Bonus

Severed

They walked hand in hand along the river. It was a cold New Year's Eve night. Solar just wanted to stay at home and watch DVDs but Moonbyul suggested to go for a stroll, and the moment she stepped out of the house, she had second thoughts. 

"Whose great idea was this?" Solar grumbled as she pulled her scarf to her nose. 

Moonbyul looked at the dumpling beside her and smiled. "Oh come on, it isn't that bad!" She said as she wrapped her arms around her girlfriend and stuck her face to Solar's. 

"Oh god," Solar said as she tried to push the woman clinging onto her away. "Go away, you're making it difficult to walk!" 

With a laugh, Moonbyul let go and walked ahead of the other person. She turned around and continued to walk with her back facing the path ahead. "I just remembered something," she said with a sly smile. 

The street lamps added a warm filter to the scene in front of her. It looked as if Moonbyul was glowing in the dark. "What?" She asked, hiding her smile behind the scarf. 

"You still owe me my birthday present," Moonbyul said, crossing her arm in front of her chest. 

In that moment, Solar swore she heard crows flying past. "I'm going home," she said, and turned around. 

"You're really going home?" Moonbyul shouted. Solar walked further and further away from her like she already made up her mind. She sighed, but the smile on her face was still visible. She jogged up to her and grabbed her hand. "Wait for me," she said. 

Moonbyul could not see Solar's expression clearly because she had half of her face covered, but somehow she knew she was not in a bad mood. "You're really not giving me a birthday present?" Moonbyul continued to ask. 

"Do you really want a birthday present so badly?" Solar asked, turning her head to look at the taller woman who nodded furiously. She curled her lips and nodded. "If that's the case, I'll give it you then," she said, as if she had the present prepared for a long time.

"Really?" Moonbyul asked, her eyes glinted in the light.  

Solar nodded. "Neutrogena foam cleanser!" She shouted in Moonbyul's face and burst out laughing. 

If there were other people around, they would think she lost it, but Moonbyul knew better. It was one of those moments where she simply could not understand what was going on in that brilliant mind of hers. "Right, we're definitely going home," she said, shaking her head a little. Solar laughed for a good ten minutes and Moonbyul still did not understand why 'Neutrogena foam cleanser' was so funny. 

"I'll... I'll stop now," Solar said, regulating her breathing to stop herself from laughing. "Okay, let's be serious," she said. 

Tsk, look who's talking, Moonbyul thought.

"What do you want?" Solar asked. She did not want to get any gift, she wanted it to be special, to mean something, like the one Moonbyul gave her. She reached for the ring that was hanging as her necklace around her neck. 

"Hm," Moonbyul hummed, deep in thought. "Honestly, I don't know," she said with a shrug. 

Solar walked a little closer to the person beside her and held onto her arm. "I'll give you my love?" She looked up with a smile, but Moonbyul could not see any sign of her joking. She was being serious this time. 

"You already did," Moonbyul said, leaning in to kiss her. 

"I'll give you an answer?" She asked. The other woman was clearly confused. "Yes, I do," Solar said with all sincerity. 

Moonbyul opened but not a sound came out. She looked at Solar pulling out the necklace from underneathe her scarf and dangling it with her finger. Ring. Yes, I do. "No 'marry me'?" Solar's voice rang in her mind, and it was crystal clear. A small smile formed on her face but she was quick to turn around so Solar coud not see her expression. "I never asked," she said. "You were the one who said, 'marry me'. Shouldn't I be the one giving the answer?" 

"I already said I wasn't proposing, and... and you were the one who gave me the ring!" She exclaimed. An important one at that! She pushed Moonbyul as hard as she could and walked off on her own again. Was she a fool to hope that a certain blockhead would realise what she was trying to get at? 

No, she was not. 

Moonbyul swung her arms around Solar and pulled her in for a sudden hug. "Thank you," Moonbyul said softly, "This is the best birthday present, even though it's late." 

She unclasped the necklace and slid the ring out. She gently lifted Solar's hand and put on the ring. "Marry me, Solar?" she said. 

"Didn't I already give you an answer?" Solar asked, grinning.

"I want to hear you say it one more time," Moonbyul said. 

"Yes, I do," Solar said. She had never been more sure when she said this. 

Moonbyul looked at the beautiful woman in front of her but something was clouding her vision. God, why must she be so embarrassing everytime? She wiped away the tears that was in her eyes and hugged Solar tightly. They stayed in their spot for what felt like an eternity before Moonbyul broke it by singing the most embarrassing song she could think of in that situation. 

"It's a beautiful night!" She sang out loud, "We're looking for something dumb to do!" 

Solar covered her face in embarrassment and groaned. She did not expect her to stay romantic for long but she did not ask for her to be such a public nuisance. She ran away as fast as she could, but she could still hear Moonbyul shouting the song, completely destroying the tune. Well, not like it mattered to her. It still sounded like music to her ears. 

"Hey baby! I think I wanna marry you!" Moonbyul shouted and ran after the person she could finally call her wife.