Melt My Heart to Stone

Melt My Heart to Stone

4 Months Earlier
“Jung Nicole.” His voice was low and tired, “Let’s stop here. Let’s stop this train now.” JunHyung stood up slowly from Nicole’s wooden living room floor.
Nicole sat on the floor silently, as she watched JunHyung grabbing his keys and headed towards the front door.

“So this is it?” She asked him with a low soft voice, “you call it off and I’m just supposed to act as if I’m okay with it all? Pretend that I’m not bothered by it one bit?” JunHyung stop in front of the door and turned to face Nicole who was now slowly pulling herself up from the floor, “I’m just suppose to watch you walk right in and out of my life…as if this was just a dream?”

“Nicole…”

“No…instead of telling me to stop, instead of saying I’ll find someone, I at lease deserve an explanation…I at least deserve the truth, if you’re going to let 5 years go down the drain.” Her voice began to shake as her words started to falter out of , “Why? All of a sudden, you’re telling me you’re getting engaged…that you’re getting married to someone else? We were still together, how could you?”

“No matter what I say or do, you’ll only look at it as if it’s an excuse. You’ll find someone who’ll love you better, those 5 years down the drain someone will soon come and give you longer years. I hope you know that I’ll always love you,” he then turned his back towards Nicole, “just know that what I did…I did it for you.” JunHyung opened the door and walked out closing the door behind him slowly.

Nicole fell back onto the wooden floor of her living room, covering as she gave out a small cried. She felt her heart racing wanting to run after him but not able to pull herself up.

1 week later

Nicole sat at the bus stop listening to her iPod as she waited patiently. It was summer, and this year summer in Seoul felt horrible, the breeze was warm and the sunray burned as it hit you. Nicole watched the cars as they past her by, she felt her tears pacing down fast, it felt cold as they hit her thighs, she then stared down at her feet, as her hair fell forward covering her face. She turned her music up so she wouldn’t have to hear the people around her chat away not noticing her existence. She wiped away her tears with both hands, took in a deep breath and watch as the cars past her by once more, as if everything was alright. As the bus came Nicole sat still not moving, people were rushing by pushing trying to enter the bus, Nicole looked up at the driver who was waving for her to hurry and get in, Nicole grabbed her bag stood up and instead of getting on she started walking away from the bus.
“That’s not your place anymore, he won’t come…he won’t come.” Nicole told herself redundantly in her head over and over again, as she made her way into the crowded street of Seoul.

She found herself outside JunHyungs apartment complex, Nicole let out a long sigh.

“Nicole?” Nicole turned around surprised, “You’re here?” Nicole found herself face to face with Hara who had grocery bags in her hands, “Why are you here?” She gave Nicole a warm and soft smile.

“Oh, I just happened to be passing by…why are you here Hara?” Nicole asked.

“I came to visit my soon to be groom.” Hara face began to brighten up, “do you know Yong JunHyung?”

Nicole felt her face burned, even hotter than the summer heat, all these emotions ran through her head and she could feel her heart dropping into her stomach.

“Yong JunHyung…I’ve heard of his name before, but maybe we’re both talking about a different one…well I wish the best of luck to you and your soon to be groom, you’ll make a beautiful bride.” Nicole forced a smile and began walking away. Hara stared as Nicole took a right turn and vanished.

4 Months After
“You’re really settling down now huh?” Yoseob smiled as he sipped his warm coffee, then turned his attention towards JunHyung who was starring up ahead, as the two sat outside the small café at night.

“Yup,” JunHyung gave a flat response as he stared down onto his cup of coffee, “I’m settling down.”

“Well if that’s the case,” Yoseob leaned back into his seat, “that gives me the green light to talk to Nicole right?” He gave out a laugh.

JunHyung now turned his attention towards Yoseob, and then he gave out an uncertain laugh.

“You mean Jung Nicole?”

“Yeah I mean you weren’t much of a boyfriend to her even though you two dated for almost 5 years,” Yoseob sounded more serious this time around, he put down his cup of coffee onto the table beside him leaned forward as he folded both of his hands together, “I honestly believe I’ll be able to treat her better.”

“I mean since there’s nothing left between me and her,” JunHyung felt his heart pounding down on him as those words escaped through his mouth, “and I am getting married tomorrow.”

“Great,” Yoseob patted JunHyungs back, “you did invite her right?” He questioned happily.

“Well I don’t know if she’ll be coming, Nicole and I did date for 5 years…” JunHyung gave Yoseob a hazy answer, “I sent her an invitation, but still unsure if she’ll come…” Yoseob grabbed his cup of coffee and gave out a long sigh; the fog of his breath was visible in the cold air.

Nicole stared at the invitation letter, as she sat at her desk. She took a deep breath and then slowly exhaling out. Nicole slid the invitation under her books, stoop up lied down on her bed as she covered herself up from the coldness that winder brought. She stared up at the ceiling wall, as she slowly closed her eyes she could feel the outer corner of her eyes began to fill up with cold tears, as she shut them tight she could feel the tears running down coldly like a waterfall.

“Thanks for the ride,” JunHyung said as he got out of the passenger seat, still with his hand gripped on the door.

“No problem, get some rest you have a big day ahead of you tomorrow.” With that JunHyung shut the door and Yoseob drove off into the night.

JunHyung gave out a long sigh as he watched Yoseobs car taking a right turn disappearing. He enter Hara and his bedroom, he could hear the small breathing escape into the bedroom and into his ears. He closed the bedroom door slowly and made his way into the master bathroom. He turned the lights on walked towards their walking closet changed into his pjs then turned off all the lights and made his way towards the bed where Hara was fast asleep in. He walked to his side of the bed looked at his clock that sat silently on his night stand, it was a little past twelve, he tucked himself in bed next to Hara who’s back was facing him, he turned now with his back towards Hara, he lied there silently then his eyes began to slowly shut.

