1/1

Laughter Is The Best Medicine

'Laughter is the best medicine'. Daehyun scoffed. He never believed that because why did he feel more pain when he laughed? Could it be because the reason for him to laugh was the reason that's causing him the pain right now? Why does it hurt for him to smile, to laugh? Why does he not feel any better? He tipped the can of cheap beer, spilling its content into Daehyun's dry mouth. It burned his throat as it ran down, a slight tinge of bitterness lingering in his mouth. Bitterness. That was what he felt. Each time he tried to pull the corners of his mouth up, he felt bitterness. Plain bitterness and utter pain.

He stared out at the Han river and the people around him. Lovers showing small gestures of affection, and enjoying each other's presence. He looked down and closed his eyes to drown them out.

He didn't realise it when someone sat beside him until that person cleared his throat. Daehyun turned his head to see a man with chubby cheeks and a button-like nose. He raised an eyebrow questioningly at him.

“Can I sit here?” the man inquired.

“You're already sitting,” Daehyun muttered, mentally rolling his eyes.

The man turned slightly pink as he cleared his throat and shifted, smiling sheepishly. He stayed quiet for a moment before opening his mouth to introduce himself. The man's name was Youngjae. Daehyun too exchanged greetings and gave his name.

“Um.. So what are you doing here?” he asked.

Daehyun just stared ahead and shrugged, taking another gulp from the can he was clutching tightly in his hand. Suddenly, he felt warmth over his hand. He spun his head and it was her he saw. Daehyun called out her name softly as a wave of feelings and emotions flooded him. His voice that was cold and indifferent suddenly sounded fragile and frail that made him sound weak. It was as if he was hanging by a thread. However, he blinked and she was gone, replaced by an image of Youngjae staring at him with eyes full of concern and worry.

“It's because of her, isn't it?” Youngjae's eyes held emotions that could not be read and his voice was soft. “Tell me what happened.”

Daehyun remained silent as he stared blankly. His face void of any emotion, his eyes were unreadable. Youngjae opened another can of beer and pushed it towards Daehyun.

“Thought you might need another one to loosen up a bit,” Youngjae smiled caringly.

Daehyun could see his genuinity. He felt like he was stabbed in the heart a thousand times. She used to smile like that. Full of genuinity and care. Seeing that, he immediately turned away and poured the burning liquid down his throat. He took another glance at Youngjae before looking away.

“Why should I?” Daehyun felt like he knew what the other was about to say.

A beat.

“Because I care for you,” they chorused as Daehyun looked at the other.

With wide eyes full of surprise, Youngjae looked at Daehyun as he explained, “She used to say that.”

The other simply nodded his head silently as he sipped the cheap beer. They sat there in comfortable silence, neither bothering to initiate a conversation before Daehyun cleared his throat and opened his mouth to tell Youngjae what had happened. Daehyun himself doesn't know why he was spilling everything to a man he had just met but he had a gut feeling that this man, this man named Youngjae, was nothing but different. Different in what way? God only knows.

As every word that came out, as every phrase, and every sentence that came spilling out of Daehyun's mouth landed on Youngjae's listening ears, he felt a burden slowly being lifted. His heart was slowly healing, slowly breaking away from the restrains of agony and pain so that all that remained were just tears falling from Daehyun's eyes. Tears that symbolises the end of a chapter and the start of a new one. By the time Daehyun was finished, he was wrapped in Youngjae's arms, his face streaked with tears.

However, it didn't feel awkward or weird. It felt safe. It felt like home. Youngjae wiped Daehyun's pearly white tears with his thumb, not minding his tear-soaked shirt. Daehyun looked up at the latter and told him to say something, anything.

“Don't... Don't cry anymore, alright? I don't like seeing people cry so, I guess, you just have to laugh? Since, you know, laughter is the best medicine,” Youngjae spoke, his words careful and cautious.

For the first time in what felt like eternity, Daehyun didn't feel pain or despair. All he felt was numbness yet he still let a chuckle slip past his lips as he listened to what the other had said.

He laughed as if he had never laughed before. Tears ran down his face. Either from sadness or happiness, no one knows for sure. Youngjae didn't find any comical content in his words but seeing Daehyun laughing was enough to set him off as well.

Daehyun's heart felt light. He felt fresh, like a baby that had just been born yesterday. He laughed with Youngjae and burst into tears yet again as he grinned, pulling the other into a tight embrace.

“Thank you for making me this happy in such a long time,” Daehyun said.

Daehyun pulled away, smiling as he wiped the tears of mirth and despair away. He felt content and satisfied. Leaning his head on the other's head, he watched all the intimate lovers who were on cloud nine with one another and he felt happy. Happy for them and he was simply happy.

A happy sigh left his lips and he turned to lock eyes with Youngjae. They could virtually see their breaths mixing and suddenly, they were both very aware of their close proximity. Eyes fluttering and tongues darting out to wet their lips, they slowly inched forward. They looked in one another's eyes to receive confirmation. Was this what they really wanted? Are they misreading anything?

Their minds didn't have enough time to register what their bodies did as their lips met, eyes closed as their lips synchronised together to create a perfect harmony. Pulling apart, red and breathless, Daehyun let out a sheepish chuckle. For the first time in his life, he might just believe that laughter was definitely the best medicine.