Small Towns & Magic

Postcards From the Girl in Motion

 

 

Seulgi stood at the edge of the line-marked field and watched happily as colors flitted past her. Green and gold blurred in the viewfinder of her camera as she snapped photos. It was exciting and nerve-wracking to be right on the edge of the action. She’d slowed her shutter speed and tried to catch those running in motion on her SD card, but , she allowed herself moments to take in the athletic ability displayed before her.  The rules played through her mind and she paid close attention to the man in stripes when he whistled and made a call.

“Ever been to a game before?” a strange voice called out beside her.

She took her left eye away from the camera and looked to where the voice was coming from. Someone else—a young man—was standing there with a camera in his hand as well.

“No, never have,” Seulgi answered, “It’s fun though. I’m glad I got this place as a location to shoot.”

“I always have to shoot it,” the boy said woefully, “Every Friday night in the fall. I work for the school newspaper and they always assign the football games to me. I’m Drew by the way.” He stuck out his hand.

“That’s a great place to start though Drew,” Seulgi said, she took his hand and shook it, “I’ve shot a few sporting events before too, but I usually don’t enjoy it like I’m enjoying this one.”

“Where do you work?”

“Oh, I own my own company in Seoul, South Korea called Kang Studios, but right now I’m freelancing for a magazine.”

“Anything I would have heard of?” Drew asked, “I stay up to date on photo journalists and magazines.”

“Maybe,” Seulgi smirked, and then she gave the name of the prestigious publication and the boy’s mouth opened wide and stayed there.

“But that’s—“

“The biggest travel magazine in the world?” Seulgi chuckled.

“Yes,” Drew gulped, “And they sent you to this little town in Iowa?”

“They did,” Seulgi said, “But wherever you are there’s a new and exciting shot to take. Even somewhere as small as a high school football game in a tiny town in Iowa. There’s always an adventure to find, a treasure hidden. You just need to polish what you’ve already found, this place is beautiful in it’s own way. Everyone’s here from town right?”

The teen looked into the stands, “Yeah, pretty much. There’s not much to do around here on Saturday night besides this and the Dairy Queen down the street.”

“Well,” Seulgi said, “It may seem that there are more important things going on in the world besides this game, and there are. Many more serious and important events are happening, but right now we’re here and we’re doing our jobs, and we’re watching the people of this small town pulse together and get behind the team on the field. It’s magic. That’s what you should see in this. Magic.”

The young man nodded, “Do you mind if I stay here with you? I feel like I have a lot to learn.”

“Stay with me and shoot. Just keep shooting. The good shots will come soon, and the great ones with more time.”

“Thanks.”

“No problem,” Seulgi said, “Can I ask you a favor though?”

“Sure.”

“Will you take a picture of me on my phone?”

“Yes, of course.”

“We need to find a helmet and borrow it for a minute though,” Seulgi explained.

“I can do that,” the boy said. He rushed away, found the helmet and came back over.

“Thanks, here’s my phone,” Seulgi put on the helmet and posed, “This is for my girlfriend back home. She doesn’t know what I’m shooting in Iowa, only knows that I’m here.”

Seulgi smiled brightly as the young man aimed the camera phone at her, “No smiling, Miss Kang, this is football. Put your game face on.”

They both laughed and Seulgi changed her pose.

 

-----

 

After the game, the night closed in around the stadium and the crowd left, and Seulgi sat on the bleachers and got her gear together. The clean-up crew were doing their jobs, and the student trainers were packing up the equipment needed for next week’s away game.

Seulgi felt a tap on her shoulder and turned around to see the young man and a friend beside him.

“Miss Kang, this is my girlfriend, Sam.”

“Hey, Sam,” Seulgi answered with a wave.

“Hello Miss Kang, I play in the band, so Drew’s been waiting for me.”

“Seulgi, call me Seulgi from now on.”

“I just wanted to thank you again for letting me hang around you tonight, Miss K—Seulgi. It was really eye-opening. Maybe someday I’ll get to travel the world like you and cover important stories, but for now, I’ll be content with Friday night,” Drew explained.

“It was no trouble Drew, keep working hard okay?”

“I will.”

“If you ever get around to Seoul, look me up and you can check out my studio,” Seulgi said

“I’m sure that will be another ten years,” Drew said, “But I’ll keep that in mind.”

Seulgi stood up from the bleachers and walked with the couple out of the stadium.

“I’ve just realized that I don’t have a ride back to my hotel,” Seulgi said.

“We’ll take you wherever you need to go, Seulgi,” Sam said.

“Really?”

“Yeah, sure,” Drew answered, “As long as you don’t mind my old pick-up truck.”

“No,” Seulgi said, “I don’t mind at all. I need help anyway.”

“With?” Sam wondered.

“Picking out a photo to send my girlfriend from the ones we took on the field.”

“Sam will help you with that,” Drew said, “She’s great at selfies.”

