Chapter Two - My story

In Damyang

6 January, 2009 (Tuesday)

"Krystal, you don't need to go school today," Seongheon sat by Krystal's bed and said. Krystal woke up with full of question marks. "Oh.. but why?" Krystal said while yawning. She did not slept well last night. Seongheon told Krystal the news he saw on the television last night.

Schools and works this week in Korea is off due the upcoming blizzard. The people must stay home this week so that no harm had caused. Thank you and we will inform you the latest news. Stay tuned.

Krystal looked worried. How about Gongyoo? He did not have a house to stay in. Seongheon seemed to notice Krystal's worry, and he comforted him by promising her he will bring Gongyoo inside the house. Seongheon brought a ladder and put it agaisnt the wall and climbed up the roof to make it stronger.

Krystal suddenly remembered something... She opened the boxes and the containers she brought in when she move in Seongheon's house. "Where's the video tape... the video tape, come out please!" she said while opening the boxes. An hour later, she decided to give up and rest on her bed. Out of the blue, when she wanted to "climb up" her bed, she saw a mini container under her bed. It was full of CDs and video tapes. "Where is it... where is it!" she opened the box and seemed to found a little video tape with a paper label on it: 1998, National Korea Sports.

Krystal opened the thick television in her bedroom and put in the video tape.

"Hello ladies and gentlemen, welcome to National Korea Sports 1998! I'm Yoo Jaesuk and I'm here to welcome the athletes with applause! Please come out on the field, athletes!"

"First, here we got Kim Yiyong, followed up by Lee Changhoon, and Lee Duhaeng, Lee Myongseung, Nam Sungyong, Sohn Keechung, Ji Youngjun, and lastly Kim Joonghyuk!"

"Any words before the race starts, Myongseung?" Jaesuk asked Myongseung. "Well, I felt nervous, but my best friend Joonghyuk doesn't felt like that. I can say he's pretty stable at the race." "Really? What do you think, Joonghyuk?" "Em, just do what I did on the practices." "Very confident! Okay, let's start the race!"

"HORN!!" the race starts. Every runners ran as fast as they could.

"Oh, Duhaeng chased up Yiyong! Here comes Changhoon going after Duhaeng! And.. Myongseung was the second after chasing up Changhoon! Keechung, Youngjun and Joonghyuk seemed to be relaxing!"

"Uh oh, Duhaeng, Yiyong, Changhoon and Myongseung are tired! And look at Keechung, Youngjun and Joonghyuk! They're the top three! Youngjun is almost there..... and Joonghyuk won the race! Woohoo!"

"So I guess Joonghyuk is the lover of omma." Krystal thought.

"Any words after winning the race?" "Yes! First, I need to thank my coach. He taught me how to race faster than others. And second, thanks to my family, who gave me confident and support, and of course all the ones who support me. Lastly, I want to thank my lover, Wooyeon, for supporting me the most instead of just sitting there. Really thanks to you all!"

Wooyeon is Krystal's mother. She felt weird because the next day after Joonghyuk won the race, he was gone. Was it Joonghyuk's jealousy spouse? Or Joonghyuk's best friend Myongseung? Or... was it even Krystal's mother or father? She felt very tired, so she aslept on the floor.


7, January 2009 (Wednesday)

"Krystal, you're a real heavy sleeper! You slept for almost a day!" Seongheon said while shaking Krystal to make her wake up. Krystal woke up and rubbed her eyes, because she did not believe that in front of her, was Gongyoo! 

"Gongyoo?" "Yeah?" "What're you doing here?" "Your uncle offered me for staying at his house for a week because of the blizzard!"

Krystal seemed to understand now, and asked Gongyoo his age. He said he was 36, and went for lunch. "Lunch?!" "Yes, lunch!" Seongheon replied Krystal. Krystal changed into her everydays, and went down for meal. After that, she realized that her uncle was gone, as she need to ask him for his help on her homework. She searched the house everywhere and gave up until she remembered something.

"I wonder if I could go there... uncle always stopped me from going there," but because of Krystal's curiousness, she tip-toed downstairs to the basement. The door was thick metal with a password lock, and whenever someone typed in the password, the monitor will inform Seongheon by sending a message to Seongheon. "How'd I do... how'd I do!"

She realized her uncle's phone's battery was dead, and it was laid on her uncle's bed. She finally decided and thought inside her mind, "Just be quiet. Nobody will saw me anyway!" Just as she typed in the code of her uncle's birthday number, and she could finally open the thick metal door by clicking the "OK" button, the door opened.

"Krystal? What're you doing here?" Seongheon asked curiously. "Come on, let's grab some strawberry scone. It's delicious, uncle made it this morning." Seongheon grabbed Krystal's arm and they went upstairs to eat some scone.

Question marks was still inside Krystal's head. Why couldn't she went inside? It's nothing secret after all.

Outside, it really started the blizzard. Krystal, Seongheon and Gongyoo gathered around the fireplace and told them their stories.

"Krystal, do you know why you don't have an aunt?" "No, and I'm dieing to know that."

"Okay, well....

1990, your aunt just married to me and we got baby twins. We lived happily everyday, until your aunt was noted that she need to move to Canada. Your aunt was born in Canada, and her parents were still there, and they did not know we got married. Or even worse, they did not know me. I stopped her, but it was too late. Your aunt moved to Canada with two babies in her stomach. Just then, we lost in touch.

1992, your aunt mailed me a mail. It was about how she lived there, and how our babies look. In the end of the mail, she attached a word : Seongheon, my parents just died yesterday. I need your help. I couldn't live there with my babies without someone helping me. I'm moving back to Korea again this Friday and please, don't hate me. Love, Your Sad Spouse.

We thought when your aunt moved back here, everyone would be happy, including our neighbours and the townies, and the relatives here.

1993, you were born. Everybody including me and your aunt visited your mother. Suddenly, your aunt fainted. Everybody was in a total shock, and called the ambulance immediately.

Your aunt got a secret and wish that I did not even know after she was died. Her secret was, when she was in Canada, she caught disease. And her wish is, when our kids were grown up, they could drove a beautiful car with your aunt and me.

"So, that's how she died?" Gongyoo said on the side.

"Yeah."

"Then, where's my cousins?" Krystal asked. "They're in Canada's boarding school for half of their life. I don't know when they're coming back."

"Krystal, did you want to hear my story?" Gongyoo asked.

"Definitely!"

"Okay. When I was young, I...