Night Watcher

MOONLIGHT GIRL

 

 

It’s been hell of a long week.  I already lost count of how many flights I have taken touring around the world.   Attending shows and parties of sponsors in-between concerts.  It’s taking a toll on my body.  I can feel it already.

It was one of those late nights when I got the chance to finally go home.  I refused my manager’s offer to give me a ride home.  I knew he was more eager than me to get home to his family.  He’s been missing his kids a lot.  I kind of pity him.

I drove my car slowly on the empty quiet street leading to my neighborhood.  It was so peaceful out there.  Not even a single stray cat on the street.  I haven’t regret buying my house about half a year ago.  Everything is perfect.  I have privacy in my own home and the neighbors are great.  Not that I see them anyway since I’m rarely home.  I wonder if they even knew of my existence in their neighborhood.

Except for one soul…

As I waited for the automatic gate to pull up, light illuminated the balcony of my next door neighbor.  Maybe it was the noise from my garage that woke up my neighbor but, I have this delusion that she is waiting for me every night.

Yes.  She.  A young lady.

I haven’t actually met or saw her face at close but I know she’s one of those rare beauties.  Angelic and soulful.  I once caught a glimpse of her when she forgot to close her window curtain.  I was shamefully stunned at seeing her face through the paned window.  She was oblivious I was watching her from my room across hers.  But her nanny caught me watching and angrily pulled the curtain leaving me red on the ears.  I felt like a peeping Tom.

I stayed inside the car and watched as the French door of my neighbor slowly pulled open.  The young lady emerged wearing a creamy flowing night gown.  The night wind blew her hair making her beauty look more ethereal.  I gasped.  She’s astonishingly beautiful. The moonlight on her silhouette accentuated her goddess features.

I watched her every move while inside my car.  She was staring at me as if she could see through the heavily tinted window.  Another wind blew and I saw her shivered.  She embraced herself and turned her back.  She was going back to her room.

I panicked.  I don’t want her to leave.  In my haste to get down from the car, I accidentally pressed the car horn shocking the hell out of me… and my mysterious night watcher.

She stopped going inside her room and looked down at me.

I swear time stopped when I saw her staring at me.  Our eyes met and I felt shiver down my spine.  I could see how lonely her eyes were. And they were pulling me to her.

I gingerly raised my hand to greet her.  It was a mistake.  Fear showed in her eyes.  She left the balcony and disappeared in her room…

 

 

 I didn’t know how I managed to sleep last night.  That image of her staring at me from the balcony wouldn’t leave my head.  I kept wishing she would open her curtain once again but I was wishing in vain.

I needed to get off my bed already.  It’s already midnoon and I still have appointment on the late afternoon.  I couldn’t even get a whole day to rest.

Expectantly,  I approached my window and slowly pulled the curtain hoping to catch a glimpse of her.

Nothing.  Not even a trace of her presence last night.  I roamed my eyes on the balcony.  It wasn’t how I remembered it last night.  The potted plants are withering.  Dust and fallen leaves are accumulating on the easy chair resting against the wall.  Was it just my imagination?  Was I just hallucinating last night?

 

 

 

The tour finally ended.  The company gave me a whole week to rest before I resume working again.  It was still daylight when I reached my neighborhood.  I spotted some kids lingering in front of my neighbor’s house.  They were whispering to each other.  I could see discomfort on their faces.  Hoping they wouldn’t recognize me, I rolled down my window and asked them what is happening.

“Kids, what are you doing here?”  I inquired.

They looked at each other.  One girl nudged the boy beside her.

“N-nothing, ahjussi.  We were just playing.”  The boy answered.

“Aren’t you supposed to be at home already?  It’s almost sunset.” 

“We’re actually waiting for the sun to disappear.”  The girl proudly said.  It earned her scowls from her friends.

It got me more curious.  “Why?”  I asked further.

“We’re ghost hunting.  There.”  She pointed at the house beside mine.

“Ghost hunting?!”

“A year ago, the girl in that house passed away.  There were rumors her soul is still inside there.  Some people said they still see the light on her balcony.”

I felt the air leaving my body.  I can’t breathe.  My eyes flew to the balcony.  On the twilight, I saw her standing there looking back at me.  She slowly raised her hand and waved at me.  A sudden gush of wind blew.  At the blink of an eye, she disappeared into nothingness.  I felt my body shaking.  I froze.  And there is nothing.

“AHJUSSI!”