Beautiful Day

Beautiful Pain

Chapter 1

Beautiful Day

 

Dark chocolate orbs started to blink awake as the sun rays hit through the thin fabric of the long-unwashed curtain. The owner of the pair stretched out his limbs as he groaned. Still half-awake, the person dragged his legs down to the side of the futon he slept on and sat up crouched. He yawned quite loudly and scanned his eyes around the room. “It’s morning already. I got to start getting used to this time zone again.” He said to himself.

 

 

Upon arriving back to his home country after two years, Kim Jonghyun still hasn’t got himself anywhere.

 

Back two years ago, the then 21 year old lone man living in Seoul decided to try his luck on the other side of the globe. Having only finished high school with interests in music, Jonghyun has had many challenges especially since he was living in the city by himself and a couple of friends.

 

Some things turned his life into a rollercoaster ride but eventually just like any other rides in an amusement park, they come to an end.

 

After some headaches and heartaches, he decided to live in the city of perspiring dreams, London. When he arrived there, luckily he met some fellow of the same nationality. Kim Jeongwoon, or as he like to call himself, Yesung, took the young man in with him. Yesung owns a small restaurant-slash-bar in the middle of the city where Jonghyun also worked part-time as a singer in Friday nights. Yesung grew fond of him that he even enrolled him to a school of music. Jonghyun was so hyped then.

 

But still having some troubles speaking another language, Jonghyun suffered another. He could barely understand what the professors dictate and often times he had to ask to repeat everything to him. There were some nice people that helped him but of course they can’t always be there for him. So he asked Yesung about learning the language, too, to which the older was more than happy to oblige.

 

Jonghyun spent most of his time studying. He became one of the known students in the college, adored by his professors, some classmates, and even those who only hear him from his classmates. Yet it is true that one cannot please everyone.

 

It all just happened one day. Everyone was supposed to perform as part of the exams. However, Jonghyun became a laughing stack and a fool of himself unknowingly why. It was already too late when he found out that some dudes from the other class who were jealous of him framed his stage. He failed the program and was forced to drop out.

 

 He couldn’t express how much shame and guilt he felt. He was scared to face Yesung. Though, the older understood him when he explained himself. Yet it was too late. As he couldn’t think of any way to repay Yesung, he decided to just go back to Seoul and not bother the latter anymore.

 

And now here he was two weeks back in Seoul yet still can’t get his self out of jetlag.

 

 

 

“I’m hungry.” He grunted and walked to the small fridge.

 

His frown took drastic curving downwards as he saw what was at least left of his food. Sighing dejectedly, Jonghyun took the convenience store rice he bought last night then turned to the cupboard. Gladly though, there was one packet left of ramen.

 

This is how he lives.

 

Breakfast came to an end quickly. “Jinki hyung.” He greeted on the phone once he flopped down on the sofa. He decided to hang out with his friends today since he really doesn’t have anything to do. Literally.

 

“Oh, Jjong?” The other replied.

 

“Hyung, let’s go out today. Are you free?”

 

“Of course. Should I call the guardian?” He joked and was replied a laugh as well.

 

“Yeah, okay. I’ll meet you at the usual café?”

 

“Okay. See ya.” And the line cut off. Jonghyun only has two friends (he likes to believe it so) who he met back in highschool. Jinki was a year older and the other who is named Joonmyun was the same age as him. They often met at a café nearby and from there it’s all up to what their heads tell them to do.

 

Jonghyun had called them the day he arrived but the both were a little too busy to welcome him back. Gladly now they have time. The man stood up and walked to the bathroom. He showered for a good time and dressed to his casual clothing. He grabbed his phone and wallet and he was out.

 

As Jonghyun waited for his bus he scanned his surroundings. “So this is how people who come from abroad feel.” He snickered to himself. He got in the bus and sat at the right side near the aisle. He looked at his wallet and found a dollar bill. “This should do.” He once again snickered to himself. A half hour passed, Jonghyun fell asleep. His jetlag seems to not have gone down yet. He always feels sleepy for some reason. Maybe he should ask Jinki about it. The bus was going through the highway, when he woke up.

 

He glanced at his back and saw a familiar figure. “Kibum?”  He asked not so loud. As if hearing him, the all too familiar man turned his head a bit allowing Jonghyun to see fully his face. His eyes enlarged and he held his breath. He turned back to his front in shock not at all expecting to see ‘Kibum’ right now.

 

 Jonghyun tilted his head with furrowed eyebrows and glanced where Kibum last sat. He again saw Kibum. He closed his eyes and opened it again. Kibum was now in front of him. Jonghyun shrieked quite loudly and was holding his hands up.

 

“Hi.” Kibum greeted softly. So soft Jonghyun was sure only he could hear the other. However, his voice had something in it. It was child-like but not entirely childish. He wasn’t sure how to explain it but it really had something else that as he remembers wasn’t there the last time.

 

Thinking about it, when was the last time they talked? Two years ago? Jonghyun had a blur of memories flash through his eyes. “H-Hi.” Finally, he managed to utter a reply.

 

“How are you doing?” Kibum asked again. His face was slightly leaning close and tilted to the side.

 

“Fine, I guess. You?” He hesitantly asked back.

 

Kibum eye-smiled at him, “I’m great! Where are you going?”

 

“I.. Uhm.. T-To my friend. We’re going to hangout.”

 

“That sounds fun! Can I come too?” Kibum jumped in excitement.

 

Jonghyun’s mind was buzzing. Why is he acting like this? Is he stupid or something?

 

“I don’t really know. It’s supposed to be only us.” He replied.

 

At this, the blonde frowned. “Why do you always leave me alone? I’m bored!”

 

“W-What?” Now Jonghyun was getting scared of the man in front of him.

