In Which Being a Librarian Sometimes Pays Off (Chansoo)

EXO AU Drabbles

14. “I work in a library and I found you asleep on your books in the back of the building and although you’re ridiculously attractive and adorable when you sleep, I cant leave you here overnight and you’re kinda drooling on our books” AU


It’s already dark outside by the time Kyungsoo starts to make his rounds around the library, making sure there were no books left out on the tables, no doors left unlocked, no shameless college students having in the back behind the tall bookcases (Yes, that had happened, and Kyungsoo hated working in the college library). There were a few books left out here and there, and a few pieces of trash on the floor, but all in all it had been easy to clean up and Kyungsoo smiled to himself, happy for an easy night for once.

He was just about to go get his things and leave when he heard a sound. Stilling, he looked around, silent as to pinpoint where the sound was coming from. Had someone managed to get in while he was locking up? His heart started pumping a little bit harder when the sound came again, from somewhere behind one of the large shelves near the study areas in the back. Was it those kids again, back to get revenge on him for stopping their hormones from infecting the library carpet? He doubted it, but still. He couldn’t be too careful, not when he was alone in a huge library and his stuff was all the way across the building near the front. Quietly, he began to edge his way over to the back bookcases, steeling himself for whatever was to come. When he was only a step away, he took a (quiet) deep breath and his head around the bookcase to see what was behind it.

It was a student. A long-legged, lanky college student with his head on one of the library books scattered around him on the table. His hair was an absolute mess, and there was a little snore coming from his lips every time he’d breathe out. It was… Adorable. Kyungsoo didn’t use that word for many things, but he felt like this time he’d allow himself to pin it to the guy in front of him. He wasn’t sure how long he just stood there staring and calming down his quickly beating heart, because he was really relieved that it hadn’t been a murderer, but he finally shook himself out of it and walked slowly over to where the student had decided to take a nap.

The books were all medical books, and Kyungsoo winced in sympathy for the guy, because he knew the medical classes were overloaded with work. He almost didn’t want to wake him up, because he just looked so peaceful and cute and Kyungsoo was sure the poor thing was probably exhausted, but he had to. So he took another deep breath and carefully reached out to touch the student’s shoulder and shake him in the slightest bit.

“Um, excuse me, the library is closing now and I have to ask you to leave.” The guy shifted, closing his mouth, and Kyungsoo noticed that he’d been drooling on one of their books about some type of infectious disease that had been eradicated through vaccines. Although he couldn’t blame him, because that book looked boring as , drooling on the books was kind of disgusting. “Hello?” He shook his shoulder again, still gentle, and the guy’s eyes opened. He blinked up at Kyungsoo, confusion painted on his face as he wrinkled his nose in this cute way that made Kyungsoo want to kiss him. Not that he would, that would be a bit creepy. This wasn’t Sleeping Beauty so he might get a restraining order.

“What?” The student’s voice was groggy and deep, and Kyungsoo got chills from it because he hadn’t been expecting such a y voice from someone with such a cute sleeping face.

“You fell asleep here in the library and we’re closing. I can’t leave you here overnight.” As soon as the words were out of his mouth, the student snapped back up into a sitting position, eyes suddenly wide as he looked at first the books on the table, then back up at Kyungsoo.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry! I was just going to give my eyes a bit of a rest and I must have fallen completely asleep!” He hurriedly began to gather up the books and writing utensils strewn around him, and Kyungsoo stared at him. Usually, students he woke up grouched at him and glared or just sleepily said thank you and staggered out. He’d never had any of them apologize to him before, so this was new.

“Oh, it’s okay. It happens all the time, really. And I know how stressful college is. Especially if you have a job or something on the side.” The guy looked up from where he’d been stuffing everything into his bag and gave him a bright smile that almost made Kyungsoo want to squint from the way it radiated.

“Well, I’m still sorry. It must be a pain in the for you to have to wake everyone up all the time.” Kyungsoo shrugged, acting nonchalant as he messed with the keys on the lanyard around his neck. “Thank you, though! Dude, I would have probably been here all night and then gotten in trouble tomorrow when the next shift came in. Then I probably would’ve missed a class and I really can’t do that because the points for attendance are killers. So yeah, you basically saved me.” Kyungsoo found himself laughing at the guy’s exaggerated story of what might have happened. Most likely, none of that would have happened, other than the fact that he’d stay overnight, but Kyungsoo still found it quite funny.

“I doubt it would’ve been that bad, the staff here probably would just do the same thing I just did. Wake you up and send you on your way.” The guy swung his backpack onto his shoulders (the thing must weigh a ton, Kyungsoo thought) and grinned, running a hand through his hair.

“Well, still. You never know!” He leaned over and surprised Kyungsoo by tapping on his temple. “Have a little imagination, librarian man.” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and ducked away from his large hand.

“I have plenty imagination, but I’m a realist when it comes to things like my job. And my name’s Kyungsoo. Come on, let’s get going.” He turned around and began to walk towards the front doors, and the guy followed, falling into step beside him. Kyungsoo hoped the lights were dim enough that the other couldn’t see the light blush on his face.

“Nice to meet you, Kyungsoo. I’m Chanyeol!” It was kind of weird, exchanging names with a student he’d woken up only moments ago, but he liked it. A lot. Chanyeol was infectiously happy, and damn, he was cute. Really, really cute, especially with his face resting on a library book. “Hey, are you going to school to be like, a librarian or something?” Kyungsoo laughed again, and surprised himself, because it was so rare that he would laugh around just anyone.

“No, no, this is just a job to help me pay off tuition. Actually, I’m in the music department. I want to be a singer and song writer.” He glanced over at Chanyeol to see his reaction and saw that the (much) taller man’s mouth was open, almost as wide as his eyes, but he looked really amazed.

“Really? That’s so cool, do you know my friend Baekhyun? He’s majoring in music too!” Kyungsoo groaned out of instinct and ducked behind the front desk to turn off the rest of the lights and grab his things.

“Yes, unfortunately, I do know Baekhyun.” Chanyeol laughed, too loud for a library, but nobody was there anyways so Kyungsoo didn’t scold him, just enjoyed the sound.

“I knew it, he talks about you a lot. He seems to like to get on your nerves.” Kyungsoo picked up his bag and walked over to Chanyeol’s side, pulling out the keys to lock everything behind them as they exited.

“I’ve noticed, trust me.” Chanyeol’s eyes sparkled with amusement as he watched Kyungsoo turn the key in the locks.

“Maybe you could come practice with us. I play the guitar sometimes, when I’m not too busy with my studies, and we have a lot of friends who come join us from time to time. It’s really fun, we all get to sing and play games together.” Kyungsoo remembered Baekhyun inviting him once or twice, and he knew his friend Jongin would sometimes go, so it wouldn’t be too weird for him to accept Chanyeol’s invitation, right? After all, he could just say he changed his mind about going.

“Sure. Let me have your phone so I can give you my number, that way you can contact me next time you guys get together.” Kyungsoo would swear from then on out that, when Chanyeol exchanged phones with him, his smile shone brighter than the moon and stars overhead.