Late Mornings

Decisions

Baekhyun didn't want to wake up, the boy didn't want to open his eyes. He was afraid of what he might possibly see. Rather unwillingly hazel eyes finally opened moments later and scanned the area but he was thankfully still in his bedroom lying on his bed. He would panic about how exactly he got into the bed later but he was just relieved to not be mauled and bleeding in a ditch somewhere.

A breath Baekhyun didn't know he had been holding escaped his lips in ragged, strained puffs. The boy snuggled down further into the warmth of the covers and thought to himself that maybe he could just stay there forever and never have to think about what the hell was happening to him ever again. Unfortunately, fate had other plans.

Baekhyun didn't have that luxury as he heard the doorbell ring repeatedly, the shrill rhythm of dinging resonating and bouncing around in his mind and no matter how much he tried to ignore it by placing pillows over his head nothing worked.

Then he remembered what day it was and he finally knew the cause of the cursed noise. Today was Thursday, which meant that Tao would be at his house early so the two of them could grab breakfast at the local bakery on the way to school.

While groaning loudly Baekhyun tried to pretend that he didn't hear Tao coming up the stairs, or that he was rapidly knocking on his door. But he couldn't ignore the gentle arms pulling the covers away and then moving to sit him upright, clearly mindful of his injuries as Tao had never handle him with such delicacy before. Like he was some sort of porcelain doll, a wispy spiders web, a thin pane of glass. All of which he absolutely was not.

But before he could protest about his gentle treatment clothes were being thrown in his direction. Sighing in defeat he mumbled for Tao to get out and he wearily stood before he began to dress himself. His limbs felt unbearably heavy and they seemed sluggish, he ended up on having to lean heavily on the wall as he got dressed. After eating breakfast with a healthy dose of painkillers he blindly followed his friend out the door and down the street. Painfully bumping into people and walls along the way.

 

The two of them were regulars in the little shop as they had been coming there for years together. The shop was about half way between Baekhyun's house and their high school, the outside was painted a cute baby pink with white swirling writing on the hanging board telling passersby of all the delicious pastries available inside.

A large window occupied a good majority of the front of the shop and upon peering through said window you could immediately see a large open space with tables lining one side and booths on the other. Everything had a homely and dainty feel to it, flowering plants hung from the ceiling in white boxes and everything in the shop was pastel themed. Be it the cups, the icings, the chairs, or the silly aprons that the workers had to wear.

It was actually quite a popular little bakery, but it's peak time was after school so when Baekhyun and Tao went there in the mornings it was usually quite empty. They knew all of the chefs and workers by name and often ended up being late for school due to talking to them too much.

Though this time there was a new face. He was much younger than the other workers but still looked older than himself and Tao. Baekhyun looked up to study his handsome face, that's right, literally looked up, the new guy was an absolute giant. Tao who was normally one to comment straight away when he saw someone attractive was eerily quiet with some sort of stupid grin etched into his features. Maybe it was due to how ridiculous the other looked in his pastel blue apron that generally looked to small for him, and how the new male would flinch away when the old ladies cooed at him, but the smile on his face indicated otherwise.

 

"Hey Taozi what exactly are you grinning at? Him?" Baekhyun asked, nudging his friend in the ribs and laughing at how Tao glared and smacked him to try and get him to shut up. When Baekhyun decided to tease Tao further he got a sharp kick to the shin but their childish fighting was interrupted by an irritated voice belong to someone who was clearly not impressed with their behaviour.

 

"I have a name you know, it's Kris not just him" a deep voice sounded startling Baekhyun who quite literally jumped and squeaked as he spun around to face the man in question. Tao just remained dead still, just simply staring at the other with a look of curiosity and something foreign; an emotion that Baekhyun had never seen before, it looked like a cross between anger and fear, but the way that Tao's eyes hungrily raked over Kris' form confused Baekhyun greatly so he gave up on figuring his best friend out.

