[Final]

It Has Always Been You

“Hi, can I sit with you?”

Dayoung looks up, but then her breath hitches looking at the person in front of her. She silently debating whether to respond or just stare  because apparently that’s Park Chanyeol talking to her. The school’s head prefect who looks ridiculously good and very skilled in playing musical instruments. The person she has been helplessly in love with.

“Y-yeah, sure.” She stammers, quickly shoving foods into and swallows them. She hears a deep chuckle and suddenly she’s aware of the stare thrown at her.

“Um, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to laugh.” Chanyeol mumbles rather awkwardly. She’s about to reply when she sees Park Sooyoung or better known as Joy is walking towards their direction. Dayoung’s eyes widen in surprise and she tenses when Joy sits next to the love of her life. Out of a sudden, Dayoung feels really insecure. Everyone in school knows Joy. Pretty, smart, and talented. She possesses all the qualities but the thing that hurts more is the fact that Joy and Chanyeol are literally glued to each other.

“What are you doing here, Chanyeol? Why aren’t you eating with me?” Joy pouts, fixing Chanyeol’s hair while discreetly looking at Dayoung from the corner of her eyes. A stone sinks to the pit of Dayoung’s stomach as she witnesses the scene in front of her. She bites her lower lip, rubbing her eyes because she can feel tears already welling up. She quickly slings her bag on her shoulders and mutters “I’ll be going first” before walking away.

Dayoung may not see the confused look on Chanyeol’s face but he definitely sees a tear rolling down her cheek. “Oh my God. Chanyeol, she likes you too and she’s obviously jealous.” Joy grins. “My, my. She must’ve think I’m your girlfriend.” She stands up and pats Chanyeol’s back. “Go chase her before it’s too late.”

-

Dayoung stops in front of the music room, feeling grateful that the hallway is empty so no one is there to witness her having a breakdown. She slides down with her back against the door, knees drawn up to her chest. She hides her face in her kneecaps, shoulders moving each time she sobs.

“Stupid! Stupid Park Chanyeol! I hate you! ” She grits her teeth and harshly wipes her tears away but her heart is badly aching so she hides her face on her arms, cursing Chanyeol to no end while crying.

“Is it true?”

Dayoung looks up and her breath hitches when she sees Chanyeol squatting in front of her. goes dry and she feels like she’s unable to speak. Chanyeol stares at Dayoung and his heart clenches at the sight of her face streaked with tears. He moves closer to her, cupping her cheeks with his hands and wipe her tears away.

“…that you hate me?” Chanyeol asks softly. Dayoung shakes her head and buries her face in her hands, hiding her embarrassment away, but Chanyeol pries her fingers away.

“Were you jealous then?”

Dayoung hesitates at first but eventually nodding in shame.

“Do you like me?”

“Um, I –” She clears , eyes looking away while mumbling a “Yes.”

“Good.”Chanyeol smiles and laces her fingers with his.  “Because I like you, Kim Dayoung.”

Her breath stutters into a stop as she tries to comprehend his words.

“It has always been you.” Chanyeol gazes lovingly at her. She stares back at the guy in front of her and a smile forms at her lips.

Her love isn’t one sided after all.