Her Imperial Crown

Her Imperial Crown

She thought that maybe she had finally gotten there. Gotten to somewhere where they couldn't find her.

But of course not.

For the...what was it now?...it had to be at least the dozenth time, in walked Tao. Strutted, really, like he belonged there. In her face, in her life, like he used to be.

What they had had was good, sure, but it didn't last forever. These things usually don't, after all. They were in love, but something bigger called her, shined brighter, and she just couldn't stay. It tore her up for a while, but she got over it eventually, like any normal adult would. And now here she was, queen of her hill. Throne and all.

But Tao sauntered through her door, down her hallway, shucking his jacket and dropping it on her floor. There used to be things that were theirs.

She had had just enough advance warning, as always. How could he make a show of it otherwise? How could there be a real fight? He wasn't there just to see her, no matter what he insisted. If he really wanted to get to her he'd bring a gun, but this was more a performance than anything.

Six men in front of her and her two leopards by her side, all far too well-trained to make a move before her command. She doubted the men would stop him, and she hoped not to have to sic the cats on him- either they'd well and truly rip him to shreds, or he'd cripple them. 

She wanted, just desperately wanted him to understand how unwelcome he was. How he should leave. Should have left the first time, when they were speaking alone, then he was shouting, crying, begging, grabbing, shaking. She had called her bodyguard then. A woman in her position couldn't be without one, she had learned. Tao was manhandled out, and she thought that was the end of it.

But he kept. Coming. Back. And she learned to be as ready as she could be.

Six huge men, she thought, might stand a chance. And for a moment it looked like she was right. They got him down on the ground, and she was pretty sure that was the first time she'd done so well. They were well and truly brutalizing him; blood was waterfalling down his face, onto his shirt, into his eyes. Maybe, maybe, maybe...

But then he was up, flying through the air, fist like a jackhammer, roaring. The men started falling. Not dead, of course, Tao wouldn't do that. It didn't violate any moral code of his, she knew, he just thought it would upset her.

And God she couldn't lie to herself. In those moments she remembered the old times. The power in his body, his dedication, that laser focus which had been so attractive until it swung, red-hot, towards her. He pummeled the face of the last man down. Relentless, impassioned. Hitting more than he had to.

Tao stood, limped across the room, and shrugged his jacket back on. The dandy little showoff - his nose was broken, his brow was split, and something was deeply wrong with his left leg, but of course he wouldn't move on unless his outfit was squared away.

He reached out his hand, and she tried to sink back into her gilded seat without Tao being able to see. An inch, a second, a brush of his fingertip away from loosing the leopards onto his throat, two of her men were on him. As he was hauled away, the shiny tips of his leather shoes dragging along the floor, she could finally exhale for the first time in what felt like minutes.

Her head was light, but her heart was steadying. As she idly the head of a leopard, she wondered if they'd drop him out of the helicopter again. It clearly hadn't served as a deterrent last time, but what was the fun of having a helicopter if you never got to really use it?

"We did well this time, Miss," said her lieutenant, appearing from the next room. "It was almost six months before he found us. I think it's time for us to move on, though. I'll start getting things ready."

She sighed. "It hardly matters. He'll be back. He always is."

"Then we can go somewhere they'll never expect to find you."

She took a deep breath, hiding the tightness rising in . "Everywhere we've been so far has been somewhere they'd never expect." She rearranged her hair, rising from her seat. "Call the medics for these men, then we'll start making arrangements for the next safehouse."

"Right away, Miss. Anything else?"

"...yes. I think we'll need a little something more at the next place. I think I need a bigger throne. And the leopards will need some new playmates to help them get settled. Find me wolves."

+++++++++++

Into the house. Dead coordinates in the box with the others.
Into the shower. Wash off the seawater.
Scream.
Scream.
Fresh suit. Fresh shoes.
Into the car.
He understood the risks.
He was sure.
He wanted to do this again.
He just wanted to see her.