New and Different Beginning

Our Love Story

1 month has passed by

Teacher: Before anything else, I have a great news! We have a new student. She is from America, so please help her. Also, be kind to her. Her name is Chan Min Yeong. Chan Min Yeong, please come into the classroom.

Min Yeong enters the classroom. She stands in front of the class. She introduces herself.

Min Yeong: Hello. My name is Chan Min Yeong! Please take care of me!

Teacher: Are there any empty seats?

Taehyeong slouches and points to the seat next to him.

Taehyeong: This is empty.

Teacher: Please sit there, Miss Chan Min Yeong. 

Min Yeong walks to the back of the room and sits down.

Teacher: Alright! Let’s now get started. Take out your textbook and answer the questions on pages 60-61. After that, we will go over the answers

Lunch Time

Min Yeong eating by herself. Min Hee, Hye Ri, and Yuri all sits down with Min Yeong. Min Yeong looks at them. They all smile at Min Yeong. Min Yeong didn’t know if she should smile back or not, so she just quietly said, “Hello…”

Min Hee: Don’t be afraid. I’m Hwang Min Hee.

Hye Ri: I’m Lee Hye Ri. Nice to meet you.

Yuri: I’m Jung Yuri. Let’s be friends.

Min Yeong: Ahh…

 

Seonu: Ya~ Look at what those chicks are doing to the new student?

The boys looked over at the girls.

Tae Hyeong: Totally scaring her off with those creepy smiles and greetings.

The boys laughed.

Ju Hyeok: Ya, Se Chan. Go hit on her. If you can get her with your ugly looks, I will give you $100.

Se Chan: Shut up! How about I set you and Yejin up for a date.

Ju Hyeok covers Se Chan’s mouth.

Ju Hyeok: I told you to keep your mouth shut didn’t I?

Seonu: What? You like Yejin??

Tae Hyeong: Isn’t obvious?

Ju Hyeok: Whatt? You guys know that I like her?

Se Chan: Isn’t it obvious?

Ju Hyeok: Obvious for you only because I told you, you Bastard!

Tae Hyeong: Either way, we all know. Your actions are showing it.

Seonu: But then, when are you going to confess?

Ju Hyeok: Confess?? I can’t…

Se Chan: As expected, you have no balls. Nst. Nst.

Ju Hyeok: Stop acting so cocky, you jerk. You couldn’t even get a girl from all of the blind dates you have been to.

Se Chan: Ya, ya, ya! That’s different because I dumped all of them.

Tae Hyeong: If they dump you, then just say it. We all know it.  

 

Hye Ri: Ah, Min Yeong-ah. Why did your family move to Korea?

Min Yeong: Ohh,…my grandma wanted to move back to Korea, so that’s why.

Hye Ri: Ahh, really? Do you feel comfortable here?

Min Yeong: It’s okay. Haha….I don’t like it as much, but I will try to get used to it.

Min Hee: You don’t have to worry. You have us. We will help you. (smiles)

Min Yeong: Thank you. (softly smiles)

Yuri sees that Min Yeong’s not eating much. Instead, she keeps on picking on the food.

Yuri: What’s wrong? Do you not like Korean food?

Min Yeong: No,…it’s just that I don’t eat it often. So, I’m not really used to the taste.

Yuri: Ah,…I see.

 

Min Yeong comes home with her parents unpacking.

Mom: Oh, Min Yeong-Ah. You’re back? How was it? Do you like it?

Min Yeong: It’s not too bad, but I just want to go back to America.

Dad: The longer you live here, the better it’ll get.

Min Yeong: Can you really promise that we’ll only live here for a year?

Dad: (sighs) I don’t know, yet.

Mom: Min Yeong-Ah, are you hungry?

Min Yeong looks over at the kitchen table. She didn’t see any that looked appetizing. Min Yeong nods her ‘no’. “No, I’m fine. I ate a little at school.”

Min Yeong goes into her bedroom and turns on her laptop. She logs into her e-mail and replies back to a friend.

“Hello, Frienddd~ Today was my first day in Korea. I don’t know if I like it, but I will try to get used to it. How are you today? Do you need help today?”