 

Kris looked up and met Tao's stare and Baekhyun swore he could hear he his best friend's breath hitch in response. Strangely just as Chanyeol's eyes had done yesterday Tao's eyes had the same amber hue to them. And so did Kris'. The midsummer light sure did strange things and Baekhyun blinked his eyes rapidly to hopefully right his eyes tricked by the light. When he opened them again they were both back to normal, well not completely normal as Tao was still to even blink or breathe. Baekhyun was slightly concerned and wondered if Tao was actually still alive in there.


Tao stared up at Kris, completely and utterly star struck, seemingly mesmerised by the other. For once someone was actually taller than Tao was which in itself was a rare occurrence. Sharp features, full brows and lips, and pale smooth skin contrasted with the mussed dark hair that Kris was currently sporting. Faint traces of flour were evident on his cheek as well as in his hair, the white power descending in a mixture of swirls and clouds whenever a Kris moved about behind the counter.

Tao just couldn't believe it, he would undoubtedly have to tell Suho about this immediately but due to the school he was forced to attend by Suho said male would have to wait until later on. It baffled him as to why another wolf was in their territory, a very attractive wolf though that had Tao's heart pounding.

But none the less, this werewolf was here in the plain sight of day not even hiding or wary of potential attacks for occupying their land unannounced and uninvited. The idiot even had a job! How stupidly cocky can one person be?! He quickly barked for Baekhyun to leave incase things got ugly which he really, truly hoped would not happen.

"I'm Tao, and who exactly are you?" He asked finally, proud of himself for not stuttering or stumbling over his words once throughout the whole sentence. It was definitely an achievement as his tongue felt like lead due to the weighty stare that his own intrigued one was being returned with.

"I'm Kris I literally just said it. Are you deaf?" The other answered bluntly, the deep voice sending shivers through Tao.

"No you're not just Kris, I mean who are you really? And I'm definitely not deaf, I have excellent hearing as do you but that is mainly due to our bloodline." Tao said and made his point by finally allowing his eyes to shift into a rich orange colour and for his pale brown ears to perk up from within his hair.

"W-what are you doing you idiot!" Kris yelled as he grabbed a nearby newspaper and smacked Tao on the head with it. One day some stupid kid like him will be the cause of our species downfall and extinction! he thought bitterly as he continued to whack Tao on the head, finishing by tapping him warningly on the nose with it. The other just cutely whimpered in response.

"I'm showing you who I am so that you might do the same. I won't leave until you do" the now very strange looking boy replied with while smirking.

Kris glared at him in reply before throwing a quick glance to the surrounding area. Once he saw that there was no one around he let his deep brown eyes turn a similar shade of amber.

"There, happy now? And don't worry about telling Suho about me, I'm meeting with him tonight" Kris said while letting his eyes return to their normal colour, hoping Tao would do the same before they both got caught and possibly kidnapped for horrifying scientific experimentation. But on the bright side, at least Tao's ears kind of blended in with his hair.

"I wasn't planning on telling him just yet, I thought I'd keep you to myself for a while." Tao replied while letting his fangs slide down and grace his lower lip as he stared up at the shocked male through hooded eyes. His smirk only widening as he saw colour floor the other's cheeks.

Kris blushed profusely from the combined effect of the hungry eyes, the way his fangs peeked out of those full lips, and the words he had spoken to him. Wait, what the hell?! I'm blushing?! This kid is making me blush? Oh hell no! were the thoughts racing through his head as he swiftly moved around the counter until he was in front of the other. Kris then closed the short distance between them till two of them were pressed flush together and then a hand rose to comb through Tao's hair.

"And what were you planning on doing with me?" Kris purred while fondling one of the soft ears between his fingertips and smirked when Tao practically melted against him. A low whine was the only response that he got and he couldn't stop himself from continuing his actions, he was somehow seemingly addicted to the adorable reactions the other had. He nearly screamed when Tao actually nuzzled into his open palm, obviously not pleased with the fact that Kris had stilled his hand.

It was odd though, he had felt such hostility rolling off of the other as soon as he had entered the store and seen Kris. Tao had even asked his human to leave, probably incase the two of them started fighting. Yet the exact same guy was now blinking up at him with a blissed out look on his pretty features.

