Page 26

Colors- A memoir of Layla Black
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

They made an announcement about my painting towards the end of the day. I was a beautiful work of art, yet they called it "vandalism," whatever. They have no idea who did it and that's all I care about. I sat down on the front steps of the school with my flower behind me off to my right. I was waiting for Kai to come out as I lifted my hands to the seemingly never-ending mist coming from the sky. I pulled my windbreaker tightly around my body. It was days like these that I loved; chilly, gloomy, and rainy. Most people I tell this too think I'm trying to use the rain as an idiosyncrasy. But, I've always been this way. There is something cozy about this weather. I watched my brown hand collect tiny droplets of water and the few curls that were exposed under my hood start to stick to my face. It was a soothing feeling really..to be in tuned with the things around me. My slice of tranquility was interrupted when Kai finally came bouncing down the stairs. We walked slowly to the subway station. 

The subway is the one thing about the city that makes me feel uneasy. When we get down to the platform I felt my chest get tight. All of the people walking around.The dirt I can feel it around me and the noise is deafening, The real anxiety comes when I can see the light of the train making its way down the tunnel. Suddenly I felt like the entire station was spinning and I was trying my best to look normal. The subway created a sort of vacuum that sent my hood flying off my head. Time began to slow down. I couldn't take it anymore. This was the answer. I went black and I was all alone. It would only take a second; one foot in front of the other. I closed my eyes...

 

"Layla!"

"Huh? Oh sorry. The noise was giving me a headache." I trie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter