1/1

can I borrow your (third) eye

Joonmyeon yawned sleepily and sighed as he tucked the blankets himself, eyes fluttering closed. The moonlight filtering into his room was dim and quiet, and there were no weird noises other than his new roommate's sleepy shuffling in the room next door. It had been weeks since he was able to sleep like this in his apartment, after "weird things" started to happen, and Joonmyeon was glad now that there was another person who can protect him, somehow. Or at least get scared with him.

He breathed out contentedly and surrendered to sleep.



Joonmyeon was a twenty-three year old man living alone in a nice apartment located in a nice street somewhere in a nice town. He'd recently graduated from college and worked as a journalist for the local newspaper, skittering here and there around the town to gather stories, and was never one to ponder about, say, the supernatural or anything weird like that. Stuff just happens, he supposes.

Living alone wasn't scary, really, not when you have a nice old lady living below him, watering the plants every morning, and a friendly couple living directly across him who would occasionally drop by for a chat, and someone's child waving at him happily from the balcony next door. The apartment building wasn't full, but it wasn't empty either- it was just quiet.

That was when stuff did happen.

Some months after he moved in, he would wake up to the sound of a door banging in his house when there was no one else in his house, and sometimes he could hear the tap in the bathroom turning on while he was in the kitchen. At times, he'd find the TV on when he swore he didn't watch TV at all the previous night, and occasionally, he would hear footsteps walking back and forth in his apartment.

(Although that could've easily been his upstairs neighbour, but he wasn't going to miss the chance to scare himself silly.)

Joonmyeon couldn't have cared less, in all honesty, because his neighbours were friendly and the apartment was pretty and the street outside was quaint and rather lively. Don't ghosts haunt sad, gloomy places?

At least, that's what he told his lifelong friends Luhan and Kyungsoo. Both of them shrugged it off, Kyungsoo too busy meddling with his phone and Luhan staring off into the far distance, probably thinking about his girlfriend. Joonmyeon frowned and looked away, deciding to drop the topic.

He'd thought his friends really didn't care about the "compromising situation" he was in, until one night, he opened the door to his group of friends lugging DVDs and popcorn in their arms. Luhan pushed through Joonmyeon and plopped on the couch, happily announcing that they were all going to have a horror movie marathon, then all of his friends flooded his living room, cheering loudly  and he was squished between a sniggering Jongin and a sleepy Tao.

Looking back, the movies they watched weren't even scary ("I mean, Zoe didn't even have a reason to kill them all!" Tao whined after they watched The Lazarus Effect) but it still affected Joonmyeon just as much. The noises in his apartment were amplified after that night, and he'd freeze when he would hear the water trickling slowly from the bathroom or the TV left on in his living room. He'd had many sleepless nights trying to brave through those noises, and that drove him to his wits' end.

After a much-needed discussion with Yifan, who was probably the most sane in the group, he decided that he would want a roommate.

Which brings him back to the present day.

Joonmyeon groaned as he stretched his arms above his head, eyes squinting beneath the sunlight. Someone had opened the curtains before he woke up, he noticed, because the light was glaring at him through the windows. Huffing, he sat up and rubbed his eyes, letting the blanket roll of his bed. He slid out and waddled to the bathroom across his bedroom, barely noticing his roommate muttering to himself.



When he exited the bathroom, his roommate glanced up at him and nodded, gesturing towards the coffee and pancakes waiting for him. He mustered a "G'morning, hyung," as he chewed on his pancakes. A little surprised, Joonmyeon smiled and thanked him before sliding into his seat and eating.

His new roommate had only moved in a few days ago, showing up at ten in the morning on a Saturday carrying a few boxes in his arms. Whilst helping him move his boxes, Joonmyeon had tried to take in his new roommate discreetly: tall, lean, thin and pale. His hair was dyed a light brown, he had a cute button nose and he was quiet by nature. They'd made a few conversations then, but made no progress in knowing each other. Deciding now was the right time for some small talk, Joonmyeon racked his brain for questions.

