When We Were In College

From Afar

‘TAEYEON!! You made it!’

 

Taeyeon opened the door to let her girlfriend in before straightening her shirt. She was only an hour late but that was plenty of time for half the room to get drunk.

 

‘Oh my god. You both look good together. Love your shoes, Jess!’ Sooyoung greeted the couple.

 

‘Thanks Soo. Sorry we’re late.’ Jessica apologized to the host of the night.

 

‘It’s okay. I’m sure you both had a good reason’ Sooyoung teased them again by pouting her lips together

 

‘Stop it before I hit you with the wooden spoon. Sorry, I’m late. Dinner took a long time to arrive.’ Taeyeon apologized as she poured a glass of wine for her girlfriend and poured herself some whisky on ice.

 

‘Sunny! Pick a different song!’ Sooyoung shouted at the short girl that had full control of the karaoke song selections.

 

‘How was dinner? Was the steak as good as the reviews?’ Taeyeon’s attention turned to the only male in the room.

 

‘Oh. Hey Nickhun. Didn't expect to see you here. Yeah, it was good. I think Sica liked their wine selection too’ Taeyeon replied while she scanned the room for someone.

 

‘Tiff went to the ladies. Great that you enjoyed dinner. Maybe I’ll bring Tiff there next time.' 

 

‘Cool.’ Taeyeon responded turning away from Nickhun. She never did like him to beign with. She leaned back and swung her arm around Jessica. Jessica leaned against Taeyeon making herself comfortable. The pair sat together and watched their friends dancing and singing in their semi-drunken state. Sooyoung had invited everyone over to her house for a night out.

 

‘What did I miss?’ Tiffany asked as soon as she walked into the room.

 

‘Nothing much. Yoona just got the microphone. I think it’s a sign to call it a night.’ Taeyeon answered and laughed as she watched Sunny trying to protect the controller from Sooyoung.

 

‘Oh. Hi Taetae. How’s dinner?’ Tiffany turned her attention to Taeyeon. She gave the older girl a big smile and sat down in the space in between Taeyeon and Nickhun.

 

‘Hey Fany. Dinner was great but I think our sleeping beauty has gone into food coma mode. Best I send her home now.’  Taeyeon chuckled as she tried to wake Jessica up while poking Tiffany with her free hand.

 

‘I’ll see you at home then.’ Tiffany poked Taeyeon back before engaging in a conversation with Nickhun.

 

‘KIM TAEYEON! LAST TO ARRIVE BUT FIRST TO LEAVE!’ Sooyoung shouted as the pair made their way to the door. Taeyeon just stuck out her tongue and walked out of the room.

 

‘You can stay if you want to. Soo has plenty of spare bedrooms.’ Jessica told her girlfriend. Annoyed that she had been woken up.

 

‘It’s okay, I’ll send you home. I’m kinda tired too. Got lots to do tomorrow.’ Taeyeon replied as she opened the door for Jessica.

 

Taeyeon drove Jessica home. By the time they reached Jessica’s front door, the younger girl had fallen back to sleep. Taeyeon couldn’t help but smile to herself as she exited the car. It seemed as perfect timing as Taeyeon saw Jessica’s younger sister, Krystal being dropped off by someone she has not seen before.

 

‘Oh. Taeyeon. Didn’t see you there. Just got back?’ Krystal greeted Taeyeon.

 

Though Taeyeon and Jessica only officially started dating a few months ago, Taeyeon had known the Jung sisters for over four years now. All of them attend the same high school. Krystal is in her final year while Taeyeon and Jessica had just started their second year in college.

 

‘Yeah. The sleeping beauty is passed out in the front seat. Do you mind opening the doors for me?’ Taeyeon asked the younger girl.

 

‘Sure. But first, blackmail photos.’ Krystal gave a cheeky smile and went on to open the passenger door, taking photos of the sleeping beauty that is her older sister.

 

Taeyeon unbuckled Jessica’s seatbelt and carried the girl all the way to the bedroom. She planted a kiss on the girl’s forehead before leaving. Taeyeon was about to drive off when she felt her phone vibrating.

 

‘Where are you?’

 

‘On my way home, kinda. What about you?’

 

‘Khunnie just dropped me home.’

 

‘Ah. You should go sleep then.’

 

‘……..’

 

‘Should I get some beer and some snacks on my way home?’

 

‘That would be perfect. I’ll be in your room.’

 

‘Sure. See you in 15 minutes.’

 

Taeyeon hung up and drove. It has always been that way between her and Tiffany. She knew even without Tiffany saying it out loud that something was wrong and that the younger girl probably wanted to talk to her about it. No matter how busy or how tired Taeyeon is, she would always make time for Tiffany. Nickhun and Tiffany started getting close after a summer project in highschool and since then, everyone had assumed that the pair are a couple. Nickhun had chosen to go to a different college, a sports college with his mates while Taeyeon ended up picking the same college as Tiffany. Nickhun and Tiffany would always spend their weekends together…more or less.

 

‘Got you spicy wings.’ Taeyeon nudged Tiffany who had her headphones on while lying on Taeyeon’s bed.

 

‘YAY!’ Tiffany cheered and went straight for the food.

 

The pair sat next to each other as they ate and drank through the night. They laughed and talked until there was no more spicy wings or beers left. Tiffany helped Taeyeon clear up their midnight snack mess while Taeyeon went to take a much needed shower.

 

‘Are you feeling better now?’ Taeyeon asked her best friend as she dried her hair with the towel. She looked at Tiffany as there was no response and saw the girl curled up and probably even fast asleep on her bed.

 

Taeyeon let out a sigh and walked over to the empty side of her bed. She made herself comfortable and stared at the ceiling.

 

Stupid girl. Why are you still in a relationship with a douchebag that breaks your heart every other month?

 

Taeyeon rolled over, back facing Tiffany and soon enough drifted to sleep.

 

On the other side, Tiffany waited till she was sure that Taeyeon had fallen asleep before wiping her tears.

 

Why do I feel so jealous seeing Taetae with Jess when she's not mine to begin with? Sigh. Taetae will never see me that way, I’m better of dating someone else. Only Khunnie would understand how I feel about TaeTae.

 

Tiffany stood up and slowly made her way back to her home. Taeyeon and Tiffany had been neighbors since they were kids so sleepovers weren’t something new for either of them. Tiffany took one last look at Taeyeon’s sleeping figure before quietly closing the door behind her.