The Porcelain Doll

The Porcelain Doll
Please log in to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]The Porcelain Doll[/CONTENTID1]
[CONTENTID2]by EeteuksAngel[/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]The little baby porcelain doll sat on the wooden shelf, admiring all the toys and playthings that had big smiles on their faces as little children held them tightly in a loving embrace. She smiled, thinking how lovely it would be if someone noticed her and decided to take her home. What fun it would be to play and laugh and sing and dance!

She tilted her head, watching the other toys. It was truly unfair, she thought. They were made of plastic and other more durable materials, which made it easier for them to have fun. They could climb shelves and run around the shop when the store master was not looking or after the shop was closed. They were always chosen by the children to go off with them on many adventures through jungles and deserts, traveling through space and time.

The porcelain doll sat back with a sigh. She wanted to do all those things too!

She leaned forward again, looking down at the shop below, her blonde curls bouncing slightly as she did so. She let out another sigh. None of the children ever looked up to the high shelf on which she was placed. Perhaps… maybe they couldn’t see her at all. Perhaps, if she found a way to get to a lower shelf, then just maybe some child would find her. She could have just as many adventures as the other toys!

She swung one leg over the edge and then the other, careful not to catch her dress on the rather uneven wood. She slowly tried to lower herself to the shelf below. The tip of one of her shoes tapped against the shelf below and she smiled, thinking that it would be a cinch to get both feet on the ledge.

However, as soon as her other foot met the edge, one of her hands gave way and she tumbled from the shelf. Frightened, she closed her eyes. Her body met the floor, but no real pain came. She held out her arms in front of her, turning them over to examine them. Not one scratch or crack. Surprised, she lifted up her dress discreetly, checking each leg to see if she was cracked. She was not broken.

She smiled, standing up rather triumphantly. See! Now she could go on many adventures. Perhaps she would be able to travel to the jungle on some mission of exploration…

As soon as she was about to dance with joy, a shadow fell over her. She looked up and saw a boy smirking at her.

“Hello there, little doll,” he said, his eyes shifting from her head to her toes.

She did not like the way he looked at her and found herself subconsciously backing up until her back hit the wall with a small clank of her small porcelain body.

“What’s the matter?” he asked drawing closer with an unusual look in his eyes.

The little doll could feel her heart pounding heavily, and her eyes grew wide with fear.

“I won’t hurt you…”

 

The porcelain doll awoke with a fright from one of the nightmares that haunted her from the memories of years ago. She lifted up the skirt of her dress, and in the moonlight streaming from the shop windows, she could see the large gash across her left thigh. Even though the pain had subsided long ago, the physical wound and the memory of the pain remained.

She tugged down at her skirt, covering her thigh back up. She pulled up her legs, wrapping her arms around them and rested her head on top. She let out a sigh and closed her eyes for a few moments.

Her eyes flickered open and she glanced over to the other dolls sleeping on the shelf, one older doll and three younger dolls, whom she affectionately referred to as her ‘mother’ and ‘sisters’. She smiled at them fondly, thankful to have them in her life. They were the ones that she loved and whom she enjoyed life with.

In the years since she had been a young baby doll, she had grown a lot, but had never really left the shelf unless if it was for the benefit of her sisters, like when a button would fall off a dress and roll down to the floor. No one bothered to look up at the shelf on which she sat, but she was not bothered by it. She still longed for adventure, but it was different now. It was safer just to stay on the shelf, especially now.

She glanced around at the toy shop. There were hardly any toys any more. It was not the happy, carefree place that it had been. The shop keeper had changed over the years and it was reflected in the lack of upkeep in the store. Shelves were dusty. Toys lay broken. The sign in the window was faded. Bills were strung across the register counter. An empty beer bottle was in the trash can, hidden under some crumpled newspapers.

The porcelain doll heaved a sigh and settled back down to sleep. Perhaps things would be better someday…

 

A loud slam caused the doll to stir. She jolted awake, scurrying to the edge of the shelf. It was still night, but the doll could see clearly because of the moonlight. She gulped as her eyes fell on the shop keeper. He stumbled across the floor, a bottle in one hand as he mumbled incoherent words.

The porcelain doll heard a whimper from behind her and turned to see her mother and sisters move closer to the wall. They were much more fragile than her, made of a finer glass. She scurried over, hiding them behind some of the doll furniture that were also on the shelf. As she moved a doll bed, it scraped loudly against the floor of the shelf.

Her eyes widened, knowing that the shop keeper had heard it. She gulped discreetly and sent her mother and sisters an encouraging smile and nod, telling them silently that everything would be alright.

She scurried to the edge of the shelf again as the heavy trudge of the shop keeper drew closer. She took a deep breath. She was porcelain, but she knew she would not break easily. She sent her mother and sisters one last smile as she was pulled from the shelf and thrown across the room.

She hit the wall with such a force that she was sure that she would crack. However, after she slid to the floor, she was surprised to find that she was still intact.

A shadow loomed over her and she looked up to see the shop keeper standing over her with a fierce glare.

Her heart quickened.

She glanced up towards the shelf where her family was and then took a gulp. She had to be strong for them. She took a deep breath and stood up, her legs shaking beneath her dress.

His loud voice boomed, throwing curses at her like they were punches.

She stood there, taking it all. It felt like with each curse thrown at her, a large weight was placed on her shoulders and she felt her arms and hands tremble. She clasped her hands tightly, trying to stop the trembling. She closed her eyes, taking in a deep breath.

That’s when she felt it. She hit the floor and heard a distinctive crack from where her knees made contact with the ground…

 

Night after night. Day after day. Days turned into weeks. Weeks into months. Months into years. She soon lost track of time. It felt like a never-ending cycle.

The porcelain doll awoke early, feeling tired and exhausted. She rubbed her eyes, yawning heavily. She sat up, restraining a groan. She lifted up her sleeves to see the large cracks that had formed over the past months. There was a small ruffle behind her and she quickly tugged her sleeves down. Her family did not need to see the cracks. She was strong enough to handle it, she told herself.

She turned around, sending her tired sisters a smile and a cheery ‘good morning!’ Early mornings before the shop opened were always the best, when they could just spend time together as a family. That’s what always kept her going.

The clocked ticked and soon it was time for the shop to open. When the store master did not appear, they began to grow anxious, wondering what would happen when he did arrive. His tempers were unpredictable.

Several days passed in which the shop keeper did not return to the shop.

<
Please log in to read the full chapter