Painting The Sunrise at 6 am

Painting The Sunrise at 6 am

More or less, the sun would rise at 6am. Yesung had made it a habit to watch the sunrise.If it’s a school day, he would make sure to get to school early and watch the sunrise from the school’s rooftop. If it’s not a school day, then he would usually just watch the sunrise from his house’s rooftop. There are times he would go on a trip to the beach or climb to reach the top of a hill or mountain just to watch the sunrise.

Sungmin found an unfinished painting of the sunrise in the art classroom. “It’s really nice. Are you really watching the sunrise while painting this or is it just from your imagination?” Sungmin asked the painter whose name was Yesung.

“I watch the sunrise. I’m a slow painter so I couldn’t finish it right away. Everyday, I make adjustments just like how the sun would have a different angle in the morning or how the clouds would move and have a different shape each morning.” Yesung explained.

“If that’s the case, then you’ll never finish it.”

“Maybe I don’t want to finish it. It’s like an addiction to a drug except it’s safer.”

Sungmin was in the photography club and also being the photographer for the school’s newspaper while Yesung was in the art club and mainly on painting. Sungmin had entered a contest and his photo won 1st place. It was a very beautiful sight of nature. Yesung was deeply moved when he saw it so he painted an exact replica of it. Instead of saying that it was plagiarism like what most people did, Sungmin admired Yesung’s work and defended him by saying that he asked Yesung to paint it for him. That’s how Sungmin and Yesung became friends.

Since then, they would occasionally visit each other’s workplace. That’s why Sungmin is in the art room right now. “How long have you been working on this?”

“Two years.”

“Two years?!?!?! And you don’t ever plan to finish it?!?! How come you never showed this to me before?”

“Until there’s something else that would snatch my attention away from the sunrise then I really don’t have any plans on stopping. This is more like just a hobby to me. It’s not something magnificent or really worth showing it. I just forgot to cover it with a cloth today so you got to see it.”

The next day Yesung was surprised to see Sungmin at the school’s rooftop.

“I hope it’s okay to watch you paint.”

“Yeah, sure.” Yesung proceeded to set up his painting materials and began painting while Sungmin observed his work carefully. That’s how they’ve been for the next few mornings. That’s the only time they have for each other because for the rest of the day, they would be busy with their own friends, their own studies, their own pastime, their own stuff. The only other time they would spend with each other would be when one would decide to visit the other’s workplace but that would only happen sometimes.

The next time Yesung visited at Sungmin’s workplace. There were three photos that had caught his attention. First, the sunrise. Second, the unfinished painting with Yesung’s hand obviously still painting. Third, Yesung with his face full of concentration and enjoyment while painting. Then Yesung read the small quotes at the bottom of the pictures.

I’ve never watched the sunrise before. Now, I watch the sunrise through Yesung’s painting. But most of all, I love watching Yesung paint with passion.

“You know, it’s my first time to see Sungmin take a photo of a person that doesn’t need to be published to a school’s newspaper.” Eeteuk, a fellow photographer, said. “Sungmin would always prefer taking pictures of non-living things or beautiful sights but never people unless it’s for the school’s newspaper.”

“Really? That’s a coincidence. I also like painting non-living things and beautiful sights but never people.” Yesung said. He instantly knew what Eeteuk was implying earlier and he knows that Eeteuk must have understood what he is trying to say right now. “I’ve been having the urge to paint Sungmin lately.”

“Sungmin is not here right now though. He’s out to take pictures for the school magazine.”

“It’s a good thing that he’s out or else he would probably hide these pictures from me.”

The next morning, Sungmin was surprised when Yesung declared that his painting of the sunrise was finished. “Really? Why have you suddenly decided to finish it today? Does that mean we won’t come here anymore?”

“You sound disappointed.”

“I’m not.” Sungmin denied.

Yesung smiled at Sungmin’s denial. He knew that Sungmin probably didn’t notice that he was pouting cutely and that the disappointment clearly showed in his eyes. “The sunrise painting is finished but that doesn’t mean we have to stop meeting.”

“Really?” Hope and happiness shone in Sungmin’s eyes.

“You sound happy.”

“I’m not.” Sungmin denied again.

Yesung laughed this time, which annoyed Sungmin a bit and resulted to more pouting. “Tomorrow I will paint you.” Yesung said as he calmed down from his laughter.

Sungmin stopped pouting. “Why?” He asked in surprise.

“For the same reason, you took my picture.”

Sungmin blushed. “You saw it?”

“Yeah and I want to return…” Yesung caressed Sungmin’s cheek. “…your feelings.” He tilted Sungmin’s chin up so he could properly place a kiss on Sungmin’s lips.

Yesung stopped painting the sunrise. His new hobby was painting Sungmin while Sungmin made a hobby of taking snapshots of Yesung and photos of them together.

THE END

A/N: I had this unfinished plot in my mind since two months ago. I don't know why I was suddenly inspired and able to finish it one day~ ^_^

 

This is part of the Different Hours of the Day Series cowritten with hae_ki.

Please click on the ^above^ link to read haeki's fic and to see the complete table with the list of oneshots that is a part of the series.

If you want to read more of this YeMin pairing, click these:

Black Butterflies of Death

Sungmin's Cuteness Series

 

Lastly, comments please?