But Kris quickly became distracted by something that shouldn't of been there, he immediately bristled as he pressed himself to Tao even more, practically moulding his body to the pliant boy beneath him. There was another wolf in the area. And it seemed to be making advances on Tao's human, and as much as he wanted to keep Tao where he was for whatever excuse that he'd decide upon later Kris just couldn't sit back and passively witness an attack.

"You better snap out of this, there's a another wolf outside who's decided that your little friend is his new mate" Kris said while glancing at the scene unfolding outside.

"What?!" Tao barked. "Are you kidding me right now? ! I'll talk to you later, that's Chanyeol on my friend!"

"What the Chanyeol? That's him?! Man I feel so sorry for your friend with what's going to happen to him if he really is Chanyeol's newest ma-"

"Yeah trust me I know and that'll be over my dead body, sorry Kris!" Tao shouted before squirming out of Kris' embrace and shooting out of the door.


Baekhyun was getting impatient, Tao had asked-more like ordered him to wait outside after buying his breakfast for him as persuasion probably so he could flirt with the new guy behind the counter without Baekhyun telling Kris that Tao used to exclusively wear a singular Spider-Man shirt as a child and insisted upon being carried upside down when he went up the stairs. And it was apparent that his theory was right. When he had thrown yet another irritated glare over his shoulder he had been mentally scared by the image of his best friend being pinned to the counter by Kris damn that kid works fast he thought as Kris raised an arm and ran his fingers through Tao's hair.

Baekhyun turned away with red cheeks, he'd seen enough dramas to know what happened next and definitely did not want to see his best friend playing tonsil tennis with a man he had just met ten minutes ago. The two were going to be late unless Tao hurried up.

 

All of a sudden something shot right past him which nearly gave Baekhyun a heart attack. A hand clutched the fabric above said wildly pounding organ uselessly. Whatever it was had slammed into a nearby wall to halt itself, the sound of skin slapping onto the solid surface was sickening. The figure then promptly whipped around see only uninjured somehow and bright eyes paired with a huge grin greeted Baekhyun as he stared into what he recognised as Chanyeol's overly happy face.

The taller male practically bounded up to him and tugged on his school blazer before he moved in far too close to Baekhyun for comfort. If anyone were to see the two of them now it would definitely spark rumours which he did not want, or even worse Tao could see them. One resulted in y girls, the other resulted in a y and pissed off Tao which was so much worse and if the latter happened it would probably signal Baekhyun's immediate death. So he quickly shooed Chanyeol away but it seemed that this only riled up the exited male further.

 

With each step that Chanyeol had taken Baekhyun took one back and after a mere two steps Chanyeol had backed Baekhyun up till he hit a wall and he just kept coming closer. Damn him and his damn long legs, it's not fair he thought, but now there was only inches between them as all train of thought had ceased.

Not a sound could be heard, not even breathing as Baekhyun's had gotten stuck somewhere between his lungs and throat due to the other lowering his head with eyes locked on his lips. But Baekhyun wasn't pushing him away. He didn't tell the other to stop, he even found himself leaning towards Chanyeol, undeniably drawn to the other.

Baekhyun was ensnared by long eyelashes framing large eyes and the faint freckles that dotted the other's face. A pink tongue darted out to trace over full lips before they stretched over perfectly straight white teeth to show off that killer smile that Chanyeol just loved to flaunt. A beautiful crimson had stained the taller male's cheeks and nose, a similar pinky colour was most likely spreading across his own face. His shaking hands had reached up and latched onto Chanyeol's shirt of their own accord, yet he still wasn't pushing Chanyeol away and if anything Baekhyun was tugging him closer.

Then their lips brushed. The faintest ghost of a touch, yet it left Baekhyun trembling as pure, primal instinct and emotion coursed through him like a delicious poison lacing his very blood. It had spread to every inch of his being. His lips quivered as hot breath fanned across his face, so close but not close enough. But he'd change that.

 

When Chanyeol felt Baekhyun surge forwards with hands buried in his hair, the same dainty hands pulling so hard that his head was ripped back, he growled loudly. The sound rumbling from deep within his chest and Baekhyun froze just millimetres shy of Chanyeol's waiting lips. He then whimpered, looking up at Chanyeol and pleading with his eyes. He felt his resolve fading, the will to not claim Baekhyun as his own was causing his fangs to practically burn within his mouth. But he couldn't, he wouldn't. He would not do that to Baekhyun, not for as long as he possibly could. Chanyeol didn't care how much it pained him, he didn't matter anymore, only Baekhyun mattered.

