Epilogue

Right Here Beside You

~~ One Year Later ~~

 

Bumjoo’s POV

 

It’s just another day at school. sigh. Please get me out of here. And I came here this morning and it was pink all over. Is it another spirit day or something?

 

The bells rang and I hurried to my locker to get my books for the next class. I opened the locker and there was a box of chocolates with a heart note next to it. Of course, it’s Valentine’s Day. How could I forget. 

 

I stuffed the note into my pocket, grabbed my books, and headed off to class. The teacher droned on and on about the history of Korea, the great rulers, and all that. And before I knew it i was dosing off, then sleeping.

 

“Dongsaeng-ah,” Namjoo Noona called.

 

“Yea noona?”

 

“You know I love you right?”

 

“Really noona?”

 

“Yup, you’re my favorite dongsaeng ever?”

 

Oh. She doesn’t feel the same way. I should’ve known. 

 

I was shaken awake by Namjoo who was sitting next to me, “Wake up, class is over Bumjoo-ah.”

 

After the rejection, our friendship has never been the same again.  We’re so awkward and farther apart now. Now she’s sitting here like we’re alright even though we aren’t.

 

“How about we go get ice cream?” I smiled. 

 

“Sounds good. Let’s go,” she grabbed my arm and off we were to the ice cream shop.

 

~~ Later that Night ~~

 

I was changing and getting ready for bed. Then I remembered the note from earlier that day. I pulled it out and read.

 

Dear Bumjoo,

 

I have always loved you so much. I love you so much. And I will always love you. 

 

It broke my heart when I found out that you liked Namjoo, so I stayed quiet. I 

 

would rather you be happy than myself. But after she rejected you, my heart broke 

 

even more. I couldn’t take it anymore. So this is my confession to you. 

 

 

P.S. I hope you enjoy the chocolates. These were always your favorite. 

 

                                    Love,

                                    M.

 

~~ One Month Later: White Day ~~

 

I booked a fancy restaurant on the Han River and begged my hyungs to be the servers for the night.

 

She looked beautiful today. She wore a nice lace dress with a blue and white polka dotted cardigan. The light hit against her face and made the shadows of her eyelashes dance across her skin. Her makeup was light and exceptionally beautiful. How come I’ve never realized how pretty and wonderful she was all these years. 

 

The salad was served, then the pineapple salmon, then dessert was a lovely Tiramisu. As time passed, I got more and more nervous. You can do this.

 

After dessert, the lights dimmed and I got down on one knee with a bouquet of red roses, “I should have realized sooner.  I love you. Minah Noona, will you be my girlfriend.”

 

“Yes, I’ll always be right here beside you,” she whispered tears streaming down her face.