“He’s right,” Sam smiled, “I’ll help you.”

“Thanks.”

The three of them walked to Drew’s truck and headed to drop Seulgi off at her hotel.

 

-----

 

Wendy got the DVD ready in the living room while Joy, Yeri, and Irene worked in the kitchen to get snacks ready for their movie marathon.

“Should I pop buttered or regular?” Yeri asked as she stared at the bags of popcorn.

“Just do regular,” Joy said, “We’ve already got a snack feast prepared, the least we can do is skimp on butter.”

Irene’s eyes crinkled with her signature smirk, “Yeah plain is fine. We’ve got chips and candy and cookies and soda already.”

“Besides that it’s only noon,” Joy said, “Let’s not over do it.” Yeri picked up the regular bag of popcorn, put it in the microwave and turned the power on. The corn began to pop and Yeri watched as the bag circled round and round.

Just then a squeal rushed its way from the living room straight from Wendy’s mouth and startled the three of them.

“Do you think she’s alright?” Joy asked.

“She’s fine,” Yeri said, as the bag twirled,“That was an excited squeal. I could tell.”

They let the popcorn finish in the microwave and then took their snacks to the living room and sat them on the coffee table in front of a wide-eyed, smirking Wendy.

“What were you yelling about earlier?” Joy asked, “We could hear you over the popcorn in the microwave.”

“This photo of Seulgi that she just sent me. She was at a football game earlier in the night her time. She’s just now sent it. The game she was at must have just ended.”

“Oh American-Style?” Irene asked.

“Yeah,” Wendy said, “She’s too cute, someone put a helmet on her and took a photo.” Wendy passed the phone around for everyone to see.

They all laughed at the mean face pose she was doing and agreed she was cute.

“Text her back, and then let’s start the movie.”

“Okay,” Wendy grinned.

 

-----

 

Wendy: Hey cutie ;)

Seulgi: I’m really glad you think so. That I’m a cutie I mean.

Wendy: Trust me, you are. Didn’t know you’re a football fan.

Seulgi: I am tonight for sure. I had fun.

Wendy: Good.

Seulgi: Met a kid from the school paper here, he helped me with the photo I sent. His girlfriend helped me pick out the selfie I sent.

Seulgi: And I gave him some advice. He seemed really eager. I think he just needed a new perspective.

Wendy: I’m grinning so hard right now, you’re too cute, glad you made it to your hotel safely.

Seulgi: I did, they were nice and gave me a ride too. Anything fun going on back home?

Wendy: Movie marathon all day, we’ve just started.

Seulgi: Fun, snacks too?

Wendy: Plenty, maybe too many!

Seulgi: That’s okay, balance, remember?

Wendy: I remember.

Seulgi: K. have fun, I’m going to see what I have on the SD and do some editing.

Wendy: Can we FaceTime later?

Seulgi: Sure, I’ll call in a bit. Sneak away if you can, they might not enjoy our sugar-sweet words to one another.

Wendy: Call me in an hour, I’ll sneak away.

Seulgi: K. ttyl.

Wendy: Kisses.

 

-----

 

The hour passed and the movie was a thriller that Joy had picked out. Wendy looked to Irene as her phone rang, “It’s Seulgi on FaceTime. I’ll be right back.” She got up and walked to the bedroom.

Irene nodded, “Go, we’ll be here.” Irene sprawled on the couch and pretended to be asleep. She wasn’t enjoying the movie either, her pick was next.

“Thank you,” Wendy replied and Irene nodded with eyes closed. She picked up the call as she opened the bedroom door, and the site before her nearly stopped her heart. Seulgi in a low cut white tank top and tight boy shorts. Wendy’s brain short-circuited and she did a double take.

Seulgi smiled, “Like my apparel?”

“Are you seriously asking that question right now?”

“Yes, for a friend,” Seulgi joked.

“I love it. But I’m just in sweats and a hoodie, nothing y like you’ve got on.”

“I don’t know,” Seulgi said, “Sweats are pretty darn y.”

They both laughed.

“Okay,” Wendy said, “But are you wearing a br—“

“No,” Seulgi interrupted, “What you see is what I have on. The tank and the shorts. That’s it.”

“Well then…” Wendy gulped.

“Too much?” Seulgi teased.

“I’d say too little.  My heart and eyes are bugging out here,” Wendy answered, “But I’m not going to complain, you’re beautiful.”

“Thanks,” Seulgi said shyly, “Did you escape the movie?”

“Yes, for now. I’ll need to go back in a bit, but I wanted to see you first,” Wendy explained.

“Good, will you add sporting events to our list of things to do when I get back?”

“Did you have a good time tonight?”

“Yes.”

“Good,” Wendy said, “I like sports so I’ll add it to the list. It’ll be fun. We’ve already been to baseball.”

“True, but let’s pick something wild.”

“Like speed-skating?” Wendy joked.

“Sounds good to me,” Seulgi smiled.