Clearing his throat a little, Joonmyeon looked at his roommate- what was his name?- oh right, Sehun, and prompted him a question. "So, what do you do during the day?"

Sehun startled from his thoughts, slowing down his chewing. He thought for a while, before shrugging and answering, "Nothing much, I guess? I just...do stuff."

Joonmyeon nodded and continued to eat. Sehun asked him, "What about you, hyung?"

He replied easily, "I go around places, gather stories, interview people and write articles." He looked at his roommate. "Do you have a job?"

"Sort of," his roommate said. "I mean, I teach dance to a couple of kids in another side of town."

"Oh, you teach dance?"

His roommate shrugged again. "Yeah. Part time." Then, he added, "My friend who works there, Jongin, mentioned you the other day."

Joonmyeon raised an eyebrow. "Oh, Jongin? Yeah, we've been friends since high school." He swallowed his pancake, then continued, "Is that how you knew me?"

Sehun nodded. "Yeah, told me how his friend was looking for a roommate. I dunno, he told me you were nice and all that, so..." he trailed off, frowning. Neither of them knew where the conversation was headed, so they both stopped talking.

When the both of them finished doing the dishes, Joonmyeon glanced at his watch. He'd have to leave to the newspaper office soon. Quickly slipping on a jacket, he handed Sehun his set of extra keys, scribbled his phone number down in case of emergency and bid him goodbye, hurrying off on his bicycle. He missed the way Sehun was talking to someone else in the room.



The day passed by in a hurry, with Joonmyeon finally submitting his final article to his editor. Throughout the day, he hadn't recieved any calls or texts from his roommate, which was probably a good sign. Relaxing a bit, he opened the door to his apartment and kicked off his shoes in the entrance hall, placing them neatly in the shoe rack and plodding inside his home. He found Sehun almost swallowed by the cushions and the sofa, lazily flicking through the channels with one hand and munching on bread in the other. The house was a little tidier than it was this morning, with less dust and considerably less clutter in the living room.

Sehun barely glanced up at Joonmyeon's arrival, only managing a small nod without taking his eyes away from the TV. Joonmyeon frowned slightly at the lack of manners but let it pass, anyway. Dropping his keys on the table, he waddled off into his own room to change his clothes, and came back out with a grumbling stomach.

Sehun hadn't moved an inch since he arrived home, Joonmyeon noted, as he picked up the telephone. "Sehun, have you had dinner yet?"

A sleepy groan came from the mass of sofa and cushion. "Hngf."

I'll take that as a no, Joonmyeon thought. "I'm going to order Chinese, okay?"

A cushion fell off the sofa. "Mmm."

Raising an eyebrow at the younger one's antics, he dialled the number of the restaurant and ordered food for the both of them. When he was done, he looked back at the sofa. Several pillows had fallen off the sofa and were scattered on the floor surrounding it, the TV was muted and he could hear muffled snores from the mass of too-long limbs on the sofa.

Joonmyeon smirked at the sight. Cute.



Later that night, while Joonmyeon was half-conscious in his bed, he'd heard a conversation coming from the living room, mostly Sehun's voice in a rather annoyed tone. He shrugged it off, thinking that Sehun was probably calling someone. The water tap in the bathroom across the hall was running again.


The next morning, Sehun grumbled audibly to himself as opened the door. He made waving gestures around the air, as if trying to swat a fly, and grumbled more about how it was disturbing his sleep and really should go away before he calls for the exorcist or something, walking sluggishly past Joonmyeon, whose bedroom door was a little open. Joonmyeon barely heard anything at all, focused on texting Jongin.


"Okay but," and here Jongin took a deep breath, "he's really weird! Like, I know we all talk to ourselves a lot- okay, maybe every time, but-" he inhaled another bite of chicken, "it's like he's actually talking to someone else!"

Joonmyeon raised an eyebrow disinterestedly, sipping on his cola drink.