After replying to the message, she opens her book bag and takes out her homework and stuff to work on. After 10 minutes, she got another e-mail from her friend.

“Hello, my good friend. Your first day? Woow. That’s interesting. By the way, do you have a Kakao? I just thought it would be easier for us to communicate.”

She replies, “Kakao? I don’t have one, but I will create one. Hold on for a bit.”

He replies, “My ID is ATH01212. I will wait for it ^^”

She created a Kakao and adds her friend.

“What are you doing? ^^”, she asks

“Trying to do my English homework.”

“Do you need help?”

“It’s okay. Just for today only. You’ve taught me a lot. Rest a bit. ^^”

“By the way, I don’t think we have ever asked each other this. But, how old are you?”

“Ahh, I’m 18. You?”

“I’m 17.”

“Ahh. Then you’re younger than me. When’s your birthday?”

“91.01.01 When’s your birthday? ^.^”

“90.12.12 Our birthdays are pretty similar hehe ^^”

“I will make sure to remember your birthday~! Remember mine, too.”

“Don’t worry. I won’t forget it. ^^~”

She gets her calendar and grabs a pen. She flips through the pages and writes down “My Special Friend’s Birthday~^^” on December 12th.

 

Two Weeks Passed By

On Min Yeong’s way to school, she receives a text message from her friend saying, “What are you doing?”

She replies, “Walking to school. You?”

“Oh, me, too. ^^ Where?”

Min Yeong takes a picture and sends it.

“Oh! How funny~ I’m also at the same place! ^^”

“Really?! Should we meet up? ^.^”

“Meet up? Really?”

“Really~! Let’s meet. Hehe. ^^”

“Where?”

“Uhm, the bridge?”

“Okay! Will meet you there in 3 seconds.”

“I’m at the bridge. Where are you?”

“What are you wearing?”

“School uniform with a white backpack. You?”

“There’s too many girls with uniforms and white backpacks. I’m the most good looking one. Haha.”

“Tch. What kind of description was that? Haha.”

“I’m the one standing still looking good.”

“There’s too many people standing.”

“Just look for me. I’m very handsome. ^_^”

“And,…what if you’re not? Haha.”

“I promise. I really am handsome. Hehe ^^”

“Where exactly are you at?”

“I’m near the bench next to the big lamp.”

“I can’t see. Ah, it’s almost time for school. Let’s meet another time. Sorry~ ^^ Be good at school.”

Min Yeong turns off her phone and runs to school.

 

Teacher Kim comes into the classroom and takes role. Every student was present.

Teacher: Okay! First, I’m going to get started with a new assignment that I will be assigning. This project will count 25% of your grade, so make sure to do well on it. You will be working with a partner. However, I have already chosen your partner, so don’t spend any useless time looking at your friend.

Students: Aaahh~~~

Student: Please let us choose our partners~~

Teacher: Be quiet please. I’ve already picked your partner. This project will have to do with you and your partner acting and filming. This project is based on everything we learned about English up until now. So, use everything that you know about English in this project.

Student: We have to act and speak English in our video??

Teacher: Yes, that’s right. This’ll be a fun activity.

The students start complaining and making noises.

Teacher: Okayy, be quiet please.

Students quiet down.

Teacher: First group will be: Min Yeong and Taehyeong.

Min Yeong and Tae Hyeong looks at each other.

Teacher: Tae Hyeong, don’t feel that I’m putting you down or anything. You need help, so working with a native English speaker will help you. That’s why I’m putting you two together.

Tae Hyeong kicks Min Yeong’s chair. Min Yeong looks at Tae Hyeong.

Tae Hyeong: Do your best to help me, Quiet Chick.

She mumbles, “What the…Quiet Chick???” 

Teacher Kim finishes calling out the group names. He asks for the students to get with their partner and start working on their project.

Tae Hyeong puts his head down facing towards Min Yeong. He points to her and directs for her to sit next to him.

Min Yeong: What the heck is he doing? (Thinking to herself)

She takes out a piece of paper and pen and moves to sit next to Tae Hyeong.