In a flash Chanyeol flew away from Baekhyun, taking his warmth and the now ruby red from being bitten lips that he so desperately craved with him. The male in question now stood about a couple of feet away, panting heavily with his gorgeous face completely flushed. The other's black hair looked strange, it was sticking up in only two places either side of his head in almost triangular shapes.

Although Baekhyun had buried his fingers in those soft ebony locks just seconds previous and it was likely his fault. Just as he was about to step forwards and right the out of place strands Chanyeol ran his own fingers through his hair in frustration as Baekhyun swore he literally growled under his breath. They instantly disappeared so Baekhyun went back to focusing on the matter at hand.

"W-why Chanyeol, like what are we doin-"

"I'm sorry!" Chanyeol blurted. It seemed to be one of his favourite words lately, sorry that is. He then paused before continuing feebly with "and I'm sorry about yesterday, and about that just now, I'm just sorry okay?" Offering Baekhyun a shy smile in the process that Baekhyun himself could not resist returning.

"It's okay, stop apologising please. But if we're on the theme of apologising I'm sorry I shouted at you yesterday, and I'm sorry about Tao as well" he added the last part rather quietly but Chanyeol just grinned at him in reply.

"C'mon, we'll be late if you don't hurry up" the taller said while reaching for Baekhyun's hand.

Baekhyun was unable to resist against reaching back eagerly at the open hand extended towards him but the door crashing open interrupted their moment. Tao flew through it in a flurry of movement as indistinguishable shouts erupted from his mouth in the direction of a bewildered and slightly guilty looking Chanyeol. Tao then viciously slapped Chanyeol's hand away and glared at the poor boy before dragging Baekhyun away and leaving a stunned male behind.

 

School progressed excruciatingly slowly as usual but the day just seemed slightly different, Baekhyun could feel the weight of Chanyeol's eyes forever glued onto him. The back of his head, or his lips, he felt the gaze making his skin burst out in goose numbs wherever it was aimed.

Chills would sweep through his entire body occasionally and it was definitely not going unnoticed by Chanyeol who seemed to smirk and practically glow with pride whenever he visibly shuddered. Baekhyun had become a stuttering, blushing, dazed mess because of it.

 

He barely paid any attention in class or to the teacher on a good day but now it was completely impossible to focus and remembered a single thing that the rotund middle aged man was shouting. Simply knowing that every time he turned around he would be met with Chanyeol grinning at him or pulling faces to make him laugh made him visibly brighten.

When he was feeling especially brave because Tao wasn't in that class he would even be passing notes to Baekhyun which contained crude and insulting drawings of whatever teacher was currently overseeing the class, sometimes it would be cute little messages adorned with hearts, or pleas for help instead.

If it was the third Baekhyun would use it as an excuse to go a crouch down next to Chanyeol, sometimes helping him with the problem but most of the time he would just hum or nod in reply to the small talk the other was making. Too busy connecting the lines and making constellations with Chanyeol's freckles to reply with an actual formulated sentence.

 

At lunch the heated stares and gentle smiles continued, only this time they didn't go unnoticed by Tao who would scold Baekhyun every time he caught the boy returning the glances, or even worse, smiling back at the idiot.

"Just stop it already, you aren't clever I can see you doing it" Tao reprimanded after he had finally had enough of his best friends love sick behaviour.

"I'm not trying to be clever, I'm not trying to hide anything because I don't have anything to hide" he replied, false sweetness dripping from his voice.

Tao huffed before saying "Please Baekkie, just, stay away from him for a bit, I have some things I need to sort out with him"

His friend then stood up and walked off, passing Chanyeol's table in the process and dragging the boy with him. Baekhyun only stared at the now vacant chair in front of him with a look of confusion before he silently began packing away the items that Tao had taken over the table with.

