Winter Sonata

Oneshot, the Oneshot Collection

[PAIRING: HUNHAN]

_____________________

A snowflake landed on the tip of his nose, as Luhan heaved out a sigh. Even though it was already winter, his favourite season, he still hadn't seen the liveliness of the city, the uplifting music that everyone who stepped outside could hear, or the bright decorations.

Or maybe he just hadn't felt it.

Everyone he met was smiling from ear to ear and he could hear bells jingling to the tune of Santa's theme song not far away. A couple of women had given him boxes of chocolates wrapped in green and red paper and pretty ribbons. 

The air was chilly and it was teribbly cold outside, which lead to Luhan mentally thanking the heavens for letting him remember to wear a coat. He was, after all, the easily cold type of person. Even if there was barely a breeze on a summer night, he would feel cold.

He was on his way home, from having taken a short walk and buying a couple of CDs to listen to at home.

To pasers-by, his house looked abandoned with it's giant frame towering over the street and the detailed designs curved on the edges of the windows. The paint looked like it was going to start peeling off anytime soon, but none of that really mattered to Luhan.

He remembered when he first bought the house. It was about to be taken down, though a true beauty in his eyes. He had bought it the moment he had laid eyes on without hesitation. He was the type to act first without thinkig, it seemed.

Maybe that was why he was feeling so empty today.

Closing the door behind him, Luhan took off his coat and hung it on the rack before proceeding on to the book shelf, taking his time with every step. He began searching, his frozen fingers barely touching the numerous covers. Alas, he finally found what he was looking for.

 A thick, navy blue photo album, hidden away between War and Peace and Macbeth.

He sat on the sofa infront of the fireplace and got welcomed by a warm and comforting fire, as he opened the album. On the very first page, was a picture of two boys who looked seventeen or so. They were in their unforms and one was taller than the other.

The taller boy was frowning, scrunching up his nose as he stared at the other who was laughing at something behind the camera. One of them had auburn messy hair while the other neatly combed jet black.

Luhan stared at the boy with the serious face.

The boy who went by the name of Oh Sehun.

"But you can't miss the musical, Sehunnie!" Luhan whined into the phone.

"I'm very busy right now, I don't think I can make it on time. Your voice is beautiful Han. You'l kill it, don't worry." Sehun, on the other hand, sighed. He tried convincing the other boy but no avail.

"But you promised! I'm not doing this without Sehun in the front row of the audience!" He pouted.

"Okay, okay. I'll be there." In the end it didn't seem like he had a choice.

"REALLY?! I'll make sure you won't regret it then!" Luhan had been so excited as he heard a click on the other end of the line. He went off to practice some more before it was time. He had to get his lines right. He had to make Sehun feel proud.

As he was on standby, Luhan's eyes searched for Sehun as his heart beat fiercly in his chest. The feeling of butterflies in his stomach took over as he realized that Sehun was nowhere to be seen. 

Suddenly, his phone rang. He debated whether to walk on or to pick it up. He decided to answer the call, becuse there was somewhat a minute remaining until he had to start singing.

"Hello?" He said.

"Is this Luhan?" The voice was unfamiliar and sounded completely foreign to him.

"Yes. What is it?"

"Oh Sehun has gotten into a car accident and is currently in Kim Daily Hospital."

Without responding, or even hanging up, he began running towards the exit, leaving his phone on the floor, carelessly tossed away without much thought.

When he had met with the doctor, the look on his face told Luhan what he never wanted to hear. Not until he had died himself.

"I'm sorry."

Sehun's family had called him a murderer and a scumbag worth no one's sympathy. They hadn't even let him see Sehun, let alone anywhere near his grave. His concious told him not to take it to heart, but his heart wondered whether they were telling the truth.

And he had convinced himself that Sehun was killed because of him.

What would have happened if he had never called Sehun that day?

Would things have been different?

Would his face be buried in Sehun's chest right now?

Would they be embraced by the warmth and glow of the fire together?

Would they have shared many a sweet kiss?

He would never know.

"Merry christmas, Sehunnie." Luhan said. A single tear rolled down his pale cheek as he stared at the boy in the picture. Underneath it was a sentence written in small and neat handwriting:

To the times we spent together, and the times to come.