rice cakes

Love Thy Neighbor

Lee Jihoon was known for sleeping late. A tornado could sweep the roof off his house, and he'd still be sleeping. However, it seemed like luck wasn't on his side. 

It was 1 in the afternoon of a Sunday morning, and Jihoon was peacefully enjoying his beauty sleep when his mum banged loudly on the door to his room, trying to wake him up. Groaning in frustratuon, Jihoon tore the blanket off his body and got up to open the door before him mum broke it down. 

"I'm up, mum. I'm up.'' He said tiredly.

"Great! Take a shower and come downstairs when you're finished. I need you to run an errand for me." With that, his mum went back to the kitchen, leaving Jihoon to groan miserably at her words. 

Sighing in discomfort, he quickly showered and got dressed in a pair of gray sweats and an oversized t-shirt and made his way downstairs. 

Upon entering the kitchen, Jihoon spotted a few plates of freshly made rice cakes and his mouth watered at the sight. Hearing his footsteps, his mum turned to him expectantly and her eyes lit up, "Good afternoon, Jihoon!"

"Afternoon, mum. Why are you making so many rice cakes? Are we giving these to someone??" Jihoon questioned. 

His mum just shrugged at him and proceeded to place some of the rice cakes into a box before handing it to him. Still oblivious to his mum's intention, Jihoon took the box from her and looked at her in curiosity.

"Would mind taking them to Seungcheol's house? I made these in hope of giving them to your aunt, but she's busy and won't be able to come pick them up so I decided to give them to Seungcheol instead. Better to give them out than leave them to rot, right? You wouldn't mind delivering them for me, would you? Great, I thought so." His mum said in one go and it took a minute for Jihoon to process her words. 

No, I can't. I can't face him after what happened. It'd be so goddamned awkward. I can't. He thought.

"But mum! I don't want to, you know I don't like Seungcheol! Just tell Chan to go!" He protested. 

His mum just simply gave him a glare and a look that clearly said 'bull-me-again-I-dare-you' making him shut up and continued,

"Your brother is busy studying for a test tomorrow, Jihoon. Plus, Seungcheol is a really nice kid from what I see. I know you don't hate him, you're just unwilling to admit it. Now off you go before they get cold. Quick!" His mum deadpanned and Jihoon huffed in exasperation before nodding. 

Muttering an "okay", Jihoon exited his house and walked toward the house next to his, the box of rice cakes in his hand. 

Upon his arrival, Jihoon pressed on the doorbell and waited for the door to be opened.

Much to his surprise, Jihoon was greeted with a sight he wished he did not see. 

Standing in front of him was Seungcheol with only a towel wrapped around his waist, leaving his upper body for the world to see. 

There was water dripping down his face and chest, giving out the fact that he had just finished showering the time his doorbell rang and holy crap are those six packs he's seeing-

To say that Jihoon was shocked would be an understatement. He was beyond terrified. 

He just stood there, paralyzed and still staring at the sight in front of him with his mouth wide opened. 

Coming to his senses, he quickly diverted his gaze elsewhere but the boy in front of him before stuttering out the purpose of his visit.

"My mum made these and told me to bring them to you. So um that's it. Goodbye!" 

With that, Jihoon shoved the box containing rice cakes into Seungcheol's hand and turned to leave only to clumsily tripped on his own foot. 

He braced himself to meet with the floor, to which did not quite happen since the a pair of arms darted out and pulled Jihoon by his waist to steady him. 

The action led to both him and Seungcheol falling down onto the floor followed by a loud thud, landing Jihoon on his back and Seungcheol on top of him, his and still wet chest pressing uncomfortably close against Jihoon's clothed one. 

He was so close that Jihoon could literally smell his fresh minty breath, and it made him wonder what brand of toothpaste the guy used. 

Wow. Snap out of it, Lee Jihoon. You're being crushed into a slow and painful death here! Not to mention, it's Seungcheol! Choi Seungcheol, the guy you hate to the core! His inner conscience screamed at him, and Jihoon finally had the guts to try to push the guy on top of him away. 

Instead of getting off, Seungcheol stayed still and stared intensely at his face. In a split second, Jihoon felt a pair of lips on his own, and his eyes widened in shock. 

What the actual , He thought. 

Placing both of his arms on Seungcheol's chest, he tried to push him away, but his arms were grabbed and pinned to his sides. 