 

“I know! You should make it up to me! Can you do me a favour?”

 

Jonghyun raised his brow intimidating, “Why would I do that, Kibum?”

 

Upon hearing the name, the latter’s eyes widened inquisitively. “Who’s Kibum?”

 

“What? What are you talking about?! You’re weird.” Jonghyun snarled.

 

“No. You’re weird!” Kibum argued.

 

“What?!”

 

“What what?!”

 

“Kim Kibum!” At this point, they were shouting at each other. The other passengers were looking weirdly at them.

 

“Jonghyun!” Kibum shouted back.

 

Both of them suddenly stopped and stared at each other, silence joined their feud before Kibum broke it with a loud laugh. He laughed as if they were only playing. Jonghyun, on the other hand, was getting irritated with the other. The Kibum he knew from years ago wasn’t like this.

 

From years ago.

 

Right. It was ages ago.

 

Kibum hasn’t stopped laughing and was clutching his stomach. “That was so fun, Jonghyun!”

 

“So you still do know me, huh?” He sighed and slouched down his seat.

 

“What do you mean?” Kibum inquired.

 

“I thought you forgot about me. It’s been two years, right?” The bus arrived at a station and few people got on board.

 

“Why would I forget about you?” Hearing that, Jonghyun flicked his head to look at the blonde now beside him. His eyes were wide and bright – just like how Jonghyun remembers it. Though, his eyes weren’t showing any affection. It was so innocent and… blank.

 

Kibum’s eyes were blank.

 

If Jonghyun didn’t know better, he’d say Kibum doesn’t really recognize him or even really know him. But he still does.

 

“Nothing. I thought you did.” He answered after a while. He turned his head back looking straight ahead. Suddenly, he felt a hand on his arm and saw Kibum leaning to the side searching for his eyes.

 

“About that favour I asked.. would you help me, Jonghyun?” Kibum murmured.

 

“I told you I have some things to do. Can’t you ask anyone else?”

 

“You’re the only one who talked to me.” Jonghyun swiftly looked at the other.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I mean, no one talks to me. I wanted to ask them but nobody listens.” Kibum dropped his head.

 

“That’s nonsense.”

 

“What?”

 

“How could that happen? Everyone adores you.” Jonghyun looked ahead avoiding the other’s eyes. Kibum was always looking straight in his eyes and now he saw him slowly tearing up.

 

“Adore me? No one even looks at me except you.”

 

“Seriously. Why would they do that?”

 

“Jonghyun…” Kibum sounded really sad.

 

Jonghyun tried to force himself to not mind those pair of golden caramel orbs but much to his dismay, he failed.

 

“Alright. Fine.” He said, eyebrows furrowed.

 

“Really?! Oh my, thanks Jonghyun!” Key’s eyes lightened and looked really glad.

 

“So what would I do?” Jonghyun asked sounding a little bit uninterested.

 

“We have to find my boyfriend first.” Kibum replied.

 

“W-what?! Are you even listening to yourself?! No. I’m not going to do that!” Jonghyun choked on nothing suddenly, eyes widening to other’s ridiculousness.

 

“But y-you just promised! You’re unfair!” Caramel orbs resisted a tear from dropping.

 

“Now I’m unfair?! I-I I’m out of words.” Jonghyun was trying to ‘meditate’ himself. Now he can’t transfer the things happening. “And I didn’t promise anything!”

 

“Well, you agreed to it. No returns. Please Jonghyun… I need your help.” Now a tear just dropped.

 

“No way. If it was a different kind of help then I would do it.” Jonghyun replied in his least grumpy tone.

 

“…”

 

Jonghyun, then, got confused from not getting a reply from the latter. He averted his gaze to the station the bus had stopped, some people getting on and some off. The next stop was his.

 

“…”

 

He then, gazed to the seat next to his only to find it long since occupied. Kibum disappeared. He didn’t notice him get off, especially since Kibum was sat next to him by the window… beside him.. beside him. Wasn’t he in front of him a while ago? How did that..

 

He felt shivers ran down his spine. How did Kibum do that? It’s as if he.. he teleported or something. No. that was impossible. Completely ridiculous. He snorted to himself. Maybe Kibum did get off before he even noticed..

 

He should have felt him though. After all, he was sitting next to the aisle, almost blocking the way. How could Kibum possibly get out of the cramped seats? It was pure mystery and Jonghyun’s head started to ache. He decided to just let it go.. for now.

 

After half an hour, the bus had stopped to where Jonghyun was headed. He got up his seat and went to the opened door.

 

As he was walking towards the coffee shop, he felt eyes following him. He didn’t mind it at first but he heard small step-like sounds behind him. He gazed back and saw a smiling Kibum .

 

“Kibum!” He shouted in his almost loud tone skipping a few steps backwards at the shock.

 

Kibum showed up again or more like appeared in a flash, again. And he was smiling brightly with his head slightly tilted. Didn’t he disappear a while ago?!

 

 

 

“Hi!”

 

 


 

 

NICE TO MEET YOU AGAIN! I DECIDED TO POST THE FIRST CHAPTER WHICH WAS HANGING AROUND MY DESKTOP FOR TWO MONTHS ALREADY. THOUGH, IT WILL TAKE TIME TO UPDATE THE NEXT CHAPS BECAUSE I'M CURRENTLY JOINING THIS WRITING CONTEST AND THE DEADLINE IS NEXT YEAR IN JANUARY (yeah, that's still far away but just to be sure I write something really really nice). HOWEVER, MY LIL' SIS WHO IS ACTUALLY THE MAIN AUTHOR OF THIS STORY WILL TAKE HER PART IN WRITING. ^^ THANK YOU, THAT'S ALL! :)

-Evanesce

 

HI!

-Fade