"And he even does it in front of the students, hyung! Like- like-" Jongin stopped, thinking up a good analogy.

The two were having lunch in a nearby KFC, Joonmyeon on the hunt for more stories and Jongin having a free time slot between classes.

"So you're telling me," Joonmyeon paused to pop a fry in his mouth, "that just because he talks to himself a lot, it means he's bipolar? Jongin, do you even know what bipolar means?"

His younger friend paused chewing, frowning. "I guess?"

"I think you might've meant split personality. But anyway," Joonmyeon continued, "I'm the one who lives with the guy. He's not weird or anything like that, heck, he doesn't even talk to me. He's just, I dunno," he considered his words, "harmless.  He really doesn't do anything in the house except for eat and sleep."

Jongin winced and pursed his lips. "Well, if you don't want to believe me, fine. If something weird happens, don't call me." He smiled sweetly.

Joonmyeon whacked his dongsaeng on the arm.



Joonmyeon almost tripped over his feet the next morning as he came out from the bathroom, right when Sehun came out from his bedroom with a towel slung around his neck, wearing baggy pajama pants and a loose wife-beater. His hair was messy, with strands sticking out everywhere. His collarbones were on display and that was what caught Joonmyeon's attention first thing in the morning.

He groaned.

Sehun, being the dense airhead he was, barely noticed anything and carried himself past the older man, pushing the door open and closing it firmly. Still in a daze, Joonmyeon patted around for his phone, and remembering it was still on his bed in his room, he turned aorund and closed the bathroom door, right when Sehun grumbled a very audible "go away" in the bathroom.

Flopping on the bed like a teenage girl, he his phone and hurriedly texted Luhan.

To: luludeer
i've decided. my roommate's pretty hot

To: jmyun$$
go get it tiger



The clock read 23.33 in neon green. Joonmyeon tossed and turned in his bed, feeling very uncomfortable between the sheets. It couldn't have been the temperature, because it was already very comfortable both inside and outside the sheets, but he'd been having a very prickly feeling in his spine, chills rolling down his back, and it wouldn't go away.

Soft footsteps plodded down the hallway and his bedroom door opened quietly to a very sleepy Sehun dragging his pillow behind him. Joonmyeon uncovered his eyes and sat up, startled.

"Hyung," Sehun mumbled, "can I sleep with you tonight?"

Joonmyeon's eyebrows shot up. "Um. Well." He looked around his double bed and considered things for a moment.

"Hyung," Sehun whined, "please?"

Joonmyeon arranged the pillows on the other side of his bed and threw the blanket over. "Here." He gestured to the space he made for his roommate.

The younger one waddled inside and gingerly climbed over the bed, turning his back to Joonmyeon and covering himself chin deep with the blanket. "Night."

"Night."



The clock read 04.05 in neon green. Joonmyeon stirred awake to the sound of a door banging in the hall.

"Ungf...Sehun?" he muttered, feeling around for the lump of warmth next to him. His arm hit a back and through the dim light he could make out the outline of Sehun's side, rising and falling gently.

The door banged again. Joonmyeon could hear the steady drop of water from the bathroom escalate into a steady stream.

"Se-Sehun?" Joonmyeon sat up straight. His roommate stirred.

"Hyung...what is it?" Sehun turned around to face his roommate, whose eyes were now wide as plates.

The door banged twice, and the pitter patter of footsteps echoed down the hall.

"Sehun, ," Joonmyeon panicked, "it's back again, it's back-"

Sehun slowly sat up and stretched. "What is?"

"It's- I'm sorry for never telling you but there's a ghost in the house and it's been haunting me for ages and I don't know what to do so I called up for a roommate and-" his elder roommate rambled on and on, the sheets and burying his face in it.

His rambling was interrupted when the door to their room opened slowly. Sehun turned around quickly, surprised. Joonmyeon squeaked, scrambling against the sheets and moving away from the door.

