Epilogue

Let's end it together

Jongin's body was found the next day tucked under the old smelly covers that looked like they had gone through hell and back. It had a yellowish tinge and the dust was terrible. Forensic scientists who were at the scene described that it looked like Jongin had gotten on the bed, laid himself down, pulled the covers over himself and rolled over to his side to hug something in his arms. It was as if he'd gone to sleep. His death didn't look painful, rather it was peaceful as forensics say he looked like he would wake up any moment. Only his heart had ceased and his body was cold to the touch.

It was an odd case. The people behind the scene were still working to piece things together and make sense of the situation. They wonder what the cause of death could be. If maybe this was a murder case and someone brought Jongin to the building to throw police off track. But the three friends knew they weren't going to be able to solve anything. The situation was beyond their comprehension.

"They found skeletons too," Minseok said, eyes blank as he stared at the television currently going over the news for the public, "It's probably the people who disappeared,"

Jongdae sat quietly next to him.

"Ghosts have the ability to blind us," Sehun said, "Those skeletons could have been there this whole time, but because the spirits didn't allow, we weren't able to see."

Before they went to the house for the sake of jokes, when people were still disappearing, the police did get involved because the number of people who had disappeared and were last seen at the house was only increasing as time went on. They even went as far as to dig up the whole yard hoping to find something - anything, but they couldn't find anything at all and in the end, gave up, concluding that it was unsolvable.

Now they were finding skeletons all over the premises of the building. They had all been buried, over time, under the growth of shrubs, trees, and unnecessary weeds. They had basically become part of the land.

"He's....really gone, huh?" Jongdae whispered. "We were with him just three days ago,"

"I know.." Minseok leaned in closer, their shoulders touching.

Jongdae hugged his knees to his chest. Minseok wrapped his arms around his trembling back, comforting his friend.

On the news, Sehun could hear the reporter saying something along the lines of "destroying" the building. But that was masked over with the sniffling from Jongdae and Minseok.

 

The funeral was eventually held and the three friends attended. Distant friends and teachers also came.

People who couldn't attend placed flowers on Jongin's desk at the school.

Until it came time to throw the desk out in honor of Jongin because his death was a mystery and the school felt letting other students use his desk would be disrespectful.

The three friends missed Jongin. But despite that, time was moving forward and soon, the year soon came to an end.

 

"Hey, are you guys free today?" Jongdae asked. They were all coming back from the local ice cream shop. It was finally summer again and it was as hot as ever. Being back in their home city for summer felt like the old times.

"Yes, always. Why?" Minseok asked, his chocolate ice cream cone.

Sehun was busy in his own world trying his hardest to not let a single drop of melted ice cream from his ice cream bar run to his wrist. It made him look like an idiot.

"Let's go visit Jongin," Jongdae said.

"I thought we're going tomorrow," Minseok said.

"But I can't wait so let's go today, okay?" he replied.

Sehun and Minseok rolled their eyes, "Impatient, are we?"

"Let's go get flowers first though," Jongdae chirped, already heading toward the local flower shop.

"Don't forget to get two bundles this time!" Sehun hollered after him.

"Oh, right. I totally forgot last time," Jongdae said sheepishly.

After they've bought their bundles of flowers, they walked their way down the main road to the cemetery. It was located slightly at the edge of the busy city, where more bustling trees filled the sounds in the air.

"Ahh, it's been ten years," Minseok sighed. He gestured for Jongdae to hand him the flowers. "I hope you've been well, Jongin," He said and placed the first bundle of flowers on the gravestone. "We came last year too but Jongdae's stupid self forgot the flowers for - " He snatched the second bundle of flowers and placed it on the gravestone next to Jongin's, " - for your beloved, Kyungsoo,"

"I swear Jongin was pissed," Sehun joked.

It was true that they found a lot of skeletons during the search in and around the house. But none of them could beat the one found under the bed. The operation to destroy the building was permitted. Construction workers were pulling the wooden floor apart in every room. It was when they were destroying the floors in the master bedroom that they discovered bones hidden in a makeshift casket of some sort, sealed off and placed in the space between the first and second floor. They contacted police immediately and the bones were sent to labs to be tested. Because it's been years, they couldn't verify who the bones belonged to specifically.

However, Jongin's grandma was quick to act. She showed her records of having lived in the house before. And because no one wanted the mystery bones anyway, they handed it to her willingly. The three friends were there when she set up a funeral for the bones, despite the family's disapproval of such activities. She was also able to get a space beside Jongin and that's where their remains have laid for years.

And every summer, the three friends made a promise to visit.

"Well, we wish to stay longer, but Jongdae and I have to go back home," Minseok said. "It's also our big day this year," He looked at Jongdae.

Sehun leaned in as if to whisper to the stone, "They're finally going to reveal their relationship to their parents,"

"Wish us luck," Jongdae chuckled.

With one last prayer sent Jongin and Kyungsoo's way, the three friends headed back home.

 

 

A/n: aaaaaand that's it! Finally. I feel this has a better closure...yeah? Yeah. lol

Subscribe and comment.