Finding My Other

Finding My Other

"Are you sure it will work Lu-ge?" Tao asks.

 

"It's the only choice we have." Luhan looks back at the tablet in his hands. The last time they caught Jongin, they barely had time to attach a microchip to his arm, before he escaped. Jongin probably has no idea because his location is still flashing red on the map. "Tell Minseok of his whereabouts."

 

"Understood, Lu-ge." He salutes before his hologram disappears, ending the call.

 

London was the ideal place for Jongin to hide. It's the one thing he kept away from the Agency––his past and his childhood dreams. Luhan's the only one who knew, kept it locked and safe in personal memories, and he feels guilty using this information now to find Jongin, the only family he has left.

 

The end happened too fast for anyone to have even anticipated it. The world had barely gotten used to the idea of other beings living among them when the first wave of attacks came. Liquid metal was mysteriously pushed out from the earth, solidifying to form thousands of spheres. The phenomenon brought about a wave of curiosity and panic in the citizens and others alike. But on the tenth day, the spheres opened and unleashed hell; fear was the only thing that kept everyone alive.

 

"ETA is in ten minutes. Team, prepare for landing." Luhan hears Minseok say through his headphones. After a semi rough landing on an air force base in a countryside area just outside London, the team readies their equipment. Tao, Minseok, Kris and Luhan go over the plan and discuss a rendezvous point.

 

They disperse, shielding their powers with a special device created by the Agency. The others can feel each other; not a good innate capability when trying to find others who turned.

 

Luhan had been keeping track of Jongin for a month. It's the longest Jongin has stayed in one place, but still Luhan runs . He runs as if his life depended on it, his memories catching up with his feet––him and Jongin on the soccer field, before the spheres, before the attacks, their dreams of playing together professionally. Jongin suggesting using their powers to cheat games if they were on the verge of losing the FA Cup final, to which Luhan punches him on the arm, their laughs boisterous.

 

"What?" Jongin replied, out of breath. "It would make an exciting game, hyung. The two of us, conquering the football world. As long as we're together, right hyung?"

 

Those dreams seem like fragments once he enters a dilapidated Stamford Bridge, now just as crumbled as the dreams and promises he and Jongin once had. An open field, playing to an ocean of empty seats with empty dreams, silent cheers.

 

"Took you long enough," a voice echoes through the stadium.

 

There's a crack in the air and the next moment, Jongin stands in front of him. His face is ragged, stubble adding years to a face that once smiled with an endless youth.

 

"How did you figure it out?" Jongin asks.

 

"It was either here or Old Trafford," Luhan starts. He hopes old memories will bring Jongin back this time without any Agency interference. "And you were always so stubborn about bloody Chelsea, you never gave up on them. Plus, I put a tracer on you the last time."

 

Jongin laughs, a sound filled with a touch of sincerity, more than Luhan could've hoped for.

 

"Well played. And you never gave up on Manchester United, even though we beat your in the last match before..." Jongin trails off, shrinking into himself.

 

"Why did you give up on me, Jongin?" Luhan asks, forgetting about slow tactics to win him over. With the way Jongin looks now, ready to run again, he can't take any chances. Luhan is desperate. "Why did you give up on us?"

 

"I didn't, Hyung. I didn't...I was...afraid." Jongin's voice is heavy with the guilt weighing on his hunched shoulders, so different from the boy who used to exude confidence on the field. "I was afraid the same thing would happen...to you."

 

"It wasn't your fault, Jongin." No matter how many times Luhan has told him this, he needs to say it again. Jongin needs to forgive himself. "You didn't know what would be out there. No one knew it was a trap. Kyungsoo was...he trusted you. All of us did. We knew you would never do anything to hurt us. We were all shocked. None of us were prepared––"

 

"I killed him, hyung. I should've gone first to check, to make sure it was safe and that the spheres didn't have access to the open space. But I was so sure of myself––cocky, like I always am on the battlefield, on the football field." Jongin's voice wavers and dissolves into silence.  

 

Luhan feels Jongin's pain with every step he takes to get closer. He grabs hold of Jongin, forcing him into an embrace, something that Jongin would always welcome, especially on days when he missed a goal and the coach would scold him for not focusing.

 

"I'm so tired, hyung," Jongin says into the crook of Luhan's neck. "I can't run anymore." He breaks into sobs.

 

Luhan lets him cry. It's been a while and he's needed to comfort Jongin just as much as Jongin needed the comforting.

 

Luhan wishes he could stay here a few moments longer, but it's time to let go of these sad memories. He reaches into a back pocket of his pants, and deactivates his shield so the team can find them. "Jongin, I've got you."

 

He refuses to lose Jongin again, not to the Agency and not for the world. The team understands this. Jongin hasn't turned. It was an accident after all. He will find a way to prove this, but until then...

 

He turns to Jongin seated next to him in the aircraft.

 

Jongin smiles. "Do you think the agency will find us?"

 

"I hope not."