Small Talk and Sparks

I'll Be There

Jiyong continued to run leaving him behind apparently without noticing. Taeyang turned to see a petite black girl with black and turquoise hair frowning and looking towards the ground at the book and spilled vanilla ice cream cone she was holding. She bent down to pick up the sticky book and began to wipe it off. “I'm so sorry, are you okay?” Taeyang bowed apologetically grabbing some napkins from the nearby ice cream stand and bending down, helping her wipe her clothes that got dirty also. “It's alright and I'm fine,” the girl replied as she fixed her clothes rubbing the stains out. They both reached for the dirty napkins and awkwardly apologized as they looked at each other for the first time. Taeyang’s jaw completely dropped as he got pulled in by her beauty. He took her all in within that moment. Her chocolate brown skin matched nicely with her brown eyes as they reflected in the sunlight. Her high cheeks bones and small pierced nose went perfect with her round face full of color and her bobbed ombre hair fell in front of her face. She wore a distressed black tank top dress with a purple heart on the front of it, exposing her tattoos on her bicep and sides, black legging, and knee high boots to match, and a purple beanie. She smiled and stood and Taeyang snapped out of his trance and did the same. He opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted by her pulling his arm and turning him toward the ice cream stand while pushing her beanie over his head, covering his hair. “Just act natural,” she said as a group of teenage girls ran by. Once they disappeared, Taeyang turned to her. “How did you know?” She smirked and shrugged, “Well you were obviously running from something and you are a very attractive looking guy so…I just put two and two together. Ahh he must be an idol.” Taeyang laughed and smiled goofily rubbing the back of his neck shyly. It was clear she didn’t particularly recognize him, but in the moment that made him more comfortable to drop his guard with her. “I’m so sorry; I will buy you another ice cream.” “It’s alright, don’t worry about it,” she protested. “No please let me, I owe you one,” Taeyang pressed, his adorable trapping her mind to the point she couldn’t help but say okay. He ordered another vanilla cone for her and a chocolate one for himself. “So, what’s your name?” he spoke up to end the awkward silence between them. The girl smiled and held out her hand, “I’m Lanna.” He took her hand and introduced himself as well, “I’m Youngbae.” Since she didn’t recognize him it made it a bit easier to be comfortable and himself and not Taeyang of Big Bang, so he decided to just use his given name. Also just in case Taeyang rang a bell to her and she would start acting different like most girls.  “Youngbae...hmm that name sounds familiar,” Lanna thought, but couldn’t make the connection.

The two sat and enjoyed their ice cream and talked, getting to know each other a bit. “So, what brings you to Japan?” Taeyang asked Lanna curiously wanting to know everything about the gorgeous woman in front of him. “I’m an aspiring alternative model from America and I’m doing my first international shoot,” Lanna replied. “Cool,” he said with a nod. Modeling suited her well; she was super gorgeous in Taeyang’s mind. “I’m here for work myself as you can see shooting promotions. Is this your first time traveling outside of America?” “Yeah actually, I love it. I’ve always wanted to go to Japan, South Korea, China, hell everywhere,” Lanna chuckled, “It’s like a dream.” Taeyang smiled, “Where are you from in the states?” he asked. “I’m from Cali,” Lanna replied simply, “What about you?” “Korea, I live in Seoul” Taeyang replied. “Awesome, my best friend is there now, I can’t wait to go there. I hope I will go there soon,” Lanna said as she finished up her ice cream cone and wiping her fingers with a napkin. “Well, if you make it there hope I can run into you again,” Taeyang smiled shyly rubbing the back of his neck. “Yeah you will probably be running from another group of girls and I will automatically know it’s you,” she said. Taeyang laughed and shook his head. She had no idea how right she could be. “Well that’s my life, not trying to brag but I’m pretty popular,” Taeyang bit his lip and his face playfully. Lanna made a face and replied sarcastically, “I’m so sure you are.” They both laughed. “Well, I’m sure your famous back home, how else would you know how to help me hide?” Taeyang said confidently. Lanna shrugged, “Ehh, maybe. Something like that I guess,” Taeyang wondered what that meant but decided to shrug it off.  They talked more together and he found out more about Lanna, like how she played guitar, how she liked singing the way he did, how she knew three languages Korean being one,  and what magazines she modeled for and they even shared the stories of their tattoos and other flavors of ice cream they liked. Then, Lanna’s cell phone notification alarm went off. “Oh , I’m gonna be late for the meeting with my photographer! I gotta go, I’m sorry. I hope the rest of your work goes well in Japan. Don’t get chased by anymore girls,” she giggled and waved as she bowed her thanks to the ice cream vendor and began walk off. “Hope I see you again.” He smiled and waved back, “Yeah I hope so.” He reached up to scratch his head in thought then he noticed her was still wearing her beanie. “Wait! You forgot your…” he began but she waved it off. “Keep it, you gotta keep that pink hair covered make you less noticeable” she yelled as she blended more into the distance, “Jaa ne!” He looked at the hat reflecting on the past hour and a half that he spent with this girl and she was amazing and interesting. It was surprising for him because he wasn’t so easily drawn to any girls before, it took him awhile to be comfortable and warm up to them since he has always so cautious. There was just something about Lanna. She was definitely different from other girls he was attracted to, who were usually the typical skinny feminine Korean girl. He never thought he would be into a girl with piercings, tattoos, and colored hair, let alone the skin color and body type. He definitely liked the body type. His thoughts were interrupted by his phone vibrating in his pocket. It was a text from Jiyong. *Ji: Yah, where did you disappear to Youngbae-ah? Did they catch and kidnap you? :P Taeyang shook his head and chuckled. *Tae: How would I be txting you back right now? Lol I’m about to head to the hotel room now. He looked back at the place they were sitting think back over everything and smiled. “I hope we do run into each other soon.”