First Picture: Finding

You, Who Are Like Cherry Blossoms

I like pretty colors.

 

It doesn’t matter whether it’s spring or winter; there are always sceneries that fascinate me. The melting snow in spring reveals a pale green that’s seeking the long-awaited warmth, complementing the dots of shy colors borne by fresh flowers. It gives hope to life, but also engulfs us of a galvanic energy that pushes us to look forward to the future. The impassioned dynamics in summer supplemented with the sensuous heat bring forth the liveliness of nature. We learn to tame the fire within us and embrace it instead of avoiding it cowardly. Hues of the warmest colors adorn the matured lands as they expose their most sincere self. Just like how fall exhibits the richest gradient of colors, showing our truest feelings is something that people do when the bonds have grown stronger. When it’s time to bid goodbye, a white blanket is spread upon the dozing earth as if it was being protected from the harsher times. The cold makes us vulnerable, driving our most fragile and despicable side to a corner as we yearn for comfort.

 

Spring is the marker of a new start as I go on a treasure hunt for the first picture in my emptied memory card. There are good and bad catches, but this year, it was without a doubt the best.   

 


 

I wonder why people dislike the cold.

 

Lost once again in my thoughts, I take a deep breath and softly exhale a puff of warmth. I watch in awe the hot air etching and dancing gracefully along the icy breeze as it slowly fades away. I take a few steps forward, tarnishing the pureness of the layer of snow that has covered the dormant town. Every time that winter arrives in a gush of chilly wind, time seems to pass by slower as if our surroundings were now part of a frozen kingdom. I like the monochrome setting that this season creates, mischievously contrasting with the bright or pastel colors that we have gotten so cozy with. Although I can’t deny my wonderment towards the cheeky mix of hues during the other times of the year, I also enjoy simplicity. It makes my mind at ease, letting my eyes take a break from the palette in the hand of a skilled artist that’s Mother Nature.

 

I count my steps as I wander forward with a forgotten purpose.

 

One.

 

A few snowflakes have become hostages on my leather boots.

 

Two.

 

Becoming prey to the warmth. Melting as they meet their fate…, I narrate in my head.

 

Three–

 

I turn around, mentally visualizing the serene setting that’ll be captured in my camera. An uncalled for surprise awaits me as I feel a stinging pain on my left cheek. My eyes widen due to the shock, forcefully being seized back to reality.

 

“What was that for?” I roar towards my assailant.

 

“Jaeseop, I’m so sorry!” A young man apologize while I get back to my senses.

 

My anger was toned down as I recognized the familiar face.

 

“E-Eli? What are you doing here?” I ask in dismay, but nonetheless confused. “But, what was that punch for?”

 

“I wonder…” He whispers, scratching the back of his head. “I wanted to give you a manly hug, but you turned around and it surprised me. That.” He pointed my cheek. “Was a reflex. Sorry.”

 

“This is the first time that I’ve heard of such a reflex…”

 

“Would you have liked an accidental kiss?” He playfully asks me.

 

“…” I cough and straighten my back. “Let’s leave it at that.”

 

Seemingly celebrating his small victory, I shake my head in defeat before resuming my walk. Noticing my leave, Eli jogs to my side, disturbing the cotton candy-like snow that has rested on the frozen ground.

 

“Where are you going?” My friend inquires while walking beside me.

 

“Home.” I answer calmly while whipping away the remains of snowflakes on my camera before carefully tucking it in my bag.

 

“Seriously?” Eli exclaims, letting out a sigh as he looked at me. “Have I told you before that your social life is nearly non-existent?”

 

“Yes and…” I make a hand gesture as a way to stop him from cutting me off. “No, I’m not interested in taking part in any of your ‘friendly’ gatherings.”

 

Surprisingly, my ever-so talkative friend remains silent upon hearing my words. He follows my pace without complaints, slightly raising his head as he stuffs his hands in his parka’s warm pockets. He rises his head towards the cloudless sky, letting out soft puffs of feverish air. One can imagine him contemplating something beyond the dark canopy, reaching out his hands for the concealed, yet shimmering so eerily stars. I lightly shake my head as I chuckle at myself for visualizing once again reality through a viewfinder. Maybe I’m pathetic after all, I wonder in a light-hearted tone. After a short distance, I decide to disrupt the silence.

 

“The deadline for the inter-university photography contest is tomorrow, but I still don’t know what to submit.” I bring up awkwardly as I let out a nervous laugh.

 

“I know.” The other male says, blowing a few stray snowflakes gently.

 

“Maybe I should give up this time…” I continue – mainly directed towards me – before being taken aback by a firm grip on both my shoulders.

 

“You shouldn’t say that!” Eli shouts as he vigorously shake me back to my senses. “How many times have you said that in past already? I know you better than anyone else! You always find your inspiration late, but when you do, your photos are praised every time!” He attempts to cheer me up, flashing me a goofy smile. “You still have all night, right? Then, let’s go to a coffee shop first to reorganize your ideas and refresh your mind!”

 

“What–“

 

“Alright, alright? Fine, let’s go!” He concluded merrily and forcefully pushed me to follow his steps.

 

I could barely keep up with words, but then again, it’s always been this way between us. Soon, I realize in astonishment that the streets at night grant us an addicting feeling of warmth as lively voices and mellow laughs dissipate the cold. Artificial lights from the stores that line up along the sidewalk have become part of a playground for the white snow that has piled up, glistening hues of pastel colors that complements the surroundings eerily. Young conifers have been planted in the chilled soil, festive decorations adorning its sturdy branches. As we make our way through the masses of people, a wintry breeze waft the smell of freshly baked pastries tangled with ground coffee beans to my nose, teasing me with the bittersweet aroma.

 

“Oh right, what’s the theme this time? Maybe I can shoot you some ideas while we’re at it!” Eli cheerfully suggest as he goes to open the coffee shop’s see-through door.

 

“The theme this time is one word: first.” I answer, grasping the handle as he steps in first.

 

“It sure sounds vague… I understand your lack of inspiration now.” He says while letting a male customer walk past him. “I would be in a pinch as well–Jaeseop?” He abruptly stops talking as he notices my absence behind him.

 

The bells at the entrance gently tinkle, echoing a crystalline sound that entraps me in another dimension. Before me stands a young man around my height. His pinkish lips are slightly parted away, mouthing common words out of politeness that I can’t seem to hear. Maroon eyes stares at me with a slight hint of confusion as he’s awaiting a response from me. A sweet whiff of cocoa seems to be entangled in his golden locks, casting a bewitching spell on me as this scent is tenderly memorized in my mind.

 

My heart flutters.    

 

There it is, my inspiration. 

 


A/N: Hi everyone~ I hope you that you're all enjoying your holidays to the fullest! I apologize for not updating. I didn't expect my classes to be that time-consuming OTL Hopefully, this chapter won't disappoint you >.< Thank you! Also, see you in 2016~