Loose Change

The Importance Of Spare Change
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

***Hey guys just a note to let you know this story is currently being edited.***

 

As he sits through the meeting Jongin wonders if his prayer to melt through the ground and disappear will be answered. The prayer grows more desperate each time the he catches the man's eye and sees the glint of held back laughter coloring his new boss's orbs.

 

Had Jongin known being a good Samaritan would paint him into this very awkward corner, he would never have done it.

He sighs as he studies the man’s face.

 

How on earth did I ever mistake him for a homeless person?

 

He sighs again.

 

Cause I am me, that’s how.

 

He looks down at his paper; he needs to be taking notes. He has to brief his department on the meeting, but he has been too distracted by the man to hear any of the words coming out of his mouth. He cringes as he remembers the events of the morning.

 

 

The day had started out like any other. Jongin had woken up, gone for his morning run, and now he is happily sitting in “his” window seat at his favorite coffee shop watching Minseok as he slowly pours the hot water. Hand dripped coffee is an art form, and so is Minseok. Jongin doesn’t drink the stuff, but the tea here is as fantastic as the visuals.

 

Okay, so maybe the tea wasn’t the real draw. Maybe he had a slight crush on the cute barista. He’d never make a move or anything. The man is taken, but looking can’t hurt, right?

As he drinks, he quickly glances over the paperwork for the upcoming proposal. The new intern has great insight; he only had to make a few changes to the document. He gulps down his last sip and stretches lazily before standing.

 

“See you tomorrow Minseok-sshi,” he says as he walks to the counter.

Being polite also can’t hurt.

 

The man smiles. “Did you like it? I added a hint of orange extract. Plain tea is boring Jongin.”

 

“Oh, I thought it tasted a little different. It was delicious. Thanks, hyung,” he waves as he leaves the shop.

 

He wishes he were better at flirting because he wants to flirt with Minseok. Although it’s probably for the best that he doesn’t as the man’s boyfriend might not appreciate it.

 

He pushes the cute barista to the back of his mind in favor of enjoying the gorgeous day outside. The sun is shining, and the soft breeze of spring makes everything feel fresher and more alive. He inhales deeply and hopes the work day goes by quickly. He wants to enjoy some of this sunshine before winter hits.

 

As he walks, lost in thought, he looks up and sees a man sitting on the curb, back leaned against a tree. The park is mostly deserted this early in the morning save for people walking their dogs and the homeless who will sometimes come here to rest for a moment, just like this man.

 

The man’s wearing a gray hoodie, black sweats, and tattered sneakers. Jongin feels a pang in his chest as he wonders if the man has eaten. He wishes he had bought a pastry or something from Minseok’s shop; he feels around his pocket remembering the spare change from the purchase of his tea.

 

Jongin walks over to the man and bends down, placing the loose coins in the man’s hand.

 

“I know it’s not a lot, but the coffee shop across the street has delicious pastries and coffee. This should be enough to cover it,” Jongin says as he closes the man’s palm over the loose change.

 

He can’t help but marvel at how strong and warm the man’s hand is.

Seriously, Jongin, you need to get laid or watch or something. First Minseok and now a homeless guy.

 

He berates himself for his stray thought, but the thought comes right back when he looks up into large curious eyes and a mouth set firmly in a smirk?

The man is, well, gorgeous.

 

Jongin had expected to see the face of an elderly man looking back at him, but instead he sees long lashes, an angled jaw, and possibly the most flawless skin he has ever seen on a human, homeless or otherwise. Jongin almost falls on his when the man’s intense stare does not falter. The buzzing of his phone saves him from doing something stupid, something like touching a hot homeless man inappropriately in public.

 

Yup, laid. Stat.

 

“Hello,” he answers as he bows to the man whose smiles in return, and Jongin will forever deny that he almost tripped over his own feet when the man smiled.

“, that’s today? Damn it. I’ll be there soon, I am only about ten minutes away,” Jongin breaks into a jog after hanging up.

 

He had forgotten that today is the day the President of the company will be introducing his son as the new head of the Arts and Development Department; today is the day he was supposed to be there early. Jongin silently curses the hot homeless man for distracting him. He would have been at work already had the man’s stare not been so mesmerizing. And the smirk.

 

What was with the smirk?

 

It’s one more thing Jongin decides to put out of his mind.

The office is abuzz with activity by the time he gets in. He assists his boss in getting the department prepared for the man’s arrival in two hours.

 

“Did you look over the proposal?” Kyungsoo asks.

 

“Yeah, Sehun seems to be on top of things. I only had to make a few simple corrections. It should be ready for the meeting today. I sent Hani to make copies for all the attendees,” Jongin replies.

 

“Good,” Kyungsoo nods his head. “So, what do you think he’ll be like?”

To be honest Jongin hasn’t given the man’s arrival much thought. He shrugs his shoulders. “I’ll guess he’ll be like every other heir to the throne,” Jongin answers flippantly, and Kyungsoo laughs.

 

“Jongin, you know not every wealthy person in the world is like Kim Namjoon?” Kyungsoo offers wisely, but Jongin doesn’t accept it.

 

“If you say so,” he answers with another shrug, and they continue their work in silence.

 

They file into the conference room, waiting for the meeting to start. Everyone stands as the company President makes his way in; he beckons for them to be seated with a wave of his hands.

 

The elder Park starts the meeting with the usual formalities. Jongin’s called to the front to go over the proposal for their new designs.

 

“As you can see the latest concepts offer both functionality and aesthetic beau—” Jongin swallows the rest of the sentence in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter