6th Grade Minho

Only You

Choi Minho.

Everybody knew who Choi Minho was.

Yeah, he was that little guy.

That little guy who was younger than everybody else.

By now, most sixth graders were 11, 12, or even 13 years old. But little Choi Minho was only 10 years old.

 

Young, innocent and naive Choi Minho.

 

He happened to be younger than everybody else because at a young age, he moved from Korea to the states; specifically Washington. No, not D.C., the state in the west coast. Most kids his age in the states were still at home, learning how to read and such. Minho had already started school in Korea, so his parents enrolled him into school. The school had him take a placement test; he was only supposed to be in Kindergarten... But his results showed that he could be placed in a third grade class. Minho's parents wanted him to be ahead, but not too far ahead, so they chose to put him in a second grade class instead. They also put him in an after-school ESL class for the duration of that year even though it was clear that Minho already knew English.

 

So that's how Minho ended up being the youngest in his grade every single year. Whenever somebody would come up to him for a conversation, he was treated with respect at first. However upon hearing how old he was, Minho was treated like a baby.

 

On in class or during group projects, students would say things like;

 

- No Minho, this is too difficult. I'll do it!

 

- Minho, you'll hurt yourself if you cut that! Here, let me do this and just glue this down instead.

 

- You're too young to understand this... Let me explain it to you~

 

Minho understood that the students were just concerned for his well-being. But... It was kind of annoying, because Minho really did know what he was doing. He never really tried to voice it out though, thinking it was disrespectful to talk back to older kids.

 

Minho could only sigh, and do what the other kids told him to do.