Min Yeong: So,…what do you have in mind? (slowly asking)

Tae Hyeong didn’t do anything nor say anything. Instead he just shrugs his shoulder.

Min Yeong: Useless crap! Nst.

Tae Hyeong: Whaat???! Useless crap?!

Min Yeong: Then get up and help me.

Tae Hyeong: How about in the film, I’m the villain and you’re the protagonist. After that, the villain wins. So you, diee~ (Does the “you die”)

Min Yeong: Are you crazy?! You want to kill me in the end?

Tae Hyeong: Of course. Wouldn’t it be interesting and funny? Creativity score…100% Hahaha.

Min Yeong: We’re filming a school project, not an action-thriller movie! Do you really think that you can do that film using basic English that you have learned from this course?!

Tae Hyeong keeps quiet and puts his head back down.  

Min Yeong: So immature and stupid. Ughh~

 

Seonu: So, what do you have in mind?

He turns to look at her, while Hye Ri avoids eye contact by keeping her face straight and looking down.

Hye Ri: Ahh…I don’t know. What do you have in mind?

Seonu: Mmm,…romance?

He raises his brow. She quickly reacts.

Hye Ri: Romance?!

Seonu: Haha. Whoa, whoa. Chill~ I was just kidding.

Hye Ri: How about…I’m your teacher and you’re my student?

Seonu: Pftt. What the?

Hye Ri: What? You don’t like that?

Seonu: That’s so boring. You’re not Teacher Kim, so come up with something more creative.

 

Yuri: Soo,…what do you like?

Se Chan: I like playing the piano. You?

Yuri: Really??!!! (Smiling really big)

Se Chan: Haha…yeahh…

Yuri: Great! I like playing the guitar. Let’s do that we met at a musical play, and then we later become best friends! Sound good, right?

Se Chan: How are we going to act like we’re at a musical play?

Yuri: Aigghh. That’s right. Mmm,….

Se Chan: It’s okay. That was a stupid storyline either way.

Yuri: Stupid?! Nst. Then why don’t you come up with something better.

Se Chan: Mmm, how about…you’re homeless, but you play good music. Then, I pick you up from the road. That’s how we become good friends.

Yuri: HOMELESS???!!! Yaaa!!!

The whole class turns to look at Yuri. Yuri notices that the whole class is looking at her.

Yuri: Ahaha….it’s nothing…Please continue to work.

She awkwardly smiles at the class. The class gets back to doing what they were doing.

Yuri: No! We’re not going to do that. If we’re going to do that, how about you’re the homeless person!

Se Chan: No! You look like a homeless.

Yuri: What?! You look like a homeless who eats trash every single day.

Se Chan: You know so well about homeless people. Do you perhaps eat trash? Ohh. (snaps his fingers) That’s why you look like that.

Yuri scoffs. She bites her bottom lip and takes a deep breath. “Are you that good looking yourself? You look like a piece of crap!”

Se Chan: Have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror?

Yuri: (Gasps) You-are-so-rude!!!

 

Ju Hyeok sitting there touching his phone, while Min Hee patiently sits there and wait.

Min Hee: Are you done?...

Ju Hyeok looking at phone. “Ah, almost done. Let me play this round.”

Min Hee takes a deep breath and rolls her eyes. “You’ve been saying for the last 10 minute.”

Ju Hyeok pauses the game. He leans in toward her. “Does it look like I care about this assignment?”

Min Hee: No…

Ju Hyeok: Therefore, do this project by yourself.

Min Hee gives an annoyed look and mouths, “What the heck?!”

Ju Hyeok: If you do well, then I will also do well.

Min Hee: Stop playing around and think of something.

Ju Hyeok: Ah! I know! How about you’re that extremely smart tutor?

Min Hee: Why would I even want to tutor you?! Tch.

Ju Hyeok: Because you want to help.

Min Hee: Who would want to help you. Ugh.

Ju Hyeok goes back to play his phone. Min Hee covers his phone screen with her hand. He moves her hand.

