4. Coins for Dongwoo

Sonder
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

for namtae0ppa, lkimxxx, anitaklr24 and seto_mizer

===

Last summer is when it all started.

Or at least, it was when almost everyone knows about Dongwoo’s unusual hobby. But then again, he doesn’t really think that collecting coins is unusual. Just because not many people on his school does it or like it, that it becomes unusual or odd, at least that’s what he thought. He also never really thinks that it was a secret; some people must have noticed it when he collected the coins they left behind after leaving it behind at the cashier, or when he actually stop walking when he saw a coin laying on the floor, but everybody was literally gave him a disbelief reaction when he finally showcased his huge amount of collection.

Well, some people took an enjoyment on collecting stuffs and the reason why he had pick coins to collect is maybe it’s because he has learned how to appreciate little things that people often ignore, like coins or tissues or a touch or a smile. He has learned that sometimes when you lost those little things is when it hurt the most. He figured that too much people take little things for granted and little did they know, sometimes it could be their biggest regret. That’s why his sunshine smile never left his face, and that’s also why he make sure that his mom knows that he loves her very much – Dongwoo doesn’t really give a damn when his friends for being a mommy’s boy – and that’s why he collected coins. Maybe because he doesn’t want to have any regrets in this lifetime.

 

 

“Here is it, hyung,” Sungyeol plopped himself besides Dongwoo and put a few coins in front of him. “I don’t know how many times have I told you, but maybe if you told me that you collect this kind of money, I would have a mountain of it and I would willingly give it to you,” Sungyeol shrugged and sipped his coffee. “If you have mountain of this, you should go to a bank and trade it with paper money. You know that you can do that, right?” Dongwoo said as he chuckled. “Come on, hyung, I am not that ignorant. I will still give it to you, because you simply love them and not having any intention to trade them or whatever,” Sungyeol rolled his eyes. “You never know, Sungyeol, I might trade it and went to Versailles first before you,” Dongwoo chuckled, again. “Shut it, hyung, you would never do that and I know you for goddess’s sake,” Sungyeol snorted.

That afternoon was hot as ever, as the sign that summer was coming again and Sungyeol, one of his friends decided to ditch his own house and lie around on Dongwoo’s room. It was one of those Saturdays when Dongwoo would just randomly visited by his friends, whether to rant about something, or asking his advice or just chilling like Sungyeol did. “Dongwoo-ya,”. A voice suddenly came across the door and Sungyeol groaned immediately. “I just literally got here, woman,” Sungyeol said as he got up and opened the door, revealing a girl in a simple black t-shirt and sweatpants leaning on the wall in front of Dongwoo’s room. “I didn’t ask you to leave,” She raised her brow. “I just don’t feel like being here when you both have something to do,” Sungyeol replied before he headed to the stairs. “Have a good Saturday, you people,” Sungyeol shouted before he actually left.

“Why do you friends with him?” The girl said with a genuinely confused tone. “He also keep asking why do I friend with you,” Dongwoo smiled as he closed the door of his room and led her to the kitchen downstairs. “I met you first so I have more right to ask you that kind of question,” She said. “Does it really matter, Eun?” He chuckled as he poured the tea to the mugs. “It is kind of really matter because we have been friends since like, forever?” She snorted. “Not forever and why are you here again?” He asked. “Huh, and I thought you were the kindest person out there but you have been wanting to cross my name from your friend list,” She scoffed. “Come on, you and I both know that you only come to me if you really need something since last summer, no need to sugarcoat or anything,” He shrugged.

“Just because I know what you did back then,” He continued and made her actually glared at him. “Are we really going through this again? You really have to stop reminding me that I told you some of my deepest s, Dongwoo, and I didn’t even want to tell you those things,” She snapped. “And you got to stop treating me like we haven’t know each other since forever,” He said and there went a long pause. “By the way, can you like, ugh, tell my mom that I’ll be with you tonight?” She muttered, breaking the silence. “Absolutely-,” He smiled. “-Not. You promised me the last time was really the last. I am not telling any more lies to your mom, Seo Eunjoo, and I don’t want to be your tools to get away from your hidden relationship that guy,” He snapped after he wiped away his smile. “Who teach you to say those kind of words?” She crossed her arms on her chest. “Woohyun, but he has nothing to do with this and I’m genuinely mad,” He tried, goodness, he tried to look serious but the girl in front of him was just chuckling. “Rage doesn’t match you, Dongwoo,” She grinned.

“I am being serious, Eun,” He sighed. “This is the last time, I promise, I’m telling my parents after this, I think they are starting to become more open-minded lately,” She shrugged. “You told me that every time you asked me for help,”.

 

 

---

 

 

They weren’t lying when they said they have known each other since forever; they had been on each other side since they were still on diapers. Best friends, they called themselves that, and childhood friends, is also another names they were called. He knows every inch of her, her up and downs, her charms and her tiest moments. She knows every thing about him, his smile or even his tears, his undying happiness or his contagious laughter.

It was always both of them against the world, always, even after he started to play more with his friends and she started to hang out more with her group. They will never separate, or at least that’s what they like to think. Sometimes when you have been on someone’s side for too long, you thought they were with you even though they don’t, and that’s what exactly both of them feel. And they love it; they love the fact that they can always count on each other and that someone is there on their side even if they murdered a person.

It was always both of them against everyone, until she started dating, behind her parent’s back, since last summer. He was not surprised about that fact because she was always that kind of rebel type, but what’s made him even surprised is that the fact he was willing to help her to hide her relationship. He thought he was stupid enough when he agreed from the first place, but he never really can’t resist those puppy doe eyes she have. He always been a nice and kind and a positive person, or at least those words were used a lot when people tried to describe him. Sometimes he feel like it was a bad thing to be nice, because he knows every time he said yes to her, he feel like pushing her into a deeper hole of guilt. Sometimes he is tired of being kind.

And sometimes, she feels ty about herself, of her forcing him around to lie to her mother, just because the only man her parents trust is Dongwoo and that’s probably why she have to keep her relationship as a secret. Last summer was chaos, she thought she felt in love for the first time ever, and she thought she felt happy about it. She tried everything but she know deep down inside she won’t be able to erase that disappointed eyes he had when she told him for the first time. She thought, for goodness’s sake, she thought if she felt happy then he should be happy too, happy for her. But she got the hint, alright. Sometimes she feels stupid, that she did not see it earlier.

 

 

That night was nothing special from any other night when she had to sneak out from the neighborhood with Dongwoo and later her boyfriend would pick her up on the usual park. But what’s different that night was that she decided to stay at the park instead of calling Dongwoo to fetch her so she could go home without getting caught. “You should at least tell me if you want to stay longer here,”. She suddenly felt someone scooted next to her. “I’m worri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter