pulling teeth

The Baby Chronicles

A/N: please read the ending note! ^-^


Donghae is sitting down on the carpet, pushing a little red fire truck towards his toy firehouse. He imitates siren sounds, and parks the truck where it belongs, then looks around. He sighs and slumps his little body, impatient for his best friend to get to his house so they could have lots of fun and play. It isn’t as fun without Hyukjae there.

So when he hears a car pull up, little Donghae hurries to his window, a wide smile stretching onto his face when he sees Hyukjae’s mom’s car pull into his driveway. He runs as fast as his 5-year-old legs can carry him out his front door, excitedly hopping down his front porch steps.

Hyukjae seems just as happy to see his younger friend, quickly undoing the belts and buckles on his car seat and opening his car door. He meets Hae halfway, hugging his best friend in what his parents had referred to as a ‘bear hug’. He liked both bears and hugs, so he liked that term, too.

“Hyukkie, you’re finally here!” Hae exclaims as he hugs the skinny body of his friend. He lets go only to take his hand and rush them through the house and to the backyard, leaving their moms to chat in the driveway. When they get there, Hae turns to Hyuk. "I missed you!"

Hyukjae feels really happy at this but tries not to show it as much. "It's only been a few days," he tells the other, both of them already making their way to the play set that Donghae has in his backyard.

"Still," Hae pouts, looking at Hyukjae, pausing his walk and waiting.

Hyuk gives in, his friend's pouty face too much to handle. "I missed you, too," he mumbles, looking down at the grass under his sneakers. He looks up and Hae is smiling at him so widely, his heart beats faster.

"Come on, let's see who can go higher on the swings!" Hae challenges him, already running toward the swings, Hyukjae following shortly behind.

Together they play on the swings, take turns down the slide and even kick a ball around for a little before they tumble down to the grass in a heap of little limbs, exhausted.

Probably watching them from the window, Donghae's mom comes out with apple slices, sandwiches, and two cartons of Hyukjae's favorite strawberry milk. She lays down a blanket and the snacks, smiling at the them.

"Are you boys hungry? I brought sandwiches," she tells them both, laughing when they immediately get up from the grass and sit down on the blanket.

"Thanks mommy!" Donghae smiles toothily at his mom, reaching for the sandwiches first.

"Thank you Mrs. Lee," Hyukjae also says politely, taking an apple slice and munching on it happily.

Donghae's mom goes back inside and leaves them both to their food.

As Donghae eats, he feels something weird happening in his mouth. He ignores it at first, and takes an apple slice. When he bites into it, his front tooth feels funny and he uses his tongue to touch it. It wiggles a little and his eyes go wide in surprise. It was loose!

Hyukjae notices the other stops eating and his face looks weird, so he asks, "What's wrong Hae?"

"My tooth is loose Hyukkie!" he almost shouts right in Hyuk's face, brown eyes big.

"Ooh, pull it off!" Hyukjae exclaims, suddenly not so interested in his half eaten sandwich. He scoots closer to Donghae, wanting to watch the action.

Hae looks nervous and looks around, fidgeting his hands in his lap. "It's gonna hurt," he says softly, suddenly scared. "What if it bleeds a lot?"

Hyukjae gets a brilliant idea. "Let me pull it off then! It'll be quick Hae, promise," he assured the other, voice high pitched in excitement.

Donghae stares at him in horror. "But Hyukkie..." he starts, lower lip trembling.

"I've done it to myself twice already!" Hyuk says quickly, trying to comfort his friend.

Donghae looks up at him, eyes shining and a soft sniffle coming from his button nose. "It doesn't... hurt?" he asks, in wonder that his friend was able to do such a scary thing by himself. And two times already!

"No," Hyukjae shakes his head. "So will you let me?"

Donghae thinks about it for a second. Well Hyukkie is older than him, and since he has done it already he knows what he is doing, he concludes. Hae smiles a little and nods. "Okay Hyukkie, I'll let you," he says, opening his mouth as wide as he can. "Iths thith one," Donghae tries to say with his mouth open.

Hyukjae gets closer to Hae's mouth, taking his index finger and thumb and placing them on the tooth that Donghae was pointing at. He wiggles it a little, observing that yes, it is very loose.

"Okay Hae are you ready?" Hyukjae asks, trying to be serious. He is the older one of them two, so he should be serious he thinks.

Donghae mumbles a "mhm," at the back of his throat.

Hyukjae concentrates, making sure he's holding the tooth very tight, and then pulls his hand away as fast as he can.

"There," he smiles in triumph, observing the tooth in his hand proudly. He takes it and drops it into Hae's open fist.

Hae smiles so wide his eyes almost disappear, Hyukjae notices, and his tummy feels funny like there are little insects moving in there. "Th-that didn't hurt at all!" Hae stutters, looking at the tooth in wonder. He then looks up at his friend, who's smiling at him with his gummy smile (Hae's favorite smile in the whole wide world).

Suddenly, in gratitude, Hae leans in and quickly puts his puckered lips to his best friend's cheek, leaving Hyuk's mouth to drop. "Hyukkie, you're the best!"

Hyukjae blushes madly, trying to find something to say, but he can't since his heart is beating too loud for him to think. He'll pull out each of Hae's teeth if it means he would give him another kiss like that, he decides. It was nice, and made the little insects in his tummy jump up and down with happiness.

"Let's go show mommy!" Hae jumps up, holding his hand out for Hyukkie, smiling brightly when the older boy takes it. Together, hand in hand, the two 5-year-olds make their way inside to where their moms, unknown to them, have been watching the whole exchange from the window, gushing about how perfect they are for each other.


 

Author's Note: i hope you guys liked it ^^ first time writing kid anything so, sorry if it's a mess lol

anyway! i had this sudden idea while i was writing this to make this like a series, where i write all about little hae and little hyuk's adventures. like maybe them playing house together, or getting "married", just cute little stuff like this. idk what do you guys think? if so, then subscribe and comment maybe?~