Chapter One - The Little Jung One

In Damyang

4, January 2009 (Sunday)

Krystal looked and kicked the snow on the dirt and sighed. What a boring day, was what she thought. “Krystal, come in. Out there was too cold for you,” Seongheon said and brought Krystal inside the house. They gathered around the fireplace to warm up their bodies. Suddenly, they heard shouts and screams outside. They went outside together curiously.

“Lee Seunggi! Lee Seunggi! Saranghaeyo!!” the fans shouted and screamed while following after a man with dark glasses and thick coat. Seongheon asked Krystal whether she knew the man, and Krystal replied, “A celebrity.” Krystal wasn’t as crazy as the fans, but she snapped a photo of the man with her camera. I can sell it, she thought and smiled at the photo.

The man seemed to notice Krystal, the young girl with snowy white skin and lip. He walked up to her, while the fans were still screaming. “Young girl, what’s your name?” he asked.

“Krystal Jung,” Krystal replied politely. The man thought and looked at her carefully.

“Krystal Jung? Do you have a sister named Jessica?” he asked her again and looked into her eyes.

“Em, yeah,” she said. She did not ever like her sister, because she threw her beside the road and moved to Seoul to be a celebrity. “You know her?”

“Yes! I’m Lee Seunggi, and Jessica is my helper. Now, you can leave your phone number for me, as I can always find you.” “Why?” “Because I like to know you better.”

Krystal entered her phone number on Seunggi’s smart phone, and she hoped that she will get a phone like that.


5, January 2009 (Monday)

Krystal brought her backpack and walked to Damyang High. She sighed, mumbling that she does not want to go school.

“Is that Professor Janghyuk and Professor Jiwon?” she asked herself and looked towards the two. Professor Janghyuk and Professor Jiwon were fighting, again, on the street.

“What a bad luck to see you!” “Oh yeah, well I always think math is better than science!” “No, math is useless! Science is better!” “The pupils love math more than science!” They fought and fought and fought. Krystal knew she should just walk on the other way, because she doesn’t want to squeeze in the fight.

“Krystal? Come here girl! Tell this professor that math is better!” “No, science is! Tell us which one you like better!” Tough luck, Krystal thought. She disliked these two professors, and she just ran away until they can’t see her.

 

Krystal arrived at the school. She walked in the halls and found her class. It was noisy and crazy like a zoo, and although she disliked it, she still walked in grandly, like a queen or a princess or a mayor.

Krystal put her backpack on her seat and someone said something to her.

“Good morning.”

Krystal turned her head, and saw Sehun writing on a book. “Good morning, Sehun!” Then she immediately noticed someone staring at her evilly like wanted to hit her into the ground. The girl walked in front and made a pose at Sehun’s table.

“Look at me, Sehun! I learned this pose on MeTube yesterday! Did you like it?” Wendy said flirtatiously to Sehun while making a pose. Sehun did not look at her one bit. He kept writing on his book.

“Em, please don’t interrupt Sehun and me. We are talking, pabo,” Krystal said to her rudely and stared at her. Wendy looked furious and stomped her feet on the way back to her seat. A boy looked at Wendy flirtatiously and got bit by Wendy.

Sehun’s an extreme nerd, and nobody ever got his heart, including you, Wendy. Krystal thought, and smiled with like D shape, until Miss Jihyun walked into the classroom.

“Good morning class!” “Good morning Miss Jihyun!”

Miss Jihyun started the class immediately. She showed the pupils how to make a recycling bin out of plastic and cupboard. “Any questions left?” “Yes, Miss Jihyun!” Wendy said and raised her hand. “Are you a lesbian?”

The class started to laugh, left Miss Jihyun standing in front of the classroom looking embarrassed. Miss Jihyun is smart and sweet, and she did not know how to defend.

“Did you hear? A student saw Miss Jihyun and Professor Jiwon in a candlelight dinner last week. After that day, the student always saw them together in the restaurant again, looking like they’re dating,” Krystal gossiped with Sehun, and Sehun told her that he does not have any interest.

 

After school, Krystal walked home as usual. When she arrived home, she saw a beggar peeking inside Seongheon’s house. She went up and kicked the beggar.

“Shoo, beggar! You won’t get anything from us!” The beggar looked innocent, and tried to explain. “My name’s Gongyoo, and I know you. Krystal, right?” “How’d you know?” “This world is small. Everybody knows everybody.” “Well, I don’t know you.”

Gongyoo stopped a while, and said, “Its better you don’t know me. You’re still small, and this world is huge and waiting you to explore.” “But you just said that this world is small, and everybody knows everybody.” Immediately, Gongyoo ran away like a cheetah. He’s incredibly fast runner, and Krystal cannot see it outside.

Gongyoo made Krystal thought of someone. When Krystal was still a little innocent child, her parents did not die. She heard her mother saying it out loud, ”What?! He’s.. missing! I can’t believe it!” “It’s better he’s gone. That athlete lover of yours, will ruin our marriage.”

Krystal’s parents started to fight, and she remembered it clearly, because she cannot believe the fought was the last moment she ever saw her parents.

“Joonghyuk does not harm our marriage!” “Yes he does!” “No! I met him because.. we’re still friends! Although, we date before…” “Look at you! Natural blushes! I cannot believe it…” “Where are you going?!” “To go to that Joonghyuk, and make him say sorry!” “How’d you know where’s him?” Krystal’s father stopped and smiled at her mother. He told her mother something, and drove the car like a racer. Her mother went after him, while Krystal cried appa and omma.

After the fought, Krystal’s father and mother was caught inside a car crash. Krystal’s naughty sister Jessica hoped it will happen years ago, so that she could start her career. In Damyang, the Jung family only had Krystal left. And her uncle.