Spare Change

The Importance Of Spare Change
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol had lost his faith in humanity. It’s not that he hated people or didn’t want to interact. It’s just that he’d seen so much bad sh*t happen. Watched as people walked over their own family members without looking back to get what they wanted. His dad had told him that’s just the way it is.

“Life’s not fair Chanyeol. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire,” the man had proclaimed almost proudly.

But the younger Park had always thought that fighting fire with fire could only lead to one thing.

Everyone getting burned.

He sighs as he pulls on his sweat pants. Today was a big day it was his first day as Manager of the Arts and Development Department. He knows his entrance won’t be easy it’s always hard when the boss’s son comes to take over. People dislike change, even if it is good.

He pulls the hoodie over his head and throws on his favorite pair of sneakers. He’s had them since high school, and they are tattered beyond repair, but they feel like home to the man.

The streets are quiet and the crisp early morning air is doing wonders for his nervous heart. He loves running loves the feel of the wind as it whips across his face. He adores the way his heart speeds up, and he can feel the thud in his veins as the blood starts to rush in response. He runs for three miles before heading to the park. The park is one of his childhood haunts, his mother use to bring him here for picnics when he was little. They’d come on days when his dad was going to be late, and the woman didn’t want to stay in the house.

The place looks almost the same, broad and spacious with to this day the greenest grass he has ever seen. He finds the tree his mom liked the best and sat on the curb closest to it, leaning his back against the trunk.

The breeze feels relaxing and comforting, and before he can stop himself, his eyes begin to close. He must have dozed off because when he opens his eyes a warm hand is touching his.

The hand drops change into his hand and closes his palm over the money. At first Chanyeol is annoyed, but that quickly changes to amusement because clearly this stranger has no idea who he is.

The stranger’s hand is soft, and Chanyeol can’t help but admire the firm yet gentle touch. But when the person speaks Chanyeol is shocked that people like this still exist.

“I know it’s not a lot, but the coffee shop across the street has delicious pastries and coffee. This should be enough to cover it,” the man’s voice is not as deep as his, but Chanyeol likes the richness of the sound.

He is about to tell the man that he is not homeless when he looks up and is stricken speechless. The man is beautiful, gorgeous really, long dark lashes that surround deep brown eyes that seem to express every emotion at the same time. The man’s skin is darker than his as well; it reminds Chanyeol of honey and for a moment he ponders what it would taste like.

He smiles at the thought and at that moment he catches the man’s curious gaze and holds.

Beautiful.

Chanyeol has to stop himself from reaching out to touch, the man’s skin looked so inviting.

When Chanyeol finally makes up his mind to use his words the man’s phone vibrates and steals his thunder.

“Hello,” the man answers as he turns and bows to Chanyeol, “, that’s today? Damn it. I’ll be there soon, I am only about ten minutes away.”

With those words, the man turns and leaves.

Chanyeol sits stunned for a moment.

“You big idiot why didn’t you say something?” he berets himself out loud. “It’s not every day a hot stranger falls into your lap.” Chanyeol is smiling as he quietly yells at himself.

As he walks back to his apartment the man’s dark questioning eyes fill every corner of his brain, it dawns on his that maybe the world was not as f**ked up as he thought. Maybe they are some good people still left, people willing to give their spare change to a stranger.

The run home was filled not with thoughts about the work day but with dark eyes, long lashes, and honey colored skin.

And yeah he’s an idiot for not even getting a name.

As he showers and gets ready for the grand entrance, his mind is still consumed with the man only now it is not about his looks, now it is about what the man had done. 

Chanyeol won’t lie his heart flutters a little when he realizes that the “beautiful stranger” (Chanyeol’s name for him), took the time to help, took an interest in a stranger. The man didn’t have to, but he did. He sends a silent prayer heavenwards asking for one more opportunity to reconnect.

Chanyeol hates pomp and grandeur which is why he purposely arrived late. People bowing as he walked in was not his style; it made him feel uncomfortable. He was born into this business, but that did not make him unique, just lucky. He is just as human as everyone else. He steels himself for the look of disapproval he knows his father will be blessing him with because of his tardiness.

The last time he had been here was three years ago, just before he left for school aboard. His dad had been so proud, his son going to Harvard Business; he smiles fondly at the memory. It may not have been Chanyeol’s first choice, he wanted to major in music, but he loves this Company and wants to be able to preserve what his father had built.

He makes his way to the meeting room and slips through the doors. He tries to be subtle, but that’s difficult when you’re over six feet tall in a country where the average male height is 5”8. He stands out to say the least. As he enters the room Chanyeol can feel the stares, he looks up expecting to see his father at the podium, but almost trips over his feet when his eyes landed on the speaker.

There is a God! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Chanyeol almost screams,”Yes!” But he manages to control his excitement because standing in front of him giving a presentation about God knows what is the “beautiful stranger” from this morning.

The man sputters and comes to a crashing halt when their eyes meet. He sees recognition flicker across the man’s features, then the eyes widen, but it is the flush of red that has Chanyeol’s heart rate rising exponentially. It’s equally as adorable as when it happened earlier in the morning.

So cute.

Chanyeol knows he is smirking he can’t help it. The man, Jongin, Chanyeol likes his name, is trying with all his might not to look in Chanyeol’s direction. So he makes a conservative effort to stare directly at the blushing man. Every time the man slips and their eyes meet, the r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter