Right Here Beside You

Right Here Beside You

Bumjoo’s POV

 

Hi everyone. I’m Bumjoo. I’ve been best friends with Namjoo Noona and Minah Noona for years. Minah is two years older than Namjoo and I. We’ve done everything together from running around the playground when we were kids to getting scolded by our parents for making a huge mess baking in the kitchen. Whoops. 

 

Today was just like any other day. 

 

“Namjoo Noona! Let’s go to Lotte World!” I said excitedly. 

 

“That sounds fun! How does next week sound?”

 

“Sure, whenever noona’s free.”

 

“Did you ask Minah yet?”

 

“Ask me what?” Minah asked coming into the living room and sitting down next to 

me. 

 

“Noona, let’s go to Lotte World next week! When both you and Namjoo 

noona are free!” 

 

 

Minah’s POV

 

“Sounds like fun dongsaeng-ah,” I ruffled Bumjoo’s hair.

Sigh. I don’t know what to do anymore. I love Bumjoo to death but he likes Namjoo. It’s so obvious. He’s liked her since middle school; I can’t believe Namjoo is so oblivious. 

 

 

~~ A week later ~~

 

Bumjoo’s POV

 

“WAAAH I’m so excited to go to Lotte World! I haven’t been there in forever,” I screamed as Namjoo noona drove. 

 

Minah yawned, “Will you keep it down? I’m trying to sleep.”

 

“BUT NOONA! ROLLER COASTERS! WAAH SO EXCITED! I CAN’T WAIT!”

 

“We’re almost there so calm down!” Namjoo instructed.

 

I pouted, “Okay Noona,” and slumped into my seat. 

 

Before I knew it, I took a twenty minute nap and woke up with Minah noona shaking me awake. 

 

“WOOOOOO LOTTE WORLD!!!!” I screamed, “I’M COMING!”

 

“Which one do you want to go on first?” Mina asked. 

 

“WILD WING! WILD WING!” I pointed to the ride in front of me, “Then let’s do Wild Jungle!”

 

The day went on like that. 

 

“Let’s go on the Ferris Wheel!” I squealed.

 

“You two go. I’m done with rides for today; the last one kind of made me dizzy. I’ll be in the aquarium,” Minah said and walked off to see her favorite sea friends. 

 

“Alright! Let’s go noona,” I grabbed Namjoo’s hand and ran to the ferris wheel line.

 

“Calm down. We’ll be able to get on the Ferris Wheel.”

 

“But the line is always SOOOO long for it.; just look at it,” I pointed at the huge line, “This is going to take FOREVER!”

 

“Please Bumjoo. It’s only like a fifteen minute wait.”

 

Twenty minutes later we were on top of the Ferris Wheel.

 

“Wow! It’s so pretty!” Namjoo gushed. 

 

Gosh she’s so cute like this. I hope she says yes.

 

“Noona! Look over there! There’s an alpaca!” I exclaimed and pointed down.

 

“What. I don’t see it.” 

 

She turned back around and I had a bouquet of red roses ready. 

 

“Whoa. Where did that come from?” she asked.

 

“Noona. I can’t do this anymore. I don’t just want to be friends anymore. It drives me crazy thinking about all the other guys who like you. You may not notice, but there are so many.  I don't want them to be near you, it makes me jealous. How long have I held this in now… six years?The way you smile makes me want to smile with you. When you're upset, I want you to come to me instead if hiding by yourself. You don't have to be alone noona. I will never leave your or hurt you. I promise. Noona, will you be my girlfriend?” I confessed.

 

 

Namjoo’s POV

 

Why? I only see him as my dongsaeng. I do love him but not in that way. What do I do? 

 

“You have to reject him,” my head answered. 

 

“But he’s going to be so upset.”

 

“You’ll hurt both of you even more if you say yes.”

 

 

Bumjoo’s POV 

 

I’m sorry Bumjoo-ah. My answer is no,” I said quietly. 

 

I froze. The bouquet dropped from my hands. This can’t be. 

 

We got to the bottom of the Ferris Wheel and I bolted off to find Minah. I ran and ran, tears streaming down my face. 

 

I ran into someone, bowed and mumbled, “Sorry.”

 

 

Minah’s POV

 

I felt someone run into me. I turned around and there was Bumjoo mumbling “Sorry.”

 

“Omo! Dongsaeng, are you okay?” I asked worried, “Are you crying? What happened? Where’s unnie?”

 

At that he started bawling harder. Oh no. Did he finally ask her and she said no?

 

“Did you ask unnie out?” I asked. 

 

He nodded.

 

“Oh you poor thing. Come here.” I pulled him into a hug. 

 

 

Bumjoo’s POV 

 

I cried and cried with Minah comforting me.

 

“I say we go home. How does that sound?” she asked.

 

I nodded again. 

 

“Why don’t you go to the bathroom and freshen up?”

 

I nodded once again and went to the bathroom. 

 

 

Namjoo’s POV

 

I called Minah. I hope he’s with her. 

 

“Minah-ah?”

 

“Hello?”

 

“Is Bumjoo with you?”

 

“Yea, he just went to the bathroom. I think it’s time to go home. And we need to talk once we get home.”

 

 

Minah’s POV 

 

The drive home was dead silent. Namjoo dropped Bumjoo off and started driving us home.

 

Once at home, I asked what happened. 

 

She told me and I asked, “And you’re sure you don’t like him in that way?”

 

“I’m sure. But I feel so bad. Maybe you should go talk to him.”

 

I texted Bumjoo to meet me at the cafe down the street the next day. 

 

~~ Next Day ~~

 

“Hey noona,” he got his strawberry slushy and sat down.

 

I didn’t want to beat around the bush so i got to the point, “You know she was only doing this to safe you from more hurt, right?”

 

He nodded. 

 

“I know you’re upset but time will heal, alright? I’ll always be right here beside you,” I patted his head.