pieces of perfect

Is It Wrong?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As the week continued there was a sudden change in the weather. The peaceful orange sunsets that looked like they belonged to a painting were quickly replaced with cloudy skies and early nightfall.

 

There was a sudden change not only in the weather, but in Mingyu too.

 

At two in the morning he lay wide awake in bed, his arm draped over his forehead. A cold sweat coated his body. He couldn’t forget the feeling that rushed through his body when he was around Wonwoo. That feeling of numbness was so different. It was the only thing that made him feel something else besides sheer emptiness. It made blood flow through his body and shut up those god damn voices.

 

But Mingyu knew being “different” was not something his parents wanted. Being different gave others opportunities to find faults. There was no room for faults when the Kim family was obviously nothing less of perfection.

 

Letting out a stressed sigh of frustration, Mingyu roughly to his side and squeezed his sore eyes shut, attempting to force sleep to overcome him.

 

Mingyu had always tried to live without regrets but lately it's become harder and harder to go on like that. He thinks, just maybe if he never went to that party or even simply waved at that classmate, he would have never met Wonwoo. Wonwoo was something new and scary, like that weird dessert flavored gum you see at the supermarket but never really try because it has potential to be absolutely disgusting.   

 

Those whispers late at night told Mingyu that everything was going to be okay. Everything seemed really great right now. Wonwoo was nowhere to be seen, Mingyu was doing great in all his classes, and his parents seemed to be delighted with his outstanding behavior. This was how everything was supposed to be. Mingyu’s life seemed to be piecing itself back together.

 

The trees started to wither and the grass started to die and yellow as November began. Everyone at school was starting to ignore Mingyu’s little scandal because everyone knew they couldn’t forget. Mingyu was relieved that he could at least have that. It was better than nothing.

 

In just a few more days Mingyu’s best friend, Seungcheol would be returning to school after some random vacation his parents took him on. In all honestly Mingyu had wondered how his life would be different at this moment if Seungcheol had never gone on some “relaxing beach getaway” somewhere in the Bahamas and had gone back to school normally like everyone else after not some privileged rich kid who wouldn’t be scolded for this. Not to be crude, but Mingyu always disliked how his friend overused his privileges. Mingyu’s parents would never allow that type of behavior for sure. He didn’t want to be disrespectful towards Seungcheol though, because he was a great friend he could always rely on. Some nights he stays awake just thinking, what if Seungcheol had been there.

 

But deep down Mingyu was always a little jealous of Seungcheol’s family. Everyone knows they couldn’t care less what their son did at the end of the day. He thought about things like this a lot.

 

It would be a lie if Mingyu said he never thought of Wonwoo too. Mingyu decided that maybe it was better if he lied.

 

His sophomore year really came to a start after that annoying first month of school where everyone got used to the feeling of having new teachers and classmates came to an end and chilly November days greeted everyone head first. Mingyu was finally able to get back onto the court. The basketball team held tryouts for new freshman and practice started for existing members. Mingyu was grateful that he was finally settled and everything was turning back to normal.

 

Basketball was like second nature to Mingyu. His calloused hands perfectly remember the rough texture of the ball and the somehow soothing sound of sneakers squeaking against the waxy gymnasium floor felt like the most stable thing in his life at this point. So far, practice is going great and the two new freshman on the team actually don’t for the first time in a while. Mingyu still can’t sleep at night, though.

 

Basketball was actually something he could control his performance in and make sure he was the absolute best. In the few hours a game actually only is that really feels like a few minutes, Mingyu completely forgets about everything except doing better than his best. There are always people screaming for the team, for Mingyu and nothing feels better than the full bliss of looking great. At the end of the day, his biggest aspiration is for everyone to be able to recall his name and how remarkable he was. He needs to be remembered as that high school legend like his parents have engraved in his mind since, well, since he could remember anything.

 

He has always just accepted this, no time to question, no time to back out.

 

One day after practice, the coach approaches the team in the locker room and inform

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter