the deal

환영 (PHANTOM)



 

he made sure the papers given to him by sungjong were secure in his pocket and followed woohyun to what seemed to be his office. the door shut behind him and sunggyu shifted awkwardly on his feet as woohyun made his way to his desk and sat down, hands resting on the glass surface.

 

“alright, tell me the truth.” woohyun spoke out. “can you really see ghosts?”

 

“i can,” sunggyu replied, “unfortunately.”

 

“so that elevator was like that because of a ghost”

“yeup.”

 

 

the frown on woohyun’s face made sunggyu roll his eyes, “what do you expect me to say? listen, i’m not too proud of my ability, in fact i rather hate it. do you know how horrible it is to live your life seeing the souls of others who didn’t make it to the afterlife? do you realize how scary it can be? how much sleep i lose? sorry if i’m not all ready to spill my secrets to you.”


 

“wait-”

 

“no, i dont want to wait. i had come in here to ask you why when we touch they go away. to see if you knew, but you just think i’m crazy don’t you?”

“what do you mean when we touch...they go away?”

, did he really say that? sunggyu looked away and closed his eyes.

 

“it doesn’t matter.”

 

“it kind of does matter. what do you mean?”

 

it’s embarrassing, he realizes, the fact that the other man’s touch is what keeps those spirits away, he opens his eyes and looks toward woohyun. should he explain? or should he just walk out right now?

 

if he didn’t catch woohyun’s gaze, he probably would have turned and left but something about the way the other man stared at him caused sunggyu to spill it all.

 

“i accidently bumped into you a few weeks ago,” he began, “when i touched you the ghosts went away. and then they left again when i grabbed your wrist. after you left, they returned.”

 

“...and you don’t know why?” woohyun’s eyes narrowed, head tilting somewhat to the side.

 

“i don’t.”

 

the other man didn’t speak, eyes locked on the floor - it was as if sunggyu could see the cogs turning in his head.

 

“so you can see these ghosts… do you see anything here now? sometimes it feel like…kind of like there’s someone watching me...y’know?”

 

at this sunggyu stood straighter and blinked curiously at woohyun, he felt as though someone was watching him? glancing around, sunggyu couldn’t really see anything, but the spirits don’t always want to be seen. he takes a step forward and moves slowly about the room, taking in how it feels just a little bit colder than it probably should. he his lips and closes his eyes before giving a small sigh.

 

“well, i wouldn’t be surprised.” he muttered, eyes opening again. “they’re everywhere. usually the one’s who are lingering around are either past lovers or family -- or even those who want revenge.”

 

he turns around to face woohyun and a brow, “you know. i could stick around you. make sure that the ghost is here or not.” …. and maybe test out this touch thing. sunggyu figures if he’s around the man enough then maybe he can figure out how this works.

 

and to his surprise, woohyun agrees.


 


 

“anytime yien ah!” he called out to the younger woman, giving a small wave of his hand, “i’ll probably have to continue being sungjong’s errand boy.”

“i think he likes to tease you.” she mused, her fingers counting the papers in her hand. sunggyu pursed his lips and sighed, that’s for sure. another wave to the woman and he his heel and made his way back towards the elevator -- or no, how about the stairs this time around? he turned around quickly but didn’t notice the person behind him and ended up crashing right into them. they both gave a grunt and sunggyu luckily only stumbled back slightly. he blinked a few times and noticed pale skin and dark hair and … sunglasses?

“watch it,” the man mumbled, “you could’ve hurt me.”

“um, sorry?”

“sorry?.... do you know who i am?” the other raised his hands to his sunglasses and quickly slipped them off and sunggyu found himself squinting.

 

“i’m kim myungsoo! famous actor, and singer!”

“... myungsoo ah?” he mumbled, “the same myungsoo from high school?”

 

the words must’ve caught myungsoo off guard as he seemed to finally focus on sunggyu’s face, and when he did his demeanor completely changed. sunggyu watched as myungsoo suddenly grinned and threw his arms over sunggyu’s shoulders.

 

“gyu hyung!”

“holyshi-”

 

“i can’t believe it’s you! i’m so sorry i yelled at you like that. you wouldn’t believe how many douche bags i deal with.” myungsoo cried out, clinging onto him harder. sunggyu awkwardly wrapped his arms around myugnsoo’s waist and cleared his throat, looking around them to see that myungsoo’s enthusiasm definitely caused people to stare.

 

“myungsoo ah,” sunggyu muttered, “how about we catch up over lunch? i’m need to get back to work.”

 

myungsoo whined like the child sunggyu remembered him to be and released his death grip, sunggyu released a breath he didn’t realize he was holding and took a step back, myungsoo was smiling at him with that same boyish grin he had when he was fifteen and sunggyu kinda found himself smiling too. it had been a while since he’d seen the other, as during sunggyu’s senior year, myungsoo was scouted for this entertainment company and finished school with tutors while training. he was happy to see the other got to live his dream, at least one of them did.

 

“why do you work here? i would have thought you’d be singing in clubs.” myungsoo mused, “i mean, it’s a waste for you to be here of all places.”

