Chapter 7

Severed

Ahn Hun Sang found himself glimpsing at a really murderous inspector after being called back to the station for the second time in hours. He looked nervously at her as he rubbed his hands together. Just when he thought he could get some sleep before going for a photo shoot, he was interrupted by police officers again, this time notifying that he was under arrest for a murder case.

The silence in the room was deafening and he could feel the tension building up in the person sitting across him.

“What happened to your sweater and sweatpants?” That was the first question and it definitely threw him off. Moonbyul noted his expression changing from feigned nonchalance to bewilderment.

“What do you mean ‘what happened’? I changed it!” He could not understand her obsession with his clothes.

“Because you got blood on them?” Her voice was low and sounded like a volcano rumbling. The gaze fixed upon him was piercing as if trying to get into his head.

He pinched the tip of his nose and sighed dramatically, “No, I have the habit of changing out of the clothes that I’ve worn out of the house. Do you want me to bring my sweater and sweatpants over?”

Moonbyul smiled, and shook her head. “There’s no need to. My officers will be bringing them in later.”

Ahn Hun Sang glowered at her in disbelief. “You did what?”

A picture in a clear folder was thrown at him. He saw Solar on it, and closely behind her but out of focus, the inspector. He had no idea why she was showing him this picture. Moonbyul shifted her her gaze to the picture momentarily, as if to tell him to take a closer look.

“What?” He shrugged.

“This was taken in Madrid.” It was not a question because he knew it was the truth. The picture was taken in Madrid, he recognised it was, and of course the date, but he was not the photographer.

He nodded and then shook his head. “I didn’t take this.”

The inspector looked like she was about to slap him. She ran her fingers through her slightly messy hair and sighed, “I don’t have time for games, Mr Ahn.”

Ahn Hun Sang threw his hands in the air and groaned really loudly. Why did he do exactly to get into this situation? “Well, I don’t have time for this. I’m telling you I’m not the one who took this photo. I’m a photographer, I know which photos I’ve taken and which photo I’ve not.”

Moonbyul studied his expression. He was clearly annoyed and confused. She pursed her lips and tapped her index finger against the table. “Then who?”

He widened his eyes at her like she just asked the dumbest question ever and slumped against the chair. He slapped his hand against his face and shouted, “Oh my god. I don’t know? There are so many photographers out there! But I’m not the one. You’re wasting your time on me when the actual killer is out there, and she is in danger!”

He was pointing his finger somewhere but Moonbyul knew, without looking, that he was pointing at Solar. Wasting time or not, she was not sure if he was right, but he was definitely right about the other.

The door to the room opened a little, enough for an officer to peer in and call for her. She stood up and took one last look at the man who was looking away in annoyance.

“What is it?” She asked as soon as she stepped out of the room.

“Ma’am, we might have found the car used to transport the body,” he informed and Moonbyul’s eyes, which were initially lifeless, lit up.

“Keep an eye on him,” she instructed the officer before rushing off to find Wheein and Hwasa.

Hwasa was at her table, but Wheein was not, which was strange.

“Where’s that pup?” Moonbyul nodded her head towards Wheein’s table.

Hwasa looked at the empty desk beside hers and shrugged. She told her she had some family matters to settle and she would be back after lunch.

“And she think it was a good idea not to tell me?” Wheein was a bit out of it these few days, especially with her constant spacing out.

Hwasa placed her hand on Moonbyul’s arm in attempt to calm her down. “Cut her some slack, her family is having some problems recently.”

“What problems?” Moonbyul asked, suddenly feeling a sense of guilt as she realised she noticed her problems, especially when things are troubling her lately as well.

“She didn’t tell me,” Hwasa said a bit sadly. Wheein never told her anything, maybe because she did not want to trouble her. She was too nice, and she would only show her brightest side. “Anyway, what is it?”

“Oh, right. We might have found the car that the killer used to transport the body.” Moonbyul waved the slip of paper that the officer passed to her.

Hwasa stood up with a huge grin. “Sweet! Let’s hunt that monster down.”

It was a secluded area with dense foliage all around. The driver clearly abandoned the black Mini Cooper in a hurry. They approached the car and the stench was overpowering. The white leather seats were thoroughly stained.

Moonbyul looked around the area. There was only one way for someone to get out of this place – the long stretch of road which they came from. It was impossible for the killer to walk out of this place unnoticed. She was sure there was blood on him, unless he prepared a fresh set of clothes, or… someone picked him up.

“Byul…” Hwasa called out for the inspector and pulled her back to look at the car. Moonbyul looked curiously at her.

“You noticed something?” She asked, looking closely at the back of the car.

Hwasa stared at the car plate and her hand turning colder and colder. She pointed towards the car plate and turned to look at Moonbyul. “Isn’t this Wheein’s car?”

-

A/N: Here you go, an update! Just a short one before all the crazy things happen in this story. Also, subsequent updates will be slowing down as well :(