Chapter 3

The Mirror Poltergeist

Sunggyu slowly met Hoya's eyes. "He disappeared?"

Hoya nodded. "He saw another room like you did. I couldn't see the room he was talking about, so to me it looked like he just walked right through the wall."

Sunggyu glanced at the wall behind Hoya. There were small lanterns lining the top along with the bright light illuminating from the roof, but no entrances to any other rooms.

"He said he saw Sungjong and Sunggeol." Hoya added.

Sunggyu looked back at him. "Woohyun?"

"Yeah."

"I saw Myungsoo." Sunggyu glanced behind him.

"Really? Did he say something to you?" Hoya asked.

"...he said there's a woman who steals souls that lives in this place. In order to get him and the others out, we have to kill her."

"A woman?" Hoya raised his eyes.

Sunggyu nodded. "Myungsoo called her a monster. She needs souls to stay alive and become stronger. She plays around with your mind and then takes your soul." Sunggyu said lowly.

"...well how are we going to kill her? Did Myungsoo say?"

"He said he didn't know."

"Well that's helpful." Hoya sighed.

"How do you kill something like this...?" Sunggyu lowered his head and crossed his arms.

Hoya didn't respond, thinking hard as well.

Neither of them spoke for several seconds until Sunggyu was startled by a gasp from Hoya.

"What?" Sunggyu stared at Hoya.

Hoya was staring down the pink hallway with wide eyes. Sunggyu turned in the same direction immediately only to find nothing out of the ordinary.

"I-It's Dongwoo." Hoya said quietly. "Can't you see him?"

Sunggyu looked back at Hoya. "No I can't. What is he doing?"

"H-he's just standing there."

"Say something!"

"...Dongwoo hyung!"

There was a long pause of silence.

"...did he respond?" Sunggyu asked.

Hoya shook his head. "He's just staring at us."

Sunggyu turned to where Hoya was looking. "Hey Dongwoo, answer us! Don't be silly in a time like this!"

More stagnant silence followed until Hoya let out a small sigh. "He said hello."

Sunggyu sighed. "That's all you have to say? Can't you give us any advice on how to get you and the others out of this hell?"

After another pause, Hoya slowly lowered his head. "He said he's watching us."

Sunggyu stared at Hoya unbelievably. "That's all?!"

"His tone is different. It's too serious."  Hoya added.

"Oh my god this kid..." Sunggyu shook his head and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Wait...are you seeing him through a mirror?"

"...No, I don't see any mirrors. Just him." Hoya replied.

Sunggyu's face narrowed in confusion. "Then how can you see him and I can't? I could talk to Myungsoo before but only through the reflection of the mirror in the bedroom."

"Wait, he's saying something." Hoya quickly held up his hand to Sunggyu. After a couple seconds, Hoya took a step forward. "He said he wants us to follow him!"

Sunggyu glanced down the hall warily. "Hoya...I think you really are hallucinating right now. If you don't see a mirror, the Dongwoo you're talking to might not be real."

"What sense does that make?! Sunggyu, he gave us an invitation to follow him! He must know something we don't!" Hoya turned to Sunggyu shocked.

"What about Woohyun? We need to be here and talk to him when he comes back." Sunggyu said, clearly not comfortable trusting the Dongwoo Hoya was talking to.

"...you think I'm going crazy?" Hoya asked quietly. "You don't trust me anymore?"

"Of course I do!" Sunggyu's eyes raised a little. "But we have to make sure Woohyun comes back safely! You care about him too, don't you?"

Hoya's gaze turned toward the end of the hallway. "...He said you're a bad liar."

Sunggyu glared. "Who are you going to trust? Someone only you can see or the person you arrived here with?"

Hoya didn't respond for a long time. "...I think we should split up."

"Absolutely not." Sunggyu replied immediately.

"Why not? We would get a lot more accomplished, wouldn't we?"

"If we split up, the woman monster thing will probably have an easier time making us both completely insane. If we are together, we can reason with each other and convince each other to remain sane."

Hoya didn't respond.

At that moment, a sudden thump sounded from the wall behind Hoya, making him and Sunggyu jump and turn to it. Right in front of their eyes, a single arm reached out from the wall.

"Help! Someone help!!" Woohyun's voice was muffled behind the pink wall.

Sunggyu and Hoya quickly pulled on the arm until Woohyun's entire body was pulled out of from the wall. He collapsed onto the floor with Sunggyu and Hoya leaning down on either side of him.

"You okay?" Sunggyu asked, shaking him a little.

"J-just wait a minute..." Woohyun's voice was shaky and his breathing was irregular.

Sunggyu saw Hoya turn toward the end of the hallway out of the corner of his eye but didn't say anything.

"I-I saw...Sungjong and Sungyeol." Woohyun breathed, straightening up and leaning his back against the wall. His face was covered in a cold sweat and his eyes were clamped shut.

"Did you see any mirrors too?" Sunggyu asked.

"Yeah but... They were all around us. On the walls and the ceiling too. And on the floor."

"Were Sungjong and Sungyeol speaking to you through any of those mirrors?"

Woohyun slowly shook his head. "No. We were all sitting together in the room."

Sunggyu let out a small sigh. "What did they tell you?"

"...there's a woman who needs souls to keep living. She lives in this place."

Sunggyu nodded. "I saw Myungsoo. He told me the same thing."

Woohyun looked at Sunggyu. "You saw Myungsoo?"

Sunggyu nodded. "But he didn't say how to kill the woman...we need to figure that out."

Woohyun blinked. "Kill the woman?"

"Yeah, the woman that is keeping our friends here as prisoners. You remember why we came here, right?"

"...Sungjong and Sungyeol seemed happy." Woohyun said, clearly confused.

"What?"

"They never spoke about being prisoners. They just mentioned the woman like she was just any ordinary person."

Sunggyu shook his head. "No that can't be right! They must not be themselves!"

"And Myungsoo was himself just because he spoke to you through a mirror?" Hoya asked suddenly.

Sunggyu looked at him. "I..."

"It's two against one, hyung...I think it's safe to assume you're the one who got the unreal Myungsoo."

"But...this doesn't make any sense!" Sunggyu shook his head. "Why would Sungjong and Sungyeol say they aren't in any pain? And why would Dongwoo tell us to follow him? It could be a trap! If we see any mirrors, we could lose our minds!"

Woohyun silently looked from Hoya to Sunggyu.

"...maybe being together like this isn't keeping us sane." Hoya said quietly.

"But--"

"I really think we should split up. We can trust our own instincts and not be persuaded by anyone else about something different they think is happening."

"But we already know that our points of views are different!" Sunggyu replied.

"Then we'll only become more insane, letting the woman take us over more easily."

Sunggyu didn't respond. He didn't think about that.

"So if we're alone and we convinced ourselves that what we see if real, then it'll be harder for us to become crazy." Hoya said.

Sunggyu continued to remain silent, thinking through that option. Woohyun slowly lowered his head.

"...I don't want to wander around this place alone." Woohyun admitted quietly.

"...we just might have to." Sunggyu sighed and closed his eyes. "Staying together like this could be trouble."

Hoya's gaze shifted to the floor and he didn't say anything more.