“not everyone can be blessed with good looks and a voice like you myungsoo.” sunggyu laughed, reaching out to ruffle the younger’s hair. “i’m alright though, getting an education isn’t too bad.”

“but performing and living your dream is better.”

his words struck sunggyu hard, and he had to laugh a little to try and make it seem like he wasn’t affected, “yeah i bet it is. ah, geeze. talk more sweetly to your hyung! did you lose your respect for me while gaining fame?”

“no! i still really respect you gyu hyung.” myungsoo smiled and reached out to grab sunggyu’s hands, “i’ll come back again in a  few hours, where do you work?”

“at INFINITE, can’t miss it.”

“i’ll bring you food!”

sunggyu nodded with a smile at the other’s excitement, and watched as myungsoo slipped his sunglasses on and suddenly slipped his expression into a stoic one, the other walked off with a sort of pride in his step and sunggyu was left wondering how that eightteen year old kid managed to be so composed.

 

he stood there for a moment more before heading down the stairs to the first floor, his mind swarming with the words myungsoo threw at him, it was true. sunggyu had the same dream myungsoo had, or something similar. he had always loved to sing -- but with this damn curse of his, how was he supposed to live that dream? it would be horrible if he was suddenly on stage and a spirit appeared, distracting him from his performance. he decided to take the safer route and just sing at home in the shower.

 

“yah ! kim sunggyu, what took you so long?” sungjong called out, and sunggyu had to roll his eyes at the younger male.


 

he wondered how different his life would be.


 

a few hours of folding cloths and fixing displays past and myungsoo showed up as promised. turns out sungjong was a huge fan and practically threw sunggyu out of the shop saying that whatever myungsoo wanted he could have. sunggyu was slightly grateful for his younger friends popularity and the two of them caught up with each other in a near by cafe. myungsoo was currently filming a drama so he had a more flexible schedule, “it’s great,” he had said “we only film four times a week so i get the other three days off.”

sunggyu felt pride settle in, seeing how successful myungsoo had grown to be from how he was just a skinny little pretty boy in the school’s theatre class, he was happy for him.

 

after their lunch, myungsoo had to hurry off for a press conference and sunggyu found himself wandering around the mall, as sungjong had given him the rest of the day off due to myungsoo’s request. his hands were in his pockets and his mind was lost in the days events; how crazy they had all been. he met a child spirit with a sad story and his boss’s son basically hired sunggyu as his ghost detector, well sunggyu urged him too but for his own selfish reasons. he slipped his hand out of his pocket and stared at it for a moment, if he touched woohyun -- the spirits disappeared, but why? clenching his fist, sunggyu closed his eyes and slowed his steps to a stop.

 

right now, they were all around him, four to his left and two in front of him. his eyes opened again and he felt himself get tense, looking around he noticed woohyun across the fountain and quickly made his way over. it didn’t matter that he was talking to someone, sunggyu reached out and grabbed his wrist and then …

 

they were gone.

 

a breath left him and his shoulders relaxed and it was as though a weight was being lifted off them.

 

this interaction, what does it mean? questions swirled through his mind he needed answers.

 

“sunggyu?”

 

he glanced over to see woohyun looking at him with curious eyes, and the man next to woohyun seemed to be slightly unamused, sunggyu realized he was still holding woohyun’s hand and looked down --

 

“oh -- sorry.” he mumbled, releasing his grip and taking a step back. woohyun seemed to stare at him intently for a moment and sunggyu felt his cheeks warm in embarrassment. but they seemed to darken even more as woohyun reached out and grabbed his hand. the look in his eyes told sunggyu that he understood and sunggyu wanted to scream.

 

“kibum, this is sunggyu.” woohyun introduced him to the man next to him, “sunggyu, this is my secretary kibum. you’ll see him around a lot. he basically keeps my life in check.”

“without me he’d probably be dead.” kibum snorted, letting his eyes run over sunggyu’s and woohyun’s hands.

 

“so, what is sunggyu?”


“huh?”

kibum smirked and gestured to their hands and sunggyu found himself flushing, and quickly pulling his hand back, “sunggyu is nothing!” the brunette screamed, “i’m just a worker here. um, yeah -- i gotta go.”

embarrassment, it was suffocating as he quickly scurried off, not wanting to look back and see the expressions of the two males, he just wanted to go home. maybe call dongwoo and howon for a coffee break to vent his crazy day to the couple.


 

“he’s kinda cute,” kibum mused as they watched the worker walk off. woohyun set his gaze from the others retreating form, to his hand and frowned.

 

“is he?” woohyun questioned, turning his gaze to kibum. his secretary shrugged and looked down at his planner.


“in a kinda dorky way. his eyes are really tiny.”

“i like his eyes.”

kibum looked to woohyun with a raised brow and woohyun shrugged. “they seem to hold a lot more than what we see, ya know?”

“hmm, maybe.”

 

 


i'll be updating again next week! so look out for it c: also i'm a er for comments and upvotes !~