presents & gingerbread men

The Baby Chronicles

Hyukjae zipped up his red onesie, wiggling his toes in satisfaction when the material was tight and snug around him. Donghae and him were having a sleepover tonight, but this time was a little more special. His mom was making his favorite cookies (gingerbread, in case you were wondering), and it would be the first time he and Hae would be able to decorate them together.

Now that he was fresh out of the shower and cozy in his pajamas, he was getting impatient for Donghae to arrive. He padded over toward his window, climbing onto the chair he had placed there so he could get a better look. It was snowing outside, the feathery white flakes making their way slowly downward to collect and reunite with the other snowflakes already dusting the streets and rooftops. The sun was gone, hidden behind the gray sky; and the Christmas lights from the houses visible to Hyukjae twinkled in an array of fascinating colors and blurry patterns.

Almost every night in December had he sat on that seat, just looking out at the pretty lights and snow that was illuminated by the streetlights. It was only once a year when the street looked this magical, and it fascinated the 5 year old. He knew with Christmas having past a day ago, the lights would be gone soon- he would take advantage until then.

Just was Hyukjae was about to rest his chin on his arms, car lights caught his eye and he was up out of his seat in a second.

Since Donghae had been away for a week spending Christmas with his family, Hyukjae had yet to give him his present. He took his red wrapped present he’d prepared for his friend long ago before bouncing down the stairs with a wide smile on his face.

His mom was at the door and Hyukjae hid behind her legs, peeking out to see a happy Donghae giggling at him, a big green box with a silver bow held in between both his gloved little hands. His chubby cheeks were speckled pink and he had a red beanie on his head; it wrapped around his ears, ending in a neat knot sitting under his chin. He was bundled up into a thick jacket and a red scarf wound around his neck.

“Hi Hyukkie! I missed you so much!” Donghae nearly shouted, eyes wide in obvious excitement. He held out his present to Hyukjae and grinned widely. “This is for you.”

“I got this for you too,” Hyukjae replied, nervously handing the box to his friend.

Hae beamed and quickly took the box from Hyuk’s outstretched hands, placing his present in its place. “Can I open it now?” Donghae asked hopefully, looking like he was about to bounce off the walls in anticipation.

Hyukjae nodded and walked toward the couch, Donghae in tow.

“Open yours too! Let’s open them together,” Hae tilted his head toward him, then only waiting a beat before undoing the gold bow wrapped around the box. It was neatly wrapped, as Hyukjae’s mom had wrapped it for him, so it took Hae a while to tear the paper off. Meanwhile Hyukjae waited nervously for him to see his present.

Donghae had gotten him something too, and Hyuk was just itching to open it- it made him so happy that his friend had thought of him. But he was much more interested on seeing Hae’s face when he opened what Hyukjae had gotten him.

After Donghae managed to open the box, he took out a baby blue onesie, complete with a hoodie and little fishes printed all over.

“I love it Hyukkie! I love it so much!” Hae exclaimed, hugging the soft material to his chest. “You’re the bestest best friend ever.”

Hyukjae smiled and looked down, his heart finally slowing down from how nervous he was to see Donghae’s reaction.

“Mommy, can I wear it right now?” Donghae turned to his mother, lips turning pouty as his back slumped.

“Yes,” his mother smiled, “but did you forget to say something to Hyukjae?”

Donghae’s eyebrows furrowed in slight confusion, and he looked down before turning to Hyukjae sheepishly. “Thank you for the present Hyukkie.”

Hyukjae felt very, very warm. “You’re welcome Hae.”

Donghae caught sight of the present in Hyuk’s hand which had not been opened. “Now it’s your turn to open your present,” Hae said matter of factly, scooting closer to Hyukjae.

Hyuk undid the ribbon and tried to open the present slowly to hide his excitement, but his face probably said it all. When he managed to open the box, the first thing he saw was a giant red plush, that upon further inspection, was a giant strawberry plush. It was soft and squishy and perfect. But there was one more thing at the bottom of the box- a pair of monkey ears. Hyukjae didn’t wait- he tried on the ears.

“How do I look?” he asked Hae who was giggling like crazy.

“Like a monkey!”

Hyukjae grinned, a happiness that made him want to keep smiling forever filling him. “Hae thank you so much! These presents rock!”

“You’re welcome Hyukkie! Now I’m gonna go put this on,” Hae smiled as he held up the pajamas, nearly dragging his mother into the bathroom.

When he came out he was sporting the baby blue onesie, and Hyukjae loved that it fit perfectly- he was proud he chose the right present. It just made him that much more excited to be spending this time with his best friend in the whole wide world.

“Mommy, can we decorate the cookies now?” Hyukjae asked, very much ready to show Donghae how it was done.

All together the adults and the children walked into the kitchen, where gingerbread man and many decorations were out on the table.

Hyukjae heard Donghae gasp and he ran toward the table, brown eyes big in wonder. “We get to make the gingerbread men?”

Hyukjae nodded and climbed a chair, patting the one next to him for Hae to sit on. “You can make it any way you like using the frosting and little chocolates, and even sprinkles.”

Donghae’s eyes gleamed as they each took a cookie, getting ready to decorate. It took many minutes and pleas to their mothers for help before each of them was satisfied with their gingerbread man.

Hyukjae looked over at Hae’s cookie, and squinted his eyes as he tried to guess what was what. There was red frosting basically all over the gingerbread man’s body except his face, with a smile made of white frosting and two eyes made of pieces of chocolate.

Hyukjae’s cookie was mostly blue and had a single fish in the middle of his tummy, a big smile and two big eyes.

“What’s your cookie, Hyukkie?” Hae asked, also trying to understand what was happening.

Suddenly Hyukjae got very nervous again, and he looked at the table. “It’s you. You see it’s blue like your pajamas and it has a fish because- because you like fishes.”

“My cookie is you!” Hae exclaimed, obvious glee in his voice. “His pajamas are red like yours!”

Hyukjae looked up and now spotted the similarities in the cookie with himself, and the very warm feeling was back. His face was hot but it was not unpleasant.

Donghae took Hyukjae’s cookie and before Hyukjae could protest, placed it right next to his own to make it seem as though the gingerbread men were holding hands.

“They’re us- they’re bestfriends,” Hae smiled, eyeing their work with pride.

Hyukjae didn’t know how much more happiness he could take- he felt as if he got any more he would burst.

“Boys, look over here, at the camera!” Hyukjae’s mom said, waving her hand to get their attention. “Hold up your cookies.”

Each of them picked up their cookies and made their little gingerbread hands touch, smiling widely for his mom to take the picture.

They set the cookies back down and finished decorating the rest- some with pink pants and no shirt, or a green dress and a blue hat- before finally settling down with the cookies and some warm milk in front of the TV to watch a movie.

It’s then, as they’re watching The Polar Express and giggling when they bite the heads off the gingerbread men cookies, that Hyukjae decides he wants to do this again next year or it wouldn’t feel complete- and then possibly every year after that.

 


 

A/N: wow it has been a really long time! I honestly had this planned since the summer but when I wrote it, my computer restarted for an update and I couldn't save it so I kinda forgot about it... until now that is. I was really in a mood for something fluffy and very cozy and this really got me in a kinda of snuggle mood idk haha

I hope you guys like the new story name! I don't mean 'baby' as in literally, more as in the sense of when they were younger y'know? ANYWAY

I have a plan for this story to continue but am not 100% sure about it yet so for now this story is going to stay marked "complete", since on its own it's technically complete and does not need any more chapters to be finished. it could be read as is.
although there is probably going to be more chapters of these cuties js

I always like to hear your thoughts though!<3 Happy holidays!