to buy whatever I want. Maybe the reason I am ed up is because I was working and earning money myself to pay for the house rent from a very young age. Maybe they always had someone to watch over their back and I didn’t and that’s why I was simply ed in the head.

Mom never saw that as a strength, while I have always seen it like that. 

“You know that money isn’t everything mom?” I told mom. 

“Oh, shut up, don’t start this with me now.”  

But I continued, in attempt to deny that Baekhyun is just a peaceful kid because I am mad at him and I want him to be the bad guy. “And even if his parents were with him the entire time, what makes you believe they were good to him?” 

I mistakenly end up saying thing that made me look like I am defending him. “Those guys were s for doing that, yes, but what if he deserved it?” 

I heard her sigh, and if I didn’t know that she was my mom, I would think that she was really worried about Baekhyun. “But still, he doesn’t strike me as a guy of that type.” She cocked her head to the side. “Maybe his cousin would. He got all that bad boy front, right?” 

I can’t believe that mom is going through this. “Mom, whatever, okay? I need to sleep now.”

She got up, which surprised me because I thought this will take more time. But she stopped midway. “Girl!” She gave me that suspicious look as she narrowed her eyes at me. “Are you two having something?”

I shot my eyes open. 

“You do, right?” She approached, and my heart raced. “And then, Souji’s got her crew and they did a revenge present for him, correct?”

I face-palmed myself. 

She gave me a victorious smile as she lifted her fist up in the air. “I knew it! I knew it!”

“Mom, it’s not-“ She was laughing and I had to follow her outside of the room, but I tripped. 

Oh, . 

I need to do something with those wounded feet. 

 

.

 

26 June 2014

It was very early in the morning when I woke up, which means I only slept an hour or two. I got out of my room, but my feet weren’t helping at all. 

One servant saw me and urged me to let her help. I hesitated at first, but when I said yes, she didn’t help. “I think we should get you to a hospital,”

I rolled my eyes at the idea. I don’t want anyone to know about what happened, and if I did go to the hospital, it would be like declaring to everyone that I got hurt yesterday and it’d drive unwanted attention. That I was too stupid to realize that I was stepping onto shattered glass. 

But it hurt, and I couldn’t ignore it any longer, so I decided to go silently with this servant called Mijin

I spent more than 10 minutes explaining to her that I don’t want anyone to know, and she assured me that she respects my choice. On top of that, they will not wake up until it’s 8 o’ clock, so we will have time to go and return. 

She also told me that she asked her partner to tell her if anyone woke up. 

I liked her. I wondered why I just got to know her. 

I was surprised at how everything went so easily. At first, I wanted to resist and stay at home, but this Mijin told me the wounds, and especially foot-wounds, have to be taken care of well, and they don’t heal as fast as the hands if they weren’t done properly. 

We got into the car with Wonwoo, since the driver will be needed in the morning, and if he went missing there will be questions I don’t want. He complained, and I realize the formality that should be between us is absent, and Mijin noticed that as well. 

“You’re so stubborn, you know that?”

“Shut up,” 

He said, looking at me through the mirror. “We could’ve done that yesterday, you know. It’d have been easier to heal too.” 

“Shut up, Wonwoo, and just drive.” 

Mijin who was siting in the front exchanged looks between us and remained silent. I liked that too. After a few minutes of silence, Wonwoo spoke. “May I ask how you got them?”

“No, you may not.” 

I heard him murmuring. “Ah, that temper again.” 

I wondered how can he smile and be in a good mood at 5:30AM? 

That was impressing.