b is for (broken) bliss

Black Cat

Its twenty minutes later when he reaches the fountain in the middle of the city, one of the more peaceful areas with a few benches stationed around the so-called garden that the community club had planted.

His companion is seen sniffing a chocolate croissant, a black guitar case resting against his legs.

“Park Chanyeol!” he shouts above the chatter, jogging forward.

“You’re late,” Chanyeol sniffs, a look of mock anger on his face, agitating Kyungsoo.

“Shut up.” He snaps back at him.

The taller man stands up with his guitar, instantly rising above Kyungsoo who rolls his eyes, and they walk side by side downtown.

A small while later, they reach one of the busier parts in the city. The duo effectively stationed themselves close to a music store where they hope will attract more attention.

Wordlessly, Chanyeol slides the zipper down and brings the golden-brown, acoustic guitar out of the case, his hands gentle as he tunes the instrument with expertise.

While he does that, Kyungsoo takes the discarded bag and lays it in front of them, the strap of the case hooked on his ankle for extra precaution.

Everything starts with a soft strum of the guitar before fluid notes and poetic lyrics pour out of Kyungsoo’s mouth as Chanyeol backs him up with his well-practiced playing, the occasional backing notes flying out from his throat, a deeper tone that accompanies Kyungsoo’s choir-boy voice – they go together like cookies and cream, smooth and sweet.

Melodies waltz from Chanyeol’s guitar and dissipate into the faint trace of voices in the distance, a hush is created as a ring of onlookers stop to see the performance, a fair string of women taking photos with their smartphones.

The fourth song ends when Kyungsoo finishes of with a particularly high note and Chanyeol strums the guitar thrice, before the resonation of the harmony hangs in the air.

Coins rain from fingertips and crisp paper notes from those who are particularly generous, someone is asking Chanyeol if she can talk a selca with him. He says yes.

Kyungsoo hums as he kicks the guitar case, unveiling a handful more coins underneath the first layer, he thinks the case holds approximately eighteen thousand Korean won, enough for a lunch he and Chanyeol can share at a sushi store or a local burger place.

The girl’s finished chatting with them, and Kyungsoo spots a candy wrapper someone seems to have dropped in the guitar case.

He can see that there are actually two of them, a hot-pink one with a strawberry design on top blanketing a second one that seems to be white and glossy, some sort of film.

Just as he’s reaching for the wrapper, a stranger that seems to have been watching for a while comes and picks it out from amongst the coins, then trotting off. Kyungsoo frowns as he peers at the man’s retreating back, scooping the coins into a small cloth pouch.

Chanyeol scratches his head. “Maybe he was disposing of it for us?” he suggests.

Kyungsoo shrugs and they walk off to a fast-food joint, talking about milkshake flavours.

They each end up with a hot-dog and a medium-sized milkshake, Kyungsoo has vanilla flavor and Chanyeol coffee, each combo was only five thousand and three hundred won, Kyungsoo considers running off with the remaining money to scare Chanyeol with, not like there’s much left anyway.

Chanyeol blinks up at the sky, it’s getting cloudy but the sun is still overhead and Kyungsoo realizes how pretty the other male’s eyes are, the brown eyes that pick up the variations of sunlight, making flecks of gold appear, his pupil an inky dot against.

“You know, Kyungsoo,” Chanyeol  starts,  “your voice is so pretty, I wish mine sounded more like it.” He says wistfully, a grin worming the side of his lips up.

“But I like yours.” Comes a fast reply.

“It’s grumbly.”

“But somehow smooth as well, I think.”

“I don’t know what you mean.”

“Kinda like painting over dried sand grains,” Kyungsoo thinks out loud. “Its smoother but you can still feel the individual texture of the sand.””

Chanyeol nods in understanding, feigning a calm expression, but it’s obvious that his friend’s statement has made him happy.

It makes Kyungsoo’s insides giddy with laughter.

Since they have nothing better to do, the Chansoo duo start up another round of busking in a new location, gracing the city with strong of guitar chords to a depressing ballad and the soft plucks of strings to a lulling tune that the pair gift to a middle-aged mother.

Soon enough, their coin pouch is full and they’ve both pocketed the paper bills.

According to their system, it’s Chanyeol’s turn to take the pouch home today, saving for another time that they go out together again, so that they can spend this small prize money, guilt-free.

They decide to go for some coffee before splitting up.

Both of them order a medium sized chocolate frappe and a cookie to share, it’s shortbread, Kyungsoo remembers that it’s Chanyeol’s favourite.

“Hey, Kyungsoo,” Chanyeol prompts.

“What.” Kyungsoo looks up from his drink, but his eyes are met with Chanyeol’s large hand.

“Your hair is so fluffy. I want to pet you.”

“Don’t say that when you’ve already started petting me.” Kyungsoo hisses.

Chanyeol laughs.

The time is almost 4pm and Chanyeol has to take the subway to get back home, out of town.

They see each other off in front of a funny little store with a sign that reads ‘2000 WON SHOP’, Chanyeol turns back and waves at Kyungsoo as he boards the vehicle, eyes shining as the subway hisses and the doors close.