The latter expected the younger one to move away fast and run behind him or something of the sort, so that the both of them can cry hard as they were being haunted, but instead, the younger one growled and slid off the bed, marching towards the door and opening it wide.

"Sehun!" Joonmyeon cried, shocked at his doings. "What're you doing- you're letting the ghost in!"

He heard Sehun tch before his roommate yelled, "I told you a million times, no, I am not allowing you to date my roommate! For 's sake, he can't see, hear, touch or even smell you!"

Joonmyeon shut up, completely shocked.

"And even if he did, he's too hot to date an ugly old spirit like you," Sehun muttered before he closed the door with a bang.

A heavy silence fell between the two.

Footsteps echoed down the hallway again. Sighing in frustration, Sehun opened the door again.

"No. I like him. He. Is. Mine." Sehun growled, then banged the door closed. Again.

Another silence slipped between them. The latter slowly turned back to bed, dragging his feet across the carpeted floor and slid in between the sheets again, knocking out in an instant.



The next morning, Joonmyeon cornered Sehun in the kitchen with a very, very confused look on his face. He poked the younger's waist.

"Hmm?" Sehun turned around, then skittered away when he noticed who it was. "Oh. Morning." He immediately looked down, avoiding eye contact with the elder roommate.

"Sehun."

Said man turned away, bluntly ignoring the elder's existence, and briskly walked to the other side of the kitchen. Joonmyeon followed his every step.

"Sehun." Poke. "Will you explain to me what happened last night?"

Said man turned the other way around, this time heading towards his own bedroom. Joonmyeon followed his every step.

"Sehun." Poke. "You can see ghosts."

Said man turned around again, this time headed for the entrance of the apartment.

"Sehun. You think I'm hot."

Said man turned around a full circle, wondering where he can run to.

"Sehun." Poke. "You like me."

Said man frowned, turned to his left and plopped straight onto the couch, promptly turning on the TV and turning the volume up. Joonmyeon sat down too, closing any distance between the both of them.

"Sehun." Jab. "Answer me. Now." Joonmyeon used his No-Nonsense Voice.

The younger man finally reacted, groaning and burying his face in his hands. "Yes yes yes," he replied hurriedly. "Yes to all. Jeez."

Joonmyeon paused, his hands freezing in the air, unsure of what to do. Slowly, he put them back down on his lap again and sat primly next to his roommate. The atmosphere became stiff and awkward again.

Sehun frowned as he tried to focus very hard on the news and controlling the colour on his face. He wasn't blushing. Totally not.

They watched TV for a few minutes in silence after that. Then, the man next to him mumbled something audible. He wasn't sure whether it was directed to him or not, so he ignored it and continued watching TV.

"Hey," Joonmyeon pouted, nudging Sehun with his elbow. "I said... Did you hear what I said?"

"What?" Sehun drew out unrelectantly, almost whiny.

"I said-" Joonmyeon took a deep breath. "I said I like you too, dammit."


("So there really was a ghost in your apartment?" Luhan asked in a high pitched tone, bubbling with glee.

"Yes." Joonmyeon answered. It hadn't been five minutes since they met and he already wanted to go back home.

Luhan laughed loudly, banging the table with his hands. His girlfriend, Minseok, frowned in concern and scooted a bit farther away from him.


Later on, all of Joonmyeon's friends, namely Luhan and Baekhyun, had dubbed Sehun as "Joon's Exorcist Boyfriend.")

end.


a/n to those who subscribed to "kjm drabbles" and "let me take care of you", I'm so so so sorry for deleting them ;m; School's rolled around and I've been kept busy again, so I couldn't write anything, even if I wanted to ;m; don't worry, I still have "let me take care of you" in my laptop but I'm not sure if I'll ever finish it TT-TT

as for "kjm drabbles", I definitely know for sure that I will republish it again, when I have actually written a kjm drabble oops :x I don't know when, but I'll try my best anyway

anyway, I hope y'all enjoyed this story and please leave me a comment! -w-