Suddenly, Seungcheol softly bit his bottom lip, causing him to let out a yelp before the taller male took the opportunity and shoved his tongue inside of Jihoon's mouth. As Seungcheol's tongue roughly explored the cavern of his mouth, Jihoon's mind became clouded, and he couldn't think straight. 

Much to his own surprise, Jihoon subtly felt himself responding to the kiss. As their tongues battled for dominance, reality hit him. 

This wasn't supposed to be happening. They weren't supposed to be like this. It wasn't right, yet it felt so right at the same time. 

There was a turmoil going inside his head, and before he knew it, he had used all his might and successfully pushed the man away, abruptly ending the kiss they just shared. 

A loud slap echoed throughout the house.

Seungcheol stood there, looking surprisingly calm though there was an obvious red handprint on his left cheek. Jihoon rapidly wiped his lips and glared at the other man with pure fury in his eyes. 


"What the do you think you're doing, Choi Seungcheol?" He yelled, his face as red as a tomato. 

Seungcheol said nothing and made no attempt to try to explain why he did what he just did, so the two of them just stood there with Jihoon still glaring daggers at his head and him staring back at Jihoon with a look that couldn't be described on his face. 

This is just not my day. my life. 

Realizing that he's probably not going to get a reply anytime soon, Jihoon swore under his breath and spoke again in a frustrated tone, "I should go. Don't forget to return the box later."

He turned around and left, kicking the shoes lying at the door on his way out. Exiting the house, he reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone, texting Soonyoung,
 
To: Annoying Soonyoung 

Heading to your house right now, it's an emergency. 
Call Jeonghan hyung and tell him to come.

 
From: Annoying Soonyoung 

What's wrong? : 0
 
To: Annoying Soonyoung 

I'll tell you later, I'm almost there. 
 
Upon arriving at his friend's house, Jihoon greeted Soonyoung's mum and quickly strode up to his friend's bedroom. He found Jeonghan there, munching on some chips, and Soonyoung was on the couch with Seokmin resting his head on the blonde's laps. 

"Where's Jisoo hyung?" He asked Jeonghan. 

The latter just shrugged and answered, his mouth full of chips, "He's out finishing some project for history with Seungkwan."

"Oh." Throwing himself on the bed, Jihoon grabbed a pillow and screamed into it in frustration.

"What's bothering you?" Soonyoung questioned. 

Jihoon sighed loudly and told his three friends what happened, not missing a single detail about how he and Seungcheol almost kissed at the library and also how Seungcheol had kissed him at his house. 

Seokmin had his mouth wide opened as he processed the information in his head while Jeonghan had stopped eating his chips since god knows when and now had his attention focused solely on Jihoon. 

Jihoon finished, and the room was silent except for the sound of him breathing heavily. 

Jeonghan, being the oldest of the group, cleared his throat to break the ice and turned to look at Jihoon.

"Jihoon, do you like Seungcheol?" Jeonghan asked out of the blue, and the question made every nerve in Jihoon's body freeze. 

That one question had so much impact that Jihoon's head was starting to hurt from all the thinking. 

Did he like Seungcheol? He did not know. Did he hate Seungcheol? He wasn't sure if he really did anymore. How did this happen? He did not know either. 

Shaking his head furiously, Jihoon flashed Jeonghan a look that screamed of helplessness.

"I don't know, hyung. I don't know what or how I'm feeling anymore." 

Jeonghan sighed and shifted closer to his friend. Patting the orange-headed on the head, he was about to continue when Soonyoung suddenly spoke up, cutting off Jeonghan in the process.

"Why did you kiss him back if you don't know?"

Jihoon was left speechless at that. 

Why in the world did he respond to the kiss if he didn't like Seungcheol? It just did not add up. 

He felt as if his head was going to explode from all the unanswered questions running through his head and he frustratedly ran his hand through his hair.

"I really don't know why I did that. I'm just as confused as you guys are right now, and nothing is helping. One second, he was my least favorite person in the world and the next second, we were kissing and- urgh, I'm so frustrated." 

Jihoon grabbed his own hair in exasperation and shot his friend another confused look. 

Jeonghan and Soonyoung sighed. The two exchanged a knowing look before turning to look at Jihoon,

"Jihoon, listen and don't freak out, okay?" Jeonghan said cautiously while Soonyoung glanced nervously around the room and his boyfriend. 

Jihoon nodded. 

"I think you like Seungcheol." Jeonghan and Soonyoung said in unison and Jihoon's world turned upside down.