“You look really cute and comfortable right now. I want to snuggle with you,” Wendy said.

Seulgi nodded, “I could use a good snuggle or cuddle or kiss.”

“Me too.”

Seulgi winked.

“You look hot too,” Wendy explained, “Cute and hot are looks you are able to pull off at the same time. I didn’t think it was scientifically possible, but  it is.”

“Really?”

“Yes, there’s no one quite like you in this world and I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

“Thanks baby.”

“So, tell me more about your new friends,” Wendy asked.

“Alright,” Seulgi chuckled, “Their names are Drew and Sam. Drew was the school photographer. We talked about making the best of your situation. He seemed to think he’s being creatively stifled, and I can see how he would think that, small town and everything. I told him this place is magic on Friday nights. I don’t know if he agreed at first, but I think I convinced him. He seemed to get it.”

Wendy nodded, “Is it really magic?”

“Yes,” Seulgi said simply, “It is. The whole town showed up like they were enchanted or something. It was awesome. All this fanfare for a high school football game.”

“You seem to have hit the jackpot in terms of locations. Scotland, Montréal, Iowa.”

“Maybe,” Seulgi replied, “But you’re the most magical of all. It’s you that made me believe in it again.”

“I think anyone looking at you right now would conclude that you’re the magician,” Wendy chuckled, “That tank top is doing untold wonders.”

“I’m serious,” Seulgi said, “You’re made of light and stars and love.”

“And baked goods?”

“God, I wish,” Seulgi laughed, “You’re sweet like baked goods though, my cinnamon roll.”

“Too fluffy, too cheesy,” Wendy cringed.

“So what?” Seulgi winked. Her eyes were getting heavy as she sunk lower into her pillow.

Wendy noticed and tried to maintain their conversation, “Joy picked a terrible movie, and I want to stay on FaceTime with you forever.”

Seulgi yawned.

“See? Even you can tell that the movie is boring,” Wendy chuckled, “Sleepy?”

“I’m really sleepy,” Seulgi suddenly whined, “Too many timezones.”

“Go to bed, we can do this again tomorrow if you want, plus I’d better get back to our friends before they decide to join us in our bedroom.”

“I might have to take you up on that, my eyes feel really heavy right now,” Seulgi said, “And by the way, the bedroom is off limits to them.”

“Don’t worry, I’m in complete agreement with you there. Our bed’s just for us. I wish I could tuck you in and sing you to sleep.”

“Me too, me too,” Seulgi yawned again. She got up with phone in hand and turned back the covers, “I think it’s time to hang up. You know I’d rather stay up and talk though, right?”

“I know,” Wendy hummed a tune as she watched Seulgi climb under the covers, “Sleep well, teddy bear.”

Seulgi’s eyes were closed but she whispered, “I love you, sorry I’m so sleepy.”

“You’re honestly incredibly cute right now, I won’t deny you your bed. Sleep tight and we’ll talk tomorrow.”

“Okay. Night.”

The call cut off and Wendy smiled. She tucked her phone in her pocket and headed back into the real world.

The three stared at her as she walked back in, “Good chat?” Irene asked.

“Yep, she was really tired so I let her go to sleep.”

“Cool,” Yeri said, “You didn’t miss much in the movie.”

Yeri put her hand up to so Joy couldn’t see and mouthed, “It’s Boring,” to Irene and Wendy.

“Good,” Wendy said, “Very good.” Irene and Wendy both chuckled.

She plopped down next to Irene, stuffed her hand in the bowl of popcorn, and settled back into the couch to continue the marathon.

 

-----

 

After the second movie—Irene’s more interesting choice—Irene and Wendy found themselves back in the kitchen for more drinks.

“I want to go see Seulgi when she’s in Taiwan,” Wendy blurted out as Irene was bent over in front of the fridge. She’d meant to bring the topic up casually, but it was eating away at her mind and she needed to tell someone—Irene being her choice of person.

“What?” Irene asked, her eyebrows furrowed in curious concern.

“I want to go see her when she gets to Taiwan. Surprise her. Is that even possible?” Wendy asked, “I didn’t mean to blurt it out like that by the way.”

“I’m…not sure. It should be possible. When did you decide this?”

“The other day. I wouldn’t stay long, and I know her work is the priority. I just—“

“—wanted to see her?” Irene cut in.

“Yes.”

Irene nodded, “I think we can arrange it, yes I’m sure of it.”

“Okay. Cool.”

“Alright, help me with these drinks?”

“Yes, unnie,” Wendy said, “Sorry. I didn’t think I could convince you to let me go.”

“I don’t need to be convinced,” Irene smiled, “She’ll be glad of the surprise. She’ll be glad to see you.”

Wendy smiled in return, “I really hope so.”

 

-----

 

Thank you so much for checking out my story, for subscribing and for your awesome comments.

follow me on twitter @snapshotsandink

Be back soon with Chapter 5!