“Wake up” Hara plant a kiss on JunHyungs cheek waking him up softly, “you have to get ready, all of your best mans are waiting for you downstairs.” She leaned away from him, “I have to get ready now, hurry so I can change,” her voice was tired and low but sweet and beautiful.

JunHyung slowly stood up and rubbed his tired eyes, he looked at his clock which was five in the morning. He watched as Hara gave him a faint smile, then walking with her back towards him into the bathroom. He stood up and followed behind.

It was now seven; JunHyung had already left to the church. Hara and her bridesmaid were all getting ready at her place.

Nicole fixed the fallen side hair, pin it up and stared at her reflection. She stared at herself in a golden low cut dress and her black heels. She smiled at herself then down at her feet and turned away from the mirror. It would be 5months that day that she and JunHyung decided to go their separate ways.

As the guest poured into the church, JunHyung was more awake now and greeting everyone with a smile on his face. He watched as kids ran around the hall and his relative’s congratulated him. He pulled out his cell phone and dialed the phone. He then waited as the other line was ringing.

Nicole sat at her desk and pulled out the invitation letter. She held back the tears in her eyes…

“Never mind, I’ll be okay…” her voice was low yet calming. She stood up and walked out her bedroom door and out her front door.

“Why isn’t she picking up?” JunHyung mumbled to himself. He then hanged up and turned his attention back to the guest.

As the entire guest had already arrived, Doojoon gesture JunHyung that it was time to walk down the aisle. JunHyung stood where he was for a few minute waiting. Watching the open doors, with no one in sight.

“She won’t come.” He thought to himself and turned away.

“JunHyung-Ah” he heard a familiar voice he still remember, he turned around and saw Nicole standing at the doors. His face brightens up and he gave her warm smile. Nicole walked towards him and gave him a friendly hug.

“Congratulation,” She whispered into his ears and then pulled away from him, “I wish you nothing but the best.” With those words Nicole walked past him and into the church and took her seat.

JunHyung stood speechless. His heartache seeing Nicole’s face for first time since the last time they’ve met. He pulled himself together and walked down that aisle. He then finally waited for Hara. There was silence then the church door opened, the music started to play. Hara came through the church door beside her was her father.

Nicole stared at Hara dressed in an A-line Strapless gauzed wedding dress, walking down the aisle beautifully. She sat up straight and watched as Hara reached the end and JunHyung taking her hand. Nicole watched as the two exchanged vowels.

“This is a dream.” She thought to herself, “wake up now Nicole, and wake up now.” She watched as Hara and JunHyung now exchanged rings. “You’re dreaming, you’re dreaming!” Her thoughts yelled in silence.

“I now pronounce you Husband and Wife.” Those words burned Nicole’s ears. Everyone stood up while Nicole sat still, right as Nicole saw JunHyung leaned forward to kiss Hara the person in front of Nicole stood up and blocked her vision.

“Silly…this isn’t a dream.” She whispered to herself, her tears began to form. She stood up and held it tightly back and clapped as everyone was doing. “We can’t meet again,” she slowly told herself, Nicole watched as JunHyung and Hara walked down the aisle arms in arms. As the two past Nicole; JunHyung turned his head towards Nicole who turned away pretending to not notice him. Then everyone started to follow the two out. Nicole was the last to leave as she went out; the last thing she saw was their car getting further away.

Nicole got into her car and left for the after party. As she got there; everyone was dancing, Yoseob walked towards Nicole and smiled.

“Nicole-ah!” He smiled and she smiled back, “can I have this dance with you?” Nicole nod her head and Yoseob grabbed her hand and escorted her onto the dance floor like every other couple. The two slow dance and then Nicole felt someone grabbing her shoulder.

“Yang Yoseob,” JunHyung smiled, “if you don’t mind can I have this dance with Nicole?” Yoseob smiled and handed Nicole’s hand to JunHyung then taking Hara’s hand.

Nicole stood on the dance floor unsure of what to do.

“So can I have this dance?” He asked her. Nicole turned to look at him and smiled. She wraps her hand around his neck and he wrapped his hands around her waist.
“Jung Nicole.” He said, “Are you okay?”

“I hope you saw my face, and that you be reminded that for me it isn’t over.” Nicole replied to his answer, “Even if it hurts, pretend as if it’s nothing, smiling as if you’re alright, as if you’re okay with it all. You don’t have to worry about me anymore.” Nicole voice started to falter and then the two stared into each other’s eyes.

“Nicole.” JunHyung felt his voice shaking, he hadn’t realized his eyes became teary…”I learned loves first lesson…” He felt his tears falling down slowly, “the tears that flow to the heart are bitter.”

“Our train has stopped.” Nicole wiped away his tears slowly in the dim light of the dance room, “Shh, don’t cry…she gave you things I couldn’t give to you…” Her right hand was still on his left cheek; as he had his head looking down at Nicole, their eyes still locked to each other, “I will send you away, so hurry up and be happy.” Nicole removed her hand, and pulled herself away from the man she had loved for five years, “I don’t want to find someone like you because, if I do and he leaves me like you then I wouldn’t know what to do…I’ll find someone different from you…” With that Nicole walked away from him.

JunHyung watched as Nicole turned her back towards him, and walked out of the dance floor and out the department in the dim light her gold dress shined so bright. He watched as she vanished.

“I’m sorry...”