Ju Hyeok: Stop! That’s really annoying! Nst~

Min Hee: Do you think I care? We need to do our project.

Ju Hyeok: Do it yourself. You care a lot.

 

After school ended, the girls walked together.

Min Hee: Aiyoo~! That Ju Hyeok Crap is so annoying! Just wanted to smash his phone into pieces!! Agggh!

Min Yeong: Ugh. I haven’t even been here for that long, and I’m already disliking Tae Hyeong. That lazy, useless guy! I’m going to kill him before he can kill me~ Ugh!

Yuri: Oh-hoo~ You sure have a temper. Haha. (sighs) Talking about that, that Se Chan Bastard dares to tell me to act like a homeless person!! Auggh! I’m going to make him into a homeless person before he knows!

Min Hee: He told you to act as a homeless person? Pft. He already looks like trash himself.

Yuri: Exactly! He should be the homeless person.

Min Yeong: Hye Ri-ah, are you okay with Seonu?

Hye Ri clears . She stayed quiet for a moment.

Hye Ri: Ohh,…I’m okay…but, he said something strange.

Yuri: Like, what?

Hye Ri: Ro-ro-…ughh…

Min Hee: Ro what?

Yuri: Romance!

The girls looked at Hye Ri. “ROMANCE???!!!!”

Yuri: Are you really going to do it?!

Min Hee: Sooo, do you two have to kiss??!

Yuri smacks Min Hee on the head.

Yuri: Are you stupid!? Do you think that Teacher Kim wants to see that? Nst. Nst. Aiyo~ You’re just smart in school, but you really do lack common sense. Nst. Nst.

Hye Ri: We’re still brainstorming. Don’t worry. He was just kidding.

 

Ju Hyeok: Aiyoo~ That Min Hee bird head! I thought of a good plot, but she keeps on saying that she doesn’t want to do it.

Seonu: What is the plot?

Ju Hyeok: She’s my tutor.

Seonu: A tutor that you fall in love with?

The boys laughed.

Ju Hyeok: Don’t laugh. She’s not even my type. That’s why I made her my tutor.

Tae Hyeong: You guys know that new girl?

Se Chan: What about her?

Tae Hyeong: It’s so embarrassing to be with her. She’s going to correct my English so much that my esteem is going to decrease each day.

Seonu: At least you’ll improve and don’t have to embarrass yourself in the future.

Se Chan: What are you guys planning?

Tae Hyeong: I’m planning to kill Min Yeong in the film.

Boys: KILL??!

Tae Hyeong: Yes. In the end, the villain wins.

Ju Hyeok: That’s a really good plot. I can already see it coming.

Tae Hyeong: That’s right!

Seonu: Don’t be like that. You may even get in trouble from the school.

Tae Hyeong: It’ll be okay. Don’t worry. What’s your storyline, Seonu?

Seonu: Huh? Me? Ahhh. Thinking to fall in lo—I mean, I’m going to be Hye Ri’s student. She’s my teacher.

Se Chan: Isn’t that kind of lame??

Seonu: Th-that’s what I was saying! She wouldn’t listen. She kept on insisting on this stupid plot.

Ju Hyeok: But then, Se Chan-ah, what’s your story going to be about?

Se Chan: Ah, mine? Haha. It’s going to be awesome! That Ugly Face is going to be a homeless musician.

The boys laughed. Hahahah.

Tae Hyeong: Then, what’s going to happen?

Se Chan: What else? I’m going to pick her up from the road, and we become good friends. Hahah. Isn’t that great?

 

Min Yeong in her bedroom lying on her bed.

She texts, “My friendd~~ Today, there was an annoying person in my class. I just feel like ripping him into pieces!”

Her friend replies, “Aiyo!~ Why is it that we’re so similar in some ways? Haha. I also had an annoying chick in my class. Just feel like beating her up. BBAK BBAK!!”

“Ehhh, isn’t beating up too much? Ahah.”

“Just kidding. I’m not that evil. But if I see her again, I’m definitely going to make it hard on her.”

“Be nice. I’m sure she’s a nice, sweet person. ^^”