He had a feeling that Tao was going to be a while, and that he'd come back in a foul mood. So without a fuss he slipped the note books inside the black bag and waited for his friend to return, hopefully without an injured Chanyeol hobbling behind.

 

Baekhyun tried his absolute hardest to wait, he really did. He tried to be patient and wait for Tao to come back but curiosity was just getting the better of him so he began searching to corridors to find his friend, and his-well his Chanyeol? The corridors seemed to twist around his leading him in an endless circle yet not once had he come across either of the two boys, not that they'd be hard to miss as both of them were unfairly tall.

It was thanks to muffled shouting coming from a section of the school that was rarely used anymore that led him to them. Admittedly he had been slightly terrified to walk down the eerily quiet and empty corridors, leaflets on the bulletin boards dated from some years ago. The place looked like it hadn't been touched in years, the feeling that he was being watched flooded over him. But it wasn't into the same way that Chanyeol did, this one was not a cross between protective, lustful, and comforting, this gaze was predatory and frightening. 

Thankfully after almost running down the next few corridors and turns Baekhyun found them. The sight that he was greeted with however completely shocked him to the core, and a brief pulse of fear sparked within him as the image before him was far worse than the feeling that he had run from. Tao his gentle giant of a best friend was in tears, sobbing his heart out while painful hiccuped breaths wheezed in and out of his mouth. And he had pinned Chanyeol to the wall, his hand tight around the other's throat, not budging an inch no matter how much Chanyeol crawled at it.

 

"Please just stay away from him, I can't lose him! I won't let you have him and turn him into that! Look, I know exactly what I'm asking of you but please, just don't do it. Put it off as long as can, I know it'll kill you, just please he's my best friend" Tao begged, the grip loosening somewhat.

"I can't, I can't not be near him it'll kill me! Like I know trust me know, I'm scared too, scared of myself and of what I might do to him. So we agree on one thing Tao, I'll be putting that off for as long as I can manage" Chanyeol replied, his eyes watering with the words.

"Thank you, thank you so much, I can't lose Baekhyun, he's my best friend. I know the magnitude of what I'm asking but still, thank you for agreeing that you'll try." Tao's words were muffled against Chanyeol's neck as he had engulfed the taller in a tight embrace. "C'mon, you can come sit with us from now on, try to keep the lovey dovey-ness to a minimum please though, I am trying to eat" Tao said jokingly as he pulled away before dragging Chanyeol down the corridor.

 

Baekhyun had been frozen on the spot until the two had begun moving towards him but he took that as his queue to sprint down the hallway and return back to his table before Tao and Chanyeol did. Luckily he somehow managed it but the two were suspicious of his behaviour, for his face was deadly pale and no words passed the lips that were tightly pressed together.

Baekhyun remained that way for the rest of the day, remaining oblivious to others attempting to talk to him. Ignoring their questions or small talk, ignoring Tao's pleads for him to feel him what was wrong and not even bothered to unfold the notes contains Chanyeol's worry for him in scribbled handwriting. It wasn't until he got home that he really began to think about the words that had haunting him, bouncing around in his head and resonating within his bones painfully throughout every minute he had been sat at that same desk.

As he sunk into his bed in defeat his thoughts bombarded him aggressively, demanding to be answered. What the hell did they mean?! Why was Tao crying, why were they acting so serious? Baekhyun had guessed that Chanyeol just had a crush on him and Tao disapproved but now it seemed so much more complicated. Why was Tao going to lose Baekhyun, was Chanyeol going to take him away from Tao? Was it just stupid and childish jealousy that drove Tao? Why exactly would it kill Chanyeol to be away from him, and why did they both sound so deadly serious when they said that? That and millions of other questions now whizzed through his mind, Baekhyun had become lost within his thoughts and couldn't see himself finding his way out of this internal maze anytime soon.


 

Word count: 4334

Look at me go, two new chapters for two seperate fanfics in one day.

But hello everyone, sorry for the delayed update I had a set of killer mocks exams, but now I'm on Christmas break I promise I'll update reguarly again. I hope you liked this chapter, thank you everyone who has subscribed, commented and the one amazing person who had up voted I absolutely bloody love you, till next week