ii Chapter 2 ♫ ii

Imperfect Intervals

 

“We can do this much as vendors in the same street.”

 

Jongdae can hardly believe but Junmyeon actually bought the “Hyung asked me to store this instrument here since we’ve run out of place” tale Chanyeol presented him with. He didn’t even call for Shin Sungwoo, the owner of the music shop for confirmation. But well, we’re talking about Kim Junmyeon, Mr. Conscientious.

 

“If you say so.” Jongdae replies amused, pressing the mobile closer to his ear with his shoulder, squeezing some books to his chest at the same time with the same hand.

 

Jongdae wanted to refuse Chanyeol yesterday and planned to tell the truth to his boss but at the end just decided to go with the flow. It’s Chanyeol’s problem after all, he’s the one risking his job, Jongdae only has to watch over the instrument from time to time and dust it off if it gets too dirty.

 

This much can be done as a supporting friend... and whose Jongdae is kidding, it is actually fun. If Chanyeol gets his kicked by his boss, make it double fun.

 

“I’m sorry I can’t be there when it gets delivered.” Junmyeon speaks again from the other end of the line.

 

“It’s okay. I can deal.”

 

Other than helping customers and waiting for a package arriving at four Jongdae has all time in the world. Junmyeon worries over nothing as always -

 

“There’s something more, actually.”

 

Jongdae stops.

 

“What else is there?”

 

He doesn’t want to sound unwilling but the way Junmyeon delivers the news gives off a strange vibe Jongdae identifies as troublesome.

 

“You’ve probably heard about the new workshop built up at the end of the street. Well, they’ll send a representative in the afternoon… their chief explained why exactly but I… um didn’t really understand him… Anyway, you should welcome them.”

 

Jongdae can’t help but picture the confusion on his boss’ face and it causes him breaking into a wide grin. He feels like laughing but that have to wait with the end of the call.

 

“’Kay. I’ll make sure to welcome them. And take care of the piano as well.”

 

“Thanks, Jongdae.” Junmyeon’s voice turns a bit warmer. “Sometimes I wonder what I would do without you.”

 

Jongdae bites his lip. Why couldn’t he stop at thanks?

 

“Well, I’m here so…”

 

“Yes, you are.”

 

 

Damn, this is awkward.

 

“I don’t want to hold you up I’m sure you’re outside the city for a reason, bye hyung.”

 

Jongdae doesn’t wait for goodbye, just ends the call and stuffs the device in the back pocket of his jeans. Maybe he really should ask Junmyeon about what is going on… if this goes on longer, Jongdae will surely go crazy.

Otherwise it’s a calm morning at the bookshop “El Dorado”. Customers come and go, some buys books, some just flips through the pages then leaves with a musing hum. A man in his forties complains about their “lacking” Japanese section. Jongdae would really like to tell him sorry for not selling exclusively but at the end just instructs him to a nearby manga and anime shop with a warning smile.

 

The piano arrives at noon.

 

Jongdae doesn’t notice it at first – too busy with convincing a mother that books about dinosaurs don’t hold her son’s brain back from development – but then his phone rings.

 

“Excuse me for a second.” Jongdae apologizes at goes to the side to answer. When he sees the name on the screen, he grunts. “Chanyeol –“

 

“Open the damn door!”

 

One look towards the entrance (Chanyeol with a pained face, a big brown thing right behind him, a mop of silver hair and face of total nonchalance closing the line) and Jongdae flies to do as he’s told.

 

There are only five people in the shop but all of them look up from what they’ve been looking at as a piano lands inside with a moderate thud.

 

“My arms~” Chanyeol whines, massaging his long limbs good for nothing. “Are you deaf? I was knocking like crazy!”

 

“Sorry but I’m working.” Jongdae fires back. “Next time call in advance.”

 

“You could have just left the door open.”

 

“All day? It’s autumn, you idiot.”

 

“Books can’t get a cold.”

 

“But the customers can…. besides last time I’ve checked you’ve had hands to pull on the handle!”

 

“It’s really entertaining watching you two argue but my lunch break is more precious than spending it with you.”

 

Jongdae turns to the owner of silver mop hair and usual nonchalant face surprised.

 

“Sehun-a, what are you doing here?”

 

Sehun is a part-timer at the Chinese take-away restaurant “Mandu” which is located right next to the music shop, “The Golden Song” where Chanyeol is supposed to work at. Since the two of them see each other a lot it would be understandable that Sehun agreed to help out but it’s Oh Sehun. He’s barely active enough to scribble down orders. Carrying pianos is beyond his abilities.

 

“Minseok hyung promised to bring bubble tea for me.” The youngest answers, face coming to life at the mention of his treasure. “Oh, and he sent some food for you.”

 

It’s Jongdae’s turn to light up as Sehun lifts his arm to show up a bag with a little box in Chinese design. God bless Kim Minseok and his kind heart.

 

“Let’s move this over before the lady throws that dinosaur book at us.” Chanyeol interrupts warily. “After that we can eat.”

 

They place the instrument to the back of the shop where it’s secluded enough to remain barely noticed and completely preserved until Chanyeol fills his wallet with its price.

 

“Are you sure no one will have their eyes on it?”

 

Jongdae rolls his eyes as Chanyeol caresses the piano as a mother would her first child after birth.

 

“We’re standing in front of the Latin & Greek Poetry section.”

 

“I doubt dust is interested enough to gather here.” Sehun scrunches his nose up as he watches rows of uniform white books standing soundlessly. “Have you ever read a book from here, hyung?”

 

Jongdae is slightly offended (he was a literature major, what kind of a question is that) but it’s too long of a conversation to carry out so turning a blind eye over it, reassures Chanyeol instead.

 

“I’m sure I can save it for you until you grow rich enough.”

 

Chanyeol stiffens a bit.

 

“You might have to keep it longer than you think.”

 

Jongdae blinks. Knowing Park Chanyeol, he has anticipated that option.

 

“Just work more diligently than Sehun and we’re good.”

 

Said boy stops picking his nails and lifts a hand to his heart with an expression intended to be hurt.

 

“You wound me, hyung.”

 

“No, I help you get your bubble tea.” Jongdae chuckles then looks at his wristwatch. “Let’s eat.”

 

 

 

Jongdae once again pats himself on the shoulder for befriending the owner of a Chinese restaurant, because outside of being a loyal and understanding friend Jongdae can always rely on, Kim Minseok is also a great cook who never forgets to test his new cuisines on his friend or get free food for his hungry stomach.

 

Putting the now empty box aside, Jongdae wipes his chopsticks and goes to the restroom to wash his face as well. Some pickles are left. He has to eat them later or else…

 

“You live with us so you eat our food”, Jongdae hears his mother complain even if she’s not present at the scene. “I’m not cooking for you to eat out, dear. Let me pack some.”

 

Living with your parents at the age of twenty-four is far worse than it sounds. Mama Kim always insists on that her son is too skinny and he’ll never gain weight if he only eats junk food while Papa Kim never fails to remind his son that he’s at the age of marrying a good girl and grounding an own family with a salary better than a bookshop employee’s… Jongdae can totally understand why Jongdeok had decided to move as far from their family home as possible. He loves his parents, no doubts about that, but Jongdae has passed the age which now lets him to take care of himself a long time ago. The Kim parents should acknowledge that and lessen their control a bit.

 

But it’s not like Jongdae can have a word. They’ve raised him since he was born, give up on things for him and never hesitated to give him what he has wanted. They’ve prepared him for life, even paved the way in front of him… Jongdae can’t be anything else but thankful.

 

So he texts his mom as he exists the restroom.

 

“How was lunch? I hope mom and dad could fill their stomach with something yummy… I’ll have a taste when I get home so leave some for me, please.

 

Jongdae gets back between the shelves with a smile. Mama Kim will be over the cloud when she sees the message.

 

He’s about to walk to the counter since they open in ten minutes but as he passes by the Latin & Greek Poetry section, he notices the forgotten piano and his legs stop.

 

In Chanyeol’s eyes every instrument is outstanding and beautiful (or as he always says “blessed with beauty and soul”) but Jongdae finds the piano gorgeous and glowing without considering that.

 

It’s not excessively big but just the right size for two people to comfortably sit next to it and play a piece for fours hands if they want. The contrast between the black and white keys is pleasing and the walnut colored wooden parts are practically shining. It definitely shows Chanyeol has taken care of it as there’s not even one layer of dust when Jongdae pulls a careful finger over its surface.

 

Re-opening is closer with every tick of the clock on the wall opposite but Jongdae pulls a chair next to piano and sits down in a whim.

 

His fingers rest on the keys comfortably. It’s been long since he’s played last. Sure he visits Chanyeol at the music shop sometimes but he’s never been bold enough to try some instruments out… the boss watches their every move anyway.

 

It wasn’t yesterday but Jongdae remembers which song he’s played last. He attended one of his younger cousins’ birthday and the little girl asked him to play something nice. Junghwa was five that time, nursery rhymes were considered uncool and boring, so Jongdae played the OST of the movie she liked the most then.

 

The melody starts unsure and quiet but as Jongdae gets more comfortable, gets lost in the pleasant music in his ears and the rapid but pleasantly stretching moving of his fingers, the music becomes stable and flows through the shop effortlessly.

 

It’s far from perfect, he has lost from technique and musicality that’s easy to detect, but Jongdae enjoys playing and even hums along after a few seconds into. Damn, he’d really like to sing also… The first words of the lyrics are on his tongue but before Jongdae could give in to them, he becomes aware of the shadow not far behind him.

 

He turns around at lightning’s speed, hands coming to rest in his lap, cheeks red from getting caught.

 

The intruder is a man with blonde hair and shining eyes.

 

“Sorry I… didn’t want to interrupt.”

 

Jongdae feels embarrassed for no reason he knows of but as the stranger smiles a little, he feels more at ease.

 

He lifts his head and carefully smiles back.

 

“How can I help you?”

 
 
~♫~
 
 
Baekhyun shuffles uncomfortably, the fact that the other male didn't notice him is embarrassing, but the fact that when he finally did, Baekhyun was staring bluntly at him, made it ten times more so.
 
He knows that out of everyone at Exotic, he is probably the best representative anyway, as Yixing would forget why he's here, Kyungsoo wouldn't be able to even speak and Yifan would just grumble and shout at the man playing the piano to do his job. However he can't help but feel nervous and to a certain extent extremely embarrassed, maybe because he was just staring, maybe because he let himself be mesmerised by the other's beautiful piano playing, nonetheless he has a job to do and for the good of their new shop, he has to give off a good appearance. 
 
"I have a piece for you..." Baekhyun explains and gestures over to the entrance down at the end of the shop that seems so far away.
 
"A piece?" The other male questions, and Baekhyun mentally slaps himself.
 
"Oh, sorry, I meant a piece of art, some artwork. My boss called your boss in and told him I was coming..."
 
The man by the piano suddenly opens his mouth and nods, as if he suddenly knows what Baekhyun is talking about, despite the fact that he was supposed to know anyway. Never mind, Yifan being Yifan, he probably explained that Baekhyun was coming today in the span of five seconds, the lazy bastard.
 
"Oh yeah, he said a representative was coming but...did we order some paintings?" He asks, looking confused, which Baekhyun is slightly amused at. His face altogether is something you can smile at, with slightly big ears, eyes that shine and lips that curl at the end like a cats, it's hard not to break in a smile when you look at it, but that doesn't mean it isn't handsome.
 
"N-no, but since we're new we thought we would give you a gift...I mean, if that's okay with you..." Baekhyun averts his eyes because the whole situation is just a bit confusing and embarrassing.
 
Damn you Yifan, now I wish you did come, you deserve this embarrassment more than I do.
 
The other nods vigorously and jumps up from his seat, which makes Baekhyun feel a little bit disappointed, since he sort of wants to hear more of the beautiful melody he was playing and humming. However he has a job and once the piano playing man is out of his seat and starts to walk back down the aisle, book shelves forming it so that it leads straight down to the front desk, he gestures for Baekhyun. 
 
He follows so that he's walking right next to the stranger, and just as he's about to introduce himself, the latter beats him to it. "Oh, I'm Jongdae by the way," he greets himself, throwing a smile towards Baekhyun's direction as they make their way down.
 
"Nice to meet you, I'm Baekhyun," Baekhyun returns the smile with the best he can offer. If he gives good service, maybe they'll come to their shop and buy some of their works, since this one is free. 
 
"Sorry I didn't answer the door Baekhyun, I was..."
 
Baekhyun chuckles, he's obviously trying to make some sort of excuse, but he doesn't mind; he played good, and it's not like there's much to do in a book shop, it must be a very boring job.
 
"It's okay, you play very well by the way," he compliments the other, saying what is on his mind (minus it being a boring job). Jongdae just shrugs, obviously not taking compliments extremely well, and smiles, saying, "Thanks, but I haven't played in a while."
 
"Really? I don't think I would've even have noticed," Baekhyun laughs, with Jongdae joins him in the end. He can play basic piano, but he sort of ditched it a long time ago and concentrated on art. Baekhyun never got anywhere more than High School, never even tried to go to collage, because he didn't want to waste his life trying to get some job that would exhaust him anyway, he was just desperate to get out of School and start his relaxing life, like a long holiday. Art isn't really a job for him, so he worked really hard until he found out about Yifan. Yifan is a friend of Baekhyun's friend, Zitao, and when said friend was fed up of Baekhyun complaining non-stop about how his brother was noisy with his girlfriend (when he didn't have a place of his own he lived with his older brother and his girlfriend), he told Baekhyun that he in fact had a friend who owned an art shop.
 
Baekhyun wondered why he didn't tell him earlier, that is until he found out how much of a jerk Yifan is, and it all made sense.
 
Nevertheless, Yifan gave him a place to work, which turned out to be a very successful, indeed small, but successful shop, and Baekhyun got the money and independence he needed. 
 
The two finally arrive at the front desk, which has a wrapped up picture that is just above Baekhyun's waist propped up against it.
 
Jongdae awes over it, and then turns to Baekhyun. "You carried this thing here by yourself?!"
 
Baekhyun laughs and shakes his head, explaining, "My friend Kyungsoo helped me, but then he dashed away like there's no tomorrow, he's kind of shy," Baekhyun rubs the back of his neck as Jongdae edges towards the wrapped up painting, Baekhyun being slightly apprehensive because the piece has a contribution of everybody in it, and they all worked fairly hard on it, even though it's free, Yifan said to call it 'advertisement', and that we had to show the best we can offer.
 
Jongdae comes right up to the big square shape and brushes his fingers over the brown paper before halting, turning his head to look at Baekhyun.
 
"May I?"
 
"Sure," Baekhyun nods, shrugging his shoulders like he doesn't mind, but of course he's sitting on the edge of his seat on whether the member of staff will like it or not. He watches with interested eyes as Jongdae gently strips the work of the paper, and the air seems to leave his lips as he eyes the art.
 
It's not a painting, more of a collage. There are lots of words that look like they belonged to a newspaper, cut out and stuck to create a picture. The picture is of a man and woman, sitting on a bench, both reading a book of their own, oblivious to the world surrounding them. Everything in the picture is made out of cut out letters, and Jongdae eyes it like he's just seen gold, which pleases Baekhyun.
 
"It's amazing? Did you do this?"
 
"Everyone who works in our shop participated, except from Yifan, he just supplied us with the newspapers," I explain, then point to the three signatures that show the three artists who worked on it. Baekhyun personally liked it a lot, and sorta wanted it for himself, feeling a little selfish.
 
"Thank you very much, and to the others too, how much is it?" Jongdae asks, looking like he can't take his eyes off it for even a mere second.
 
Baekhyun shakes his head. "It costs nothing, it's a gift, remember?" Baekhyun smiles, a warm feeling bubbling inside of him; it's always nice to have someone appreciate your artwork, unlike the endless critics who run in and out of the shop, it's nice to have someone who just compliments it and to have a break from harsh words.
 
"Are you sure? I mean, it must've took a while..."
 
"Jongdae, please," I rest a hand on one of the corners of the canvas and make sure my smile is clearly on show. "It's fine, we all love reading anyway," he beams and Jongdae seems satisfied with the answer and nods. He then starts running a hand over the edge of the canvas and asks, "We'll I'll put it up now, if you don't have anything else to do could you help?"
 
"Yeah, sure," and then Baekhyun watches as the latter heads behind the counter and disappears for a moment, seemingly bending down to get something until he pops back up with a hammer, nails, measuring tape and a pencil.
 
Baekhyun snickers, "Should I be concerned you have a hammer behind the counter?"
 
"Yeah, like I should totally use this to bash the heads of some of the customers," Jongdae remarks sarcastically, followed up with a laugh and returns by Baekhyun's side as they start to plan where they're going to put the piece of art work.
 
 
 
After quite a while and a bit of struggle, Jongdae hammered the nails into their place while balancing on a bunch of old books that apparently no one cares about anyway that were on top of a chair, and then with Baekhyun trying to lift the heavy piece up, they managed to get the 3D canvas to rest on the nails that were hammered neatly into the wall.
 
Jongdae got down with a bit of help from Baekhyun and the two stood for a moment, admiring the sepia themed picture, while Baekhyun felt a bubble of pride inside of him.
 
"It's beautiful," Jongdae lets out in a small whisper, which Baekhyun almost mistakes for a breath as it's so quiet. He can't necessarily agree because that would make him look big headed, but he has to admit, it matches the library, and even the piano in which it's hung close by, very well. 
 
"Thank you, we worked very hard on it," Baekhyun explains, then whips around to face Jongdae once more and digs into his pocket before he brings out a small card, and with a bow of his head he passes it into Jongdae's hands.
 
"This is our card, for our shop Exotic, if you ever need some more art, we're just down the street," Baekhyun says and watches as Jongdae reads through the card with interested eyes, a smile flickering over his features before he raises his head and then tilts it to the side slightly.
 
"Free again?"
 
Baekhyun laughs, "I don't think so sadly, Yifan would be mad if he let me do that," and wonders if Jongdae was genuine or just joking. In the end they end up standing, looking at the picture and enveloped into a slightly awkward silence, until Baekhyun breaks it.
 
"W-well, I have to go, Yifan will be mad if I stay any longer..."
 
"Okay, and thanks a lot," Jongdae says, eyes glimmering as Baekhyun takes eye contact from the male for a moment.
 
"No problem." 
 
 

 

 

Yay! They finally meet! Sorry i didn't put my own a/n on the other chapter, I really have no excuse *bows* I really appriciate all the subs for only one chapter and I'd like to thank you all for your amazingness!!!! *blows unicorn kisses*

Don't forget to comment, we looove to hear what you think! :3

Wuv you~

 

What do you think about our mains' first encounter? Did you like it? What are your thoughts on the chapters so far? Don't hesitate to give us some feedback in order to know if what we do is cool or not. ;) Also we've written a notice already but thanks for the subs and views, it really means a lot to us and urges us to work harder. Thank you